Electric heater for unattended use

sassan

Featured Posts

Since we're away for a couple of weeks over Christmas, we've arranged for friends to feed our cat. However, we're worried about the poor chap getting cold without a fire.

As a result we're looking for a heater that can either run at a low level constantly, or on a timer. A timer is easy enough to arrange, but we require something safe for unattended use, ie: very low fire risk (including if stuff falls on it).

I'm thinking that perhaps something oil-filled would be the best choice, since there's no exposed heating element. I'd ideally be looking for something as small and cheap as possible, as it's only getting 2 weeks of use per year. We have a shoreline, over winter, so electricity usage is not critical (although naturally we'd prefer to keep it low).

How would you folks approach this problem? Do you have any recommendations for a suitable heater?

I have two oil filled rads on permanently - they have thermostats on a frost setting so they stop the boat getting too cold during the day or even overnight if I don't get back .... never had any issues with them. One is a De Longhi but can't remember what the other one is

I use an oil filled rad with a timer (and stat on the heater it self) for frost protection mine was only about £25 from argos or somewhere and has a 500w or 1KW setting.

you could also use the 'tube heaters' which are typically about 100w per foot of length. but I think they are quite expensive for what they are, but you can tuck them away or place them close to things you want to proect from frost. I think in your case where you want your moggie to be comfortable - an oil filled rad seems more sensible to me.

Sorry to those who are avid readers.

It is in your own interest to read your insurance policy small print and if the use of unattended heaters is not clear then phone the company for clarification. At least one insurer has said such use is not covered unless the heaters are

CE marked for marine use. Check your policy, don't shoot the messenger, better safe than sorry.

Sorry to those who are avid readers.

It is in your own interest to read your insurance policy small print and if the use of unattended heaters is not clear then phone the company for clarification. At least one insurer has said such use is not covered unless the heaters are

CE marked for marine use. Check your policy, don't shoot the messenger, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a quick check.

Edit: I've checked my policy (craftinsure) and there's no mention of any such condition, I'll shoot them an email.

Edited by sassan

We use a small oil filled rad in the cabin and then a small tube heater in the shower room and a larger tube heater in the engine bay. Keeps the whole boat well above freezing during the depths of winter. Last winter the temperature in the boat didnt drop below 10 degrees!!

Craftinsure have just got back to me and confirmed that I am allowed to use an oil filled heater in this manner. For the benefit of anyone else with craftinsure, I quote my email and their response below. I think I'll be going with this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152318.htm as the only cheaper one argos has lacks a thermostat.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to enquire about whether my policy forbids unattended heater use.
I am planning to leave an oil-filled electric heater, controlled by a thermostat on on my narrowboat while I am away for two weeks over the Christmas period. The purpose of this is to keep my cat warm and to prevent damage to the boat by frost or moisture.
The heater is listed by the manufacturer as being safe for unattended use, one of its features being "frost protection" and does not have an exposed heating element. The heater in question is this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152318.htm
The boat will be moored [EDITED] and as such, toppling of the heater due to waves or changes in water level is extremely unlikely. If required I could remove the casters and bolt it to a large piece of wood for additional stability, but I do not think that this will be necessary.
I see no condition in my policy which would forbid the unattended use of such a heater, but would like to have this confirmed.
Yours sincerely,
Sassan Panahinejad

Dear Sassan

Thank you for your email.

I confirm that the type of radiator proposed is acceptable to our underwriters and you may proceed as indicated in your email below.

Kind regards
Edited by sassan
  • Greenie 1

Agreed.

I now know where to go to get myself an oil-filled radiator... :D

Seriously though, I have cats and if I go away for a few days when it's cold, this is exactly what I leave them with, with one end of the boat partially blocked off to keep the heat down there. I used to leave an electric underblanket on for them on the bed too, but I am led to believe by the forum that this is risky and dangerous.

Since we're away for a couple of weeks over Christmas, we've arranged for friends to feed our cat. However, we're worried about the poor chap getting cold without a fire.

As a result we're looking for a heater that can either run at a low level constantly, or on a timer. A timer is easy enough to arrange, but we require something safe for unattended use, ie: very low fire risk (including if stuff falls on it).

I'm thinking that perhaps something oil-filled would be the best choice, since there's no exposed heating element. I'd ideally be looking for something as small and cheap as possible, as it's only getting 2 weeks of use per year. We have a shoreline, over winter, so electricity usage is not critical (although naturally we'd prefer to keep it low).

How would you folks approach this problem? Do you have any recommendations for a suitable heater?

i would pour petrol on the cat and set it alight and then there would be no cat problem and no heater problem.biggrin.png

Sassan

I now know where your boat will be for Christmas and it will be left unattended, except for the guard cat.

Maybe a little editing of your e-mail quote would be a good idea. wink.png

And if owt' goes missing they will know where to look. LOL

Phil

(Good advice Bottle)

Sassan

I now know where your boat will be for Christmas and it will be left unattended, except for the guard cat.

Maybe a little editing of your e-mail quote would be a good idea. wink.png

There's a few hundred boats in the harbour, would take a little time to find mine. There's a pretty secure security gate, watchful neighbours and my doors are well secured, I think it'll be fine.

Also, there's bugger all of value on it except the engine, and good luck getting that out without a crane!

Have edited it though, since it's reasonable advice.

We are using our Webasto on frost setting, following advice from Doug and James on NB Chance. Let's see how it goes. As cover, we have also part winterised by closing the water tank valve, running the water pump, opening all taps and removing shower head. This worked in previous cold snaps so the frost setting is just extra peace of mind. We also have shoreline connected to ensure batteries remain well charged.

Good point about the insurance check Tony.

Craftinsure have just got back to me and confirmed that I am allowed to use an oil filled heater in this manner. For the benefit of anyone else with craftinsure, I quote my email and their response below. I think I'll be going with this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152318.htm as the only cheaper one argos has lacks a thermostat.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Just did the same as you but I'm with Nautical Insurance Services Limited. I included a link to the tech spec of the oil filled rad I want to leave on when at work and there replied was

Thank you for your email of the 13/11/2013, I am pleased to advise that underwriters have noted and agreed your intended use of an oil filled heater on your vessel on your file. I hope that this is of assistance.

Hi everybody. I have purchased two Argos £29.99 heaters as featured above to protect my boat. I am also with Craftinsure. What settings have people set the heater to? Although the heater is marketed as "frost protection" there is no actual "frost protection setting". I am presuming that I put the heater on the lowest setting but where do I put the max / min fader for a temperature of say 5%?

Thanks