Longest Trailable Boat

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

err .... no ... I sold the boat and built an electric one on a fishing launch hull; now moved on to a home designed purpose built one shortly to be launched when the sun comes out again.   Minnkota outboard power.   

P1000775.JPG

Oddly disappointed ... that steam launch replica with solar roof would have been awesome.

MrsBiscuit wouldn't let me buy or build one, but I'd love to see one ...

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

err .... no ... I sold the boat and built an electric one on a fishing launch hull; now moved on to a home designed purpose built one shortly to be launched when the sun comes out again.   Minnkota outboard power.   

P1000775.JPG

I thought you was using an outboard, I assumed that you had changed to the one in the picture, mind thats a nice boat as well,

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Oddly disappointed ... that steam launch replica with solar roof would have been awesome.

Frolics were sold as standard with electric, option steam, or for real charlatans - diesel.   Mine had been electric, it had previously been bought by a Russian oligarch as a plaything on his country house estate, having been converted to diesel.  Most of those on the Thames are electric, many are for daily hire from their Henley base where they are charged up overnight.  

10 hours ago, Murflynn said:

Frolics were sold as standard with electric, option steam, or for real charlatans - diesel.   Mine had been electric, it had previously been bought by a Russian oligarch as a plaything on his country house estate, having been converted to diesel.  Most of those on the Thames are electric, many are for daily hire from their Henley base where they are charged up overnight.  

A real shame that spoiled by a clattery diesel

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Regulation 7 (5) (b) still limits the length of (i) the towing vehicle to a maximum of 9.2m; and (ii) the length of the towing vehicle and trailer combination to a maximum of 25.9m

Coincidentally yesterday I was chatting to a guy who displays a full size replica Spitfire (Supermarine, not Triumph) to shows using a Landy as the tow car. The wings are removable (obviously) but the trailer length is around 10.5m excluding tow hitch. MGW of vehicle and loaded trailer is around the 3.5t limit. He spent a long time with the authorities to obtain a permit to travel but succeeded eventually. He’s limited to motorways or major A roads for the bulk of any journey, plus a 50mph limit, so he can travel whenever he wants, wherever he wants, but must contact local police at his destination prior to departure. 

27 minutes ago, cuthound said:

When i worked for BT they had a couple of Land Rover Defenders with a conversion to allow them to tow air braked trailers. It increases the maximum trailervweight from 3500kg to 4500kg IIRC. 

That's what Tony had on his land cruiser, so I suspect he has the same on the ram.

Tachograph fitted too of course.

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

When i worked for BT they had a couple of Land Rover Defenders with a conversion to allow them to tow air braked trailers. It increases the maximum trailervweight from 3500kg to 4500kg IIRC. 

Provision for 4 bolt ring hitch, plus addition of a compressor and air lines to run air brakes. Has to be done by manufacturer, as it involves a new VIN plate.