Phone Cable

KevMc

Featured Posts

I sat down to some internet browsing last night and was mildly disappointed to find I had no signal ... I rebooted the router to no avail; I unplugged and replugged all the connections and still the router was flashing red instead of the reassuring blue glow :-(

I am beginning to suspect that the domestic phone cable I use to connect from the external phone point isn't up to the job in the cold weather ... so ....

... is there anyone out there who can confirm or contradict my diagnosis ?

... and if I am right suggest an alternative to the lightweight cable that is readily available

Thanks

Can't say I've heard of the cold weather causing that - have you checked your BB provider's service status either on their web page (now that you appear to internet access somehow) or by giving them a bell.

I doubt it is cold weather, but clearly normal land line phone extension leads are really designed for internal use, and could deteriorate over time if used externally.

Certainly the stuff used for fixed extension sockets in a house breaks down if put on external walls and is subjected to strong skylight.

As they are cheap, why not just see if a replacement improves things? I've not come across external grade leads nut they may exist. If not you may need to budget to replace occasionally.

Is the actual jack it plugs into outside well protected from the elements, or could the problem lie there?

I am of the same opinion as Martin, either your broadband was down and /or the router is 'broken'.

The only other thing I can think of is the connections in the outside box maybe affected bt the weather ie, corrosion.

Thanks everyone ....

... it was down all last night but I'll check again tonight ..... and buy a replacement cable (and ADSL filter) .... it's not so much the cost that is a pain (there're only a couple of quid) it's the inconvenience - so perhaps I will buy a couple

I suppose I hoped that spending a few quid extra would give me peace of mind :-(

Kev -

I used to have a landline connection at Apsley for the broadband, but found it cheaper (and faster) to use 'three's unlimited data.

The signal is excellent in the marina, download speeds often around 12MB, far better than the phoneline.

Uploading was no issue either, I needed it for work, and regularly exceed 25GB's a month.

Perhaps look at ditching the landline altogether.

Tony

Kev -

I used to have a landline connection at Apsley for the broadband, but found it cheaper (and faster) to use 'three's unlimited data.

The signal is excellent in the marina, download speeds often around 12MB, far better than the phoneline.

Uploading was no issue either, I needed it for work, and regularly exceed 25GB's a month.

Perhaps look at ditching the landline altogether.

Tony

Thanks Tony - I'll have a look into that .... although I have an aversion to 3 .... I might overcome that if it's going to be more reliable (and portable)

most telephone and Cat5 / 6 cable is solid core, fine for fixed domestic or office use or anywhere it keeps still really but can break through flexing so try and get multi strand if you don't already have it, preferably tinned too if available.

I sat down to some internet browsing last night and was mildly disappointed to find I had no signal ... I rebooted the router to no avail; I unplugged and replugged all the connections and still the router was flashing red instead of the reassuring blue glow :-(

I am beginning to suspect that the domestic phone cable I use to connect from the external phone point isn't up to the job in the cold weather ... so ....

... and if I am right suggest an alternative to the lightweight cable that is readily available

Thanks

Had a similar problem last week and went through everything that you have done. Eventually solved it by reinstalling the router using the CD that came with it.

Hope this helps

Tim

most telephone and Cat5 / 6 cable is solid core, fine for fixed domestic or office use or anywhere it keeps still really but can break through flexing so try and get multi strand if you don't already have it, preferably tinned too if available.

thats certainly the case for the 'fixed wiring' but isn't the case for telephone extension leads or 'patch cords' Telephone extension leads are generaly flex of some sort, the better ones being more robust (and flexible).

the most likely problems here are: problem at any connectors (line jacks) particularly if they are exposed to the damp, faliure of the micro filter (you can run without one especially if you re not actually using the landline for phone calls) or break down of the 'extension lead' either physical damage ( coming through window/door for instance) or repeated flexing breaking the insulation or conductors

If the router has a wireless capability I would try plugging it straight into the BT socket and seeing how it works to prove the ADSL service/router then add the extension leads /filter

Had a similar problem last week and went through everything that you have done. Eventually solved it by reinstalling the router using the CD that came with it.

Hope this helps

Tim

You should never need to use a CD that comes with a router.

You should never need to use a CD that comes with a router.

Or modem!

thats certainly the case for the 'fixed wiring' but isn't the case for telephone extension leads or 'patch cords' Telephone extension leads are generaly flex of some sort, the better ones being more robust (and flexible).

the most likely problems here are: problem at any connectors (line jacks) particularly if they are exposed to the damp, faliure of the micro filter (you can run without one especially if you re not actually using the landline for phone calls) or break down of the 'extension lead' either physical damage ( coming through window/door for instance) or repeated flexing breaking the insulation or conductors

If the router has a wireless capability I would try plugging it straight into the BT socket and seeing how it works to prove the ADSL service/router then add the extension leads /filter

That is why I used the phrase "If you don't already have it" as none of us knows what has been used in this case apart from the OP

Thanks - I hadn't thought of bypassing the filter - I don't use a landline phone so as you say it isn't needed .... it could be the line jack at the outside connection as that is unplugged every time I move the boat

Thanks

If you do want/need to replace I ended up using long decent quality Cat5 patch lead.

