BCN Challenge map, text details & updates thread

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Welcome all to the semi-official CWDF/BCN Challenge 2014 information and tracking thread.

I will be collating and posting updates, data, gossip and other info on the challenge and the progress of the competitors here.

Here’s what you need to know:

Firstly, there is no onus or obligation on entrant boats to take part in any of this tracking and updating, it is totally voluntary. I will not add you to the map or post information about your progress or your team without your permission, so please feel free to take part as much or as little as you wish.

The Map

We have the BCN Challenge progress map. This is located here:

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=974535

and our finish line of Hawne Basin is marked with the optimistically large trophy. Each coloured icon on the rest of the map corresponds to competing teams; you can see which team is which by hovering over the marker in question.

To have your team ADDED to the map, please let me know your current location and team (boat) name.

I will then add you to the map, and pm you a direct link to allow you to move your own marker as and when you wish to. You can also add pictures or other media to your pin; as the time of the last update does not show on the map, entering it in the details area may be useful to allow people to track you more accurately!

You can change your location by using a postcode, or entering a place name and searching for it.

This very helpful document by Kustomcut gives addresses for lots of major parts of the BCN system, to help you.

I think we all understand that if it goes a bit wobbly and shows you on a road next to the canal rather than the canal itself, that the chances are you’re not actually being trailered home.

If you wish to be added to the map but prefer me to move your marker as and when you ask, or if you will not be able to get online over the challenge to do it yourself but would still like to be on the map, please pm me and I can do this for you by phone updates that you can text to me.

Twitter feed

I have set up a Twitter feed @BCNChallenge, which you can follow here: https://twitter.com/BCNChallenge

So please feel free to Tweet directly @BCNChallenge, or use the hashtag #BCNChallenge to mark related comments. I will re-tweet, update and provide info in the Twitter feed as and when possible, as well as on the forum within this thread.

Phone contact

I have got a phone number especially for the BCN Challenge, to serve as a central point or hub for information exchange and updating.

This phone number is: 07887912317

And you can text or call it with updates, gossip, locations, requests to change your spot on the map, or anything you want, really.

If you are happy for me to store the number for your team in the phone, please advise in your first message or call; otherwise, please ensure that you mention in each text/call who or what team you are in! Feel free to start sending details now if you would like me to store your number.

PLEASE NOTE this is a basic old phone with a long battery life but no bells and whistles, so please do not send images to it.

This number might also be helpful if anyone runs into problems and wants to know who is nearby, or to pass messages back and fore.

I will not pass on your number to any other party without your express permission, and after the challenge is complete, the SIM will be wiped or destroyed.

Updates

As a general rule, I will make an effort to make updates to everything every four hours or so; possibly more often. But bear in mind that I am doing the challenge myself, so may be in the middle of a lock flight or out of signal range, so these timings may not be exact!

Updates will be made on the forum and to the map first and foremost, but to the Twitter feed as and when this is possible.

Thank you!

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

Thank you for all your work in setting this up, it is going to be fun. Could you add Team Red Wharf to the map? We are currently at Lapworth, going up the flight on Thursday morning. I will text you so you can add my no to your phone.

Thanks Libby

Thank you for all your work in setting this up, it is going to be fun. Could you add Team Red Wharf to the map? We are currently at Lapworth, going up the flight on Thursday morning. I will text you so you can add my no to your phone.

Thanks Libby

Are you really sure you want to do that Thursday morning, there is a severe weather warning out for Thursday AM. My plan was to run into Birmingham Thursday morning but am going to keep an eye on the weather and may leave it until PM if it's bad.

One thing I did today was to put the nearest postcode for each junction we are doing on our master plan, then the crew can use that to update the map.

Edited by john6767

Thanks for that but there is a change of plan, RW will be moving up the flight tomorrow, ready for me to join her at Hockley Heath in the evening. We want to be in B'ham Thursday evening. Fancy a pint at the Wellington?

Team Cobbett is positioned on her mooring by the Dog and Doublet, lined up for her mystery start point.

Anyone fancy a pint in the Dog on Friday evening? We shall eating there at 7.30 and enjoying pint or three whilst doing the planning. If you'd like to join us let me know and I'll up the booking numbers.

Sally Ash?

No, John's Beloved, ace-cake maker and rope-handler .... Edited by wrigglefingers

Many thanks for setting this up. I just added myself, but appear to have already won, as I'm holding the cup. Restful weekend for me, then.

No change then.

We are on the map, "Team Firefly", location is where I hope to be tomorrow.

Team Cobbett is positioned on her mooring by the Dog and Doublet, lined up for her mystery start point.

Anyone fancy a pint in the Dog on Friday evening? We shall eating there at 7.30 and enjoying pint or three whilst doing the planning. If you'd like to join us let me know and I'll up the booking numbers.

No, John's Beloved, ace-cake maker and rope-handler ....

Don't mention the rope......

Poppy is on the map and will stay exactly where she is until Friday evening when we will make a mad dash the whole mile or two to the city centre. I need to set my crew to delivering an small icon to Starry. Someone seems to have already bagged a sunflower pic so we'll have to use a poppy I suppose!

Quick update!

Red Wharf currently moored by Blue Bell, Illshaw Heath.

One third of 'Team Red Wharf' currently partaking of refreshment and WiFi.

Onward to Brum this a'noon/pm.

Head up to the Bluebell and say hi to Alan Fox (gaffer), if you up to it try a mega mixed grill you will not need to eat for the rest of the challenge.

Also on another issue when we input to the map we ideally need postcodes etc, when you login using the link Starry gave us to change location I have added a file here that shows what to enter to get your pin in pretty much the correct place have a look and lemme know what you think, feel free to cut and paste here also.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6E8B56387BC863B5!2352&authkey=!APZGkFbnf3n7ggs&ithint=file%2c.pdf

Hope it helps and saved Starry having to manually move all the pins cause we don't know postcodes or correct location names for the map.

Quick update!

You must be right behind me? I passed Blue Bell a few hours ago. Just gone past Cadburys World.

Very slow going, either my boat is broke or the bottom is too close to the top.

Also, how do I move my icon on the map?

Quick update!

Just seen the boat locked up, assumed you would be in the pub!

Can people please message me to be added to the map, rather than adding themseles? This allows me to make sure everyone has an individual icon and a team name, rather than several trophies and the current "anonymous" of lady lane. If people start messing with "my system" I am not going to be able to keep track of it, and the only trophy should be the finish one.

Edited by Starcoaster