Isuzu 35 calorfier circuit

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, GrahamSop said:

Hi,

On an Isuzu 35, does the calorifier circuit take coolant from the main engine header tank, or is it a separate circuit?

I need to replace the hoses going to my calorifier.

Thanks for any info

On most canal boats, irrespective of type of engine, the calorifier is heated by two coils. One coil is heated by the engine coolant, and one by the central heating system (diesel, gas or solid fuel).

11 minutes ago, GrahamSop said:

Hi,

On an Isuzu 35, does the calorifier circuit take coolant from the main engine header tank, or is it a separate circuit?

I need to replace the hoses going to my calorifier.

Thanks for any info

Where do the hoses to be replaced go from/too? Why are you planning to replace them? Is it because they are perished? If so, why would you not just replicate the current set up? Is it because the calorifier heating isn't working properly? Trying to understand why you are asking the question if you already have these hoses in place.

Jen

Jen

My guess is that on a modern type engine it is a single coolant system so that in dealing with the cauliflower hoses you are dealing with the whole coolant system not a separate part.  It is on mine (Beta 43). Is that what you wanted to know?

The confusing thing is the "main engine header tank". The coolant circulated through the calorifier will have come from the engine header tank but usually via a tapping on the cylinder head. The coolant will then return yo the engine water pump via a Connection just before thee water pump inlet. Sometimes that is a connection to the manifold cum header tank.

20 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Where do the hoses to be replaced go from/too? Why are you planning to replace them? Is it because they are perished? If so, why would you not just replicate the current set up? Is it because the calorifier heating isn't working properly? Trying to understand why you are asking the question if you already have these hoses in place.

Jen

Jen

Sorry for the lack of context. Everything is working fine, I'm not replacing them, just thinking about shortening them, as I'm possibly moving the calorifier back by about 1.5m.

If it's fiddly and not worth breaking the circuit, bleeding etc. then I won't bother, but I'd like to know more about the circuit...:

20 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

My guess is that on a modern type engine it is a single coolant system so that in dealing with the cauliflower hoses you are dealing with the whole coolant system not a separate part.  It is on mine (Beta 43). Is that what you wanted to know?

Yes, this is what I want to know.

19 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The confusing thing is the "main engine header tank". The coolant circulated through the calorifier will have come from the engine header tank but usually via a tapping on the cylinder head. The coolant will then return yo the engine water pump via a Connection just before thee water pump inlet. Sometimes that is a connection to the manifold cum header tank.

I should have said "the only coolant header tank". It's at the top of the engine, above the exhaust manifold. Good to know that you think the coolant in the calorifier will have come from the engine header tank. Tonight I can check exactly where the hose connections are on the engine, but they are in the vicinity of the water pump.

Unfortunately there aren't isolation valves where the calorifier hoses come off the engine, so I'm not 100% sure what will happen if I open the circuit.

I imagine any coolant higher than wherever I make the break will drain out, but maybe the pump when not running will prevent it from draining?

But if it's all one system, and if it is fed from the header tank, will it self-bleed any air that gets trapped when putting everything back together?

Thanks for all the help so far :) 

2 minutes ago, GrahamSop said:

But if it's all one system, and if it is fed from the header tank, will it self-bleed any air that gets trapped when putting everything back together?

Having just installed a calorifier heated by the engine cooling circuit, I would say probably not. I had to bleed the air out of our circuit by cracking the top joint of the calorifier.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Having just installed a calorifier heated by the engine cooling circuit, I would say probably not. I had to bleed the air out of our circuit by cracking the top joint of the calorifier.

Ok, thanks! I was thinking to put a bleed point at the top just in case.

Bleeding the top most part of the loop from the engine to the cauliflower will be needed for sure.

11 minutes ago, GrahamSop said:

Sorry for the lack of context. Everything is working fine, I'm not replacing them, just thinking about shortening them, as I'm possibly moving the calorifier back by about 1.5m.

If it's fiddly and not worth breaking the circuit, bleeding etc. then I won't bother, but I'd like to know more about the circuit...:

Ah, all makes sense. If the surplus 1.5m of hose isn't going to be untidy, then they could stay. Not a big job to shorten them. If they are hoses, rather than hard pipes, you could put clamps on them to minimise coolant loss while they are being shortened. Will still need to bleed it, bt shouldn't be hard to do.

Jen