Alrewas Trent river section

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Passed you at Willington yesterday on our way down to Newark. We too are keeping a close eye on river levels. Might have to wait a few days at Shardlow.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2104

Implies river is rising again but it was just under that orange line when we came across on Sunday so should be ok for you if you go now or tomorrow.

45 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

We're currently at Trent lock, its about an inch above the amber..... Apparently an inch makes all the difference....

New CRT webpage still shows Cranfleet Flood Lock as closed but they don't show Derwent Mouth Lock. I guess if Cranfleet reopens then it will be OK to head on down.

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

We're currently at Trent lock, its about an inch above the amber..... Apparently an inch makes all the difference....

Glad you got out and about. Sad that the river is misbehaving. Chucking it down here at Branston. Bloomin' cold wind this afternoon. Lit the fire. 

Its not that bad. Confusion as between Trent lock and Derwent mouth some are red and some are amber. Needless to say I was thirsty so am now moored in shardlow. 

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Glad you got out and about. Sad that the river is misbehaving. Chucking it down here at Branston. Bloomin' cold wind this afternoon. Lit the fire. 

We may catch you up tomorrow. A pub would be good!

CRT say that Sawley Locks shut! 

We shall be at Shardlow tomorrow so probably pass you.

Not seen another boat moving between Willington and Weston today until a boat came by in the dark a few minutes ago.

Give a wave to Joanie M.

Just now, pearley said:

CRT say that Sawley Locks shut! 

We shall be at Shardlow tomorrow so probably pass you.

Not seen another boat moving between Willington and Weston today until a boat came by in the dark a few minutes ago.

Give a wave to Joanie M.

Will do!

I arrived there one day just as they were locking the gates at the top, I stuck to the right hand towpath all the way up and was thrashing engine past the wier. 

The left turn into the lock channel was scary, I had to keep pointing the nose at the walkway to make progress.

They normally have two teams to lock it at the same time, but only one van was available so they were going to lock the top first and then drive and lock the Barton Turns end.

One of my more memorable boating moments.!

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Suppose you're in Preston Brook now!!

Only because there was no one in our way getting back from Castlefield. We were hoping to make Anderton for the night...... ?

Actually we tied up between Hoo Mill and Weston. We were delayed by the autumnal 1mph cruising club.

I spent most of my time between kings Bromley marina and the far side of rugeley on tickover or out of gear. I don't have a problem with people wanting a slow slow life, but don't hold others up who wish to cruise as close to the speed limit as they wish, pull over and let them pass when safe to do so.

29 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

I spent most of my time between kings Bromley marina and the far side of rugeley on tickover or out of gear. I don't have a problem with people wanting a slow slow life, but don't hold others up who wish to cruise as close to the speed limit as they wish, pull over and let them pass when safe to do so.

Yes it can be very annoying. What we usually do under such circumstances is move up close to the boat in front and call to them nicely asking if we may overtake. Usually works. But I suppose it’s more difficult if you are single handing.

If that fails, get some overlap and push their stern over so they crash into the bushes. Then slip past whilst they are extricating themselves.

Oops, did I just say that out loud?!!!

• Haha 1