Tipcat and short button, or a long button?

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

Time to change the rear fender on our boat.  She currently has a very misshaped long button, probably with a coir core, so I was looking to get a similar one, but with a solid rubber centre.  However, our local chandler recommended to go short, with a tipcat behind.  I have to say that I prefer the look of the latter, but as each is the same price as the long button, the cost is double, I am struggling to see any advantage other than the aesthetic.

Any views, well of course there’ll be views, so any advice?

Edited by The Dreamer

If you need to lift the button out to give more room, it's easier to lift a short one (and easier to drop back in place) - also with the short button removed and the rudder turned to the side, you still have some protection for the stern with the tipcat

49 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If you go for the tipcat and button make sure you have fixing points in the correct places, we had to get extra fixings welded on so I could have the right look.

Three tipcats is the solution I have always preferred as it prevents the butty running down the counter when on cross straps - cost being a distant second when compared to practicalities and protecting the stern of the boat.:captain:

14 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Two chunky tipcats and a button, for me. The whole purpose is to protect the ellum from impact. The cost of an extra fender is way less than having a rudder stock or ellum straightened. Honestly!

Dave

And me! Which reminds me I need to get some new ones booked in with Brian at Bollington pretty soon!