Large scale Battery storage

dor

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, dor said:

An interesting development:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/10/scottish-power-build-vast-battery-improve-wind-energy

Could bring down the cost of Lithium-ion batteries.

When criminals steal the copper cables off the railways - what chance will these lithium batteries have ?

44 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When criminals steal the copper cables off the railways - what chance will these lithium batteries have ?

I don't think they'll just leave them around in a field - they'll presumably be in a building along with the control gear and chargers and inverters.

MP.

• Haha 1

The biomass power station near the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal has had a 10MW battery facility for a couple of years.  They look like overgrown frieght containers when seen from the nearby road

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

To the best of my knowledge nobody has yet stolen a copper still from any of the working distilleries, and while Scottish Power is hardly 'The Hydro' I'm sure they'll manage to find a building to put then in. ?

9 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Tesla set to reduce battery manufacturing costs. Also super capacitors for rapid charge/discharge

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/02/tesla-buys-maxwell-to-eventually-triple-battery-energy-density.html

Tesla are aiming for a million mile battery next year, should last a car's lifetime, + 400 mile range. 

17 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

To the best of my knowledge nobody has yet stolen a copper still from any of the working distilleries, and while Scottish Power is hardly 'The Hydro' I'm sure they'll manage to find a building to put then in. ?

The copper earth straps are regularly nicked from inside sub stations and I know at least once a whole sub was dragged out of the building and the copper nicked

:)

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

The copper earth straps are regularly nicked from inside sub stations and I know at least once a whole sub was dragged out of the building and the copper nicked

:)

Where was that?  :o

When i worked for BT about once a year the copper cables for the mobile (trailer mounted) generators used to provide temporary standby power were stolen.

Occasionally the thieves would nick the cables whilst the generator was operating, usually by chopping through the cables with an axe.