Mr D's Thermal Cooker

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Has anyone tried one of these?

https://mrdscookware.co.uk/

Mrs Bob is fancying one but wondered if they worked. Some real life experience would be interesting to hear.

Will it cook duck?

Not one of those but BSP uses a insulated bag thing that does a similar job and she likes it, it seems to work well.

If it's any interest she uses one of these as well

https://www.hot-potato.co.uk

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 1

I don't have any experience of Mr D's but I have heard good things about thermal cooking. A few of the outdoors centres use stuff like that.

You can get bag ones though. 

iu.jpeg

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Not one of those but BSP uses a insulated bag thing that does a similar job and she likes it, it seems to work well

Oops crossed post Mr Monkey pipped me to the post - see what I did there :giggles:

Edited by Tumshie
To make better sense.
  • Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Has anyone tried one of these?

https://mrdscookware.co.uk/

Mrs Bob is fancying one but wondered if they worked. Some real life experience would be interesting to hear.

Will it cook duck?

Yup, it’s very good. Loads of recipes online and if you sign up then Mr D will email a recipe a month. It’s only good for slow cooker type recipes - curries, stews etc - but it works very well and of course uses very little fuel; just enough to get everything hot at the beginning. 

• Greenie 1

modern variation on a cooking pit/haybox/cooking bag, friend has one of the bag thingies and swears by it.

wife saw one on a YouTube vid from Foxes Afloat I think and quite fancied one until she saw the price :D

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

modern variation on a cooking pit/haybox/cooking bag, friend has one of the bag thingies and swears by it.

wife saw one on a YouTube vid from Foxes Afloat I think and quite fancied one until she saw the price :D

Yes, Mrs Bob saw the same video and thought it was expensive........hence the post on here to see how well it works.

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yup, it’s very good. Loads of recipes online and if you sign up then Mr D will email a recipe a month. It’s only good for slow cooker type recipes - curries, stews etc - but it works very well and of course uses very little fuel; just enough to get everything hot at the beginning. 

I guess it will work better than a bag as it uses a vacuum as insulation therefore will keep the heat in better. It sounds a good solution for the boat.

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Technical question now Tony from Mrs Bob.

Have you got the single pot or the twin pot? Seems like the advantage of the top pot is to take up space in the main pot so save energy.

We use a slow cooker plugged into the inverter when cruising, especially on chilly autumn, winter and spring days.

Cheaper to buy than a Mr D thingy, and uses a minimal extra amount of diesel, plus a lot less faffing.

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I seem to remember this being where BSP makes her dilithium crystals. ?

Ahh yes, she is slightly absent minded,  not uncommon for me to comment on the smell of cooking and find something resembling a hockey puck or charcoal in the cooker :)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Technical question now Tony from Mrs Bob.

Have you got the single pot or the twin pot? Seems like the advantage of the top pot is to take up space in the main pot so save energy.

We have the twin pot, but you only use the top pot if you’re doing rice or similar, so it’s useful albeit not essential. 

One correction on your previous note - it doesn’t use a vacuum, just air space. You put the inner pot on the stove when you’re getting everything going then drop that into the outer. When you forget and put the outer on the stove and subsequently contact Mr D to say you’ve been very foolish and melted the bottom of it he’s very sympathetic and sends you a new plastic bottom for free. It’s very tight to fit. 

• Haha 1

Do you want ours? The catch on the lid is broken so you might want to put something heavy on top while using, just to be sure it's properly closed.

We always thought it worked pretty well - though we were never sure it keeps things properly hot quite as long as claimed - but it's main use is slow cooking meat and we've now gone vegan, so really it's just taking up space. PM me if interested and we'll figure out if we're going to be anywhere near each other.

Oh and yes, it is the twin pot version.

Was thinking about trying to create a Dutch Oven which works on similar principles. This is a heavy cast iron pan with a lid, bring the ingredients to boil, take off heat and put the pan into a box lined with insulation. Trouble was I couldn't think how to do this without setting the boat on fire! 

What people must not do is to confuse the 'Dutch Oven' as above with the slang version of 'Dutch Oven' - do NOT Google "slang, Dutch Oven", repeat DO  NOT Google "slang, Dutch Oven"! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

What people must not do is to confuse the 'Dutch Oven' as above with the slang version of 'Dutch Oven' - do NOT Google "slang, Dutch Oven", repeat DO  NOT Google "slang, Dutch Oven"! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

You do know that half the forum has by now googled dutch oven - I haven't obviously - no seriously, I haven't. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Tumshie said:

You do know that half the forum has by now googled dutch oven - I haven't obviously - no seriously, I haven't. 

Sorry but I can't be responsible for other forum users being norty! They shouldn't be so nosy :) 

• Haha 1