It's a LOT more robust than phone extension lead, also being twisted pair it's better for the ADSL signal too. Avoid the cheapest stuff though and go for stranded 24AWG 100% copper, something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT5e-Patch-Leads-Ethernet-LAN-Cables-10-100-Network-10-Colours-to-Choose-From-/181157236642

Then use Cat5 to BT adapters to convert to the RJ45 plug on the end to a BT socket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-RJ45-BT-Secondary-Voice-Adapter-258A-Digital-Phone-/170316647234

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271300605359

That leaves you needing a BT to BT lead at one end. So, either buy a ready made lead, or buy a few plugs and make one up, or use a BT to RJ11 lead and then a RJ11 to BT adapter.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Thanks - I hadn't thought of bypassing the filter - I don't use a landline phone so as you say it isn't needed .... it could be the line jack at the outside connection as that is unplugged every time I move the boat

I dont think you can bypass the filter as the plug on the end of your cable coming from your router will be smaller than your phone socket plug...

I dont think you can bypass the filter as the plug on the end of your cable coming from your router will be smaller than your phone socket plug...

you can get RJ11/LJU adapters - lots of modems (remember them ?) used to come with them or RJ11-LJU cables that would plug the router straight into the phone socket. .

If you do want/need to replace I ended up using long decent quality Cat5 patch lead.

It's a LOT more robust than phone extension lead, also being twisted pair it's better for the ADSL signal too. Avoid the cheapest stuff though and go for stranded 24AWG 100% copper, something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT5e-Patch-Leads-Ethernet-LAN-Cables-10-100-Network-10-Colours-to-Choose-From-/181157236642

Then use Cat5 to BT adapters to convert to the RJ45 plug on the end to a BT socket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-RJ45-BT-Secondary-Voice-Adapter-258A-Digital-Phone-/170316647234

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271300605359

That leaves you needing a BT to BT lead at one end. So, either buy a ready made lead, or buy a few plugs and make one up, or use a BT to RJ11 lead and then a RJ11 to BT adapter.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

gosh that's a pretty complicated way of doing it, although agree with the sentiment of using a better quality cable. it all depends on where the BT master socket is in relation to the OP's boat. and does he need a long 'extension lead' of some sort. If the OP can make up a RJ11/LJU cable then thats what I would do using preferably a cat 5 cable. (you only need to connect the middle 2 pins up so would only need one pair of wires in the cat 5 ) - rather than trying to source and connect multiple leads/connectors.

Thanks

Sorry i fi am missing something here, is this on your boat or house?

gosh that's a pretty complicated way of doing it, although agree with the sentiment of using a better quality cable. it all depends on where the BT master socket is in relation to the OP's boat. and does he need a long 'extension lead' of some sort. If the OP can make up a RJ11/LJU cable then thats what I would do using preferably a cat 5 cable. (you only need to connect the middle 2 pins up so would only need one pair of wires in the cat 5 ) - rather than trying to source and connect multiple leads/connectors.

You mean something like this?: smile.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15M-CAT5E-EXTERNAL-ADSL-BROADBAND-CABLE-RJ11-RJ11-/350718787791

But I've got a feeling the cable is solid not stranded....

Or there's this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15m-BLACK-RJ11-ADSL-BROADBAND-TWISTED-PAIR-CABLE-LEAD-/260939703595

But I've got a feeling the cable isn't much better than phone extension lead. Hmmm.

To make your own cables you'd need a decent RJ11/RJ45 crimper and ideally a decent BT431 crimper as well, plus the RJ11 plugs and BT plugs themselves.

I prefer doing it with Cat5 patch lead plus adapters, IF the cable gets damaged I can replace easily, or reuse it sometime as a network lead if I want. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

You mean something like this?: smile.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15M-CAT5E-EXTERNAL-ADSL-BROADBAND-CABLE-RJ11-RJ11-/350718787791

But I've got a feeling the cable is solid not stranded....

Or there's this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15m-BLACK-RJ11-ADSL-BROADBAND-TWISTED-PAIR-CABLE-LEAD-/260939703595

But I've got a feeling the cable isn't much better than phone extension lead. Hmmm.

To make your own cables you'd need a decent RJ11/RJ45 crimper and ideally a decent BT431 crimper as well, plus the RJ11 plugs and BT plugs themselves.

I prefer doing it with Cat5 patch lead plus adapters, IF the cable gets damaged I can replace easily, or reuse it sometime as a network lead if I want. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I've got a selection of crimpers etc, but you can get a cheap plastic RJ11 crimper (works surprisingly well ) for a few pounds... doesn't help the OP though.

bit hard to give more specific advice without knowing the details but I'd still suspect the BT socket, if not properly protected from the damp is the most likely problem assuming its not his service provider...

Guess the OP is still off the air...

Sorry

I've got a selection of crimpers etc, but you can get a cheap plastic RJ11 crimper (works surprisingly well ) for a few pounds... doesn't help the OP though.

bit hard to give more specific advice without knowing the details but I'd still suspect the BT socket, if not properly protected from the damp is the most likely problem assuming its not his service provider...

Guess the OP is still off the air...

Thanks for all the advice ..... I was out last night so couldn't reply ...... I did retry everything when I got in - unplugged and replugged once more but still no luck so I'm guessing that it is the hardware that is duff somewhere..... I don't think it's the router as that is working internally (i.e. wifi between laptop, network storage and printer is fine .....

I'll pick up a new cable tonight and make sure it's my problem before calling BT out to check the box

Be aware Kev, one of your close neighbours had a similar problem, and called BT out, and they charged her, as it seems the cables on the pontoons are provided by BWML, not BT, so if the fault is found on this cable or the bollard socket, BT will charge for the callout and still not fix it.