WiFi Signal booster

Glynn

Featured Posts

Get a wifi router, stick it in the window and bridge the network so the signal is strong enough from inside the boat on a laptop.

Or get them to stick up a few range extenders.

Edited by oarfish

Thanks,

But I don't understand the "bridge it bit ", what router would you recommend ?.

Sorry to sound thick !.

Get a wifi router, stick it in the window and bridge the network so the signal is strong enough from inside the boat on a laptop.

I've just resolved a similar problem by buying the mobile wifi router from 3 which allows up to 5 devices to connect to Internet. I'm very impressed with the speed and simplicity of this setup and allows me to use my iPad. iPads don't have a USB port so a dongle is useless .

Beware of buying a router that still needs a dongle as this will increase the cost considerably. Mine cost £49 and comes with 5gb, thereafter it's £15.99 per month for the 5gb allowance.

I get an excellent speed and the router can be placed anywhere on board, if you have portholes on your nb instead of windows this may affect the signal strength.

Thanks,

But I don't understand the "bridge it bit ", what router would you recommend ?.

Sorry to sound thick !.

No worries, sorry to sound nerdy. 'Bridging' is where you use a wifi router to extend the range of the network. At a guess you get enough of a signal in the window? You can configure many wifi routers to bridge (check before you buy though) or get a dedicated extender like this. It would probably be better if your marina installed a couple of those.. Your neighbours would probably also benefit if it was stuck in your window though.

This software lets you get geeky over wifi strength.

Edited by oarfish

For long range WiFi reception Ubiquity offer a range of professional equipment. The NanoStation is particularly suitable for use on canal boats where you are not moving around too much.

Device in use on my boat connected to a network half a mile away. - click for tech info and price.

IMG_4002.jpg

Being professional equipment the manufacturer offers little assistance in setting up but I have written a guide.

For more info check out this thread.

Nice, has anyone tried mesh networking that stuff on the canals?

I doubt it. I do have mine hooked to an internal WiFi router for multiple access within my boat including laptops, phones and smart TV.

BTW NanoStation's are being offered as the chimney mounted CPE for wireless broadband distribution in Hull by SureBroadBand. This in order to break the monopoly KCOM have there for private cable based distribution.

I doubt it. I do have mine hooked to an internal WiFi router for multiple access within my boat including laptops, phones and smart TV.

3G bandwidth caps are a killer, I was quite a ..high usage user while on wires so am interested in ways of getting more internets, though my vololink does a good job speed wise. I cruise a lot though, so not sure it would be worth the investment. Unless I knew the passwords for the pub wifi of half of England anyway.

Edited by oarfish

Just give me your password to your system "by'eck' :glare:

For long range WiFi reception Ubiquity offer a range of professional equipment. The NanoStation is particularly suitable for use on canal boats where you are not moving around too much.

Device in use on my boat connected to a network half a mile away. - click for tech info and price.

IMG_4002.jpg

Being professional equipment the manufacturer offers little assistance in setting up but I have written a guide.

For more info check out this thread.

Range extenders work ok IF they can be sited to work reasonably well with the original access point (hotspot). Realistically this may mean having the device something like halfway between hotspot and your boat.

If you can't get a usable connection outside your boat directly to laptop then siting a range extender there probably won't help.

Their mode of operation also tends to reduce available bandwidth.

There's a cheap way :)

Use a USB dongle and extensionl lead. Mount it on the roof with a frying pan as a reflector (like a satellite dish). I kid you not, it really works quite well. I did this for years.

Sorry your right. wasn't thinking properly. Ive got so used to not having broadband at home now, as we tether the iphone5's to the laptops using the 3g signal and using the phones wifi or if we want to charge the phones we go back to the usb connection. We use 3 mobile all you can eat data. So this device would boost that signal. even do bbc iplayer using it

I do want to point out that my range extender works well INSIDE the boat because I have some plug sockets in the kitchen high up. The boat, is ofcourse like a faraday cage in places and it gives me boost so that I have lovely broadband on my mooring. Without it I can't really connect very well to BTWIFI the signal is not strong enough.

I do like to name my WIFI different things though, it's currently called MI6.

Would love the coal but present marina WiFi access is via open (password free) network with browser re-direct login security.

Whilst cruising I usually get hooked up to a BTFON home network as long as I can see a house or two in the distance.

A UK one or that American one you pointed to. I see PC world do them with 13A pin layout.

Would love the coal but present marina WiFi access is via open (password free) network with browser re-direct login security.

Whilst cruising I usually get hooked up to a BTFON home network as long as I can see a house or two in the distance.

You do realise that response/reply was useless? :)

It was almost English (but not quite) to someone who actually knows about the subject.

I've just resolved a similar problem by buying the mobile wifi router from 3 which allows up to 5 devices to connect to Internet. I'm very impressed with the speed and simplicity of this setup and allows me to use my iPad. iPads don't have a USB port so a dongle is useless .

Beware of buying a router that still needs a dongle as this will increase the cost considerably. Mine cost £49 and comes with 5gb, thereafter it's £15.99 per month for the 5gb allowance.

I have just bought a 3G wireless router for £18 inc del.

What I think you have bought is a MiFi.

My 15gb package costs just over £15 per month.

Edited by Justme

I get an excellent speed and the router can be placed anywhere on board, if you have portholes on your nb instead of windows this may affect the signal strength.

I see that the Huaweii E586 Mifi is available with an external aerial socket (E586ES)

Handy in a steel boat..

Hi everyone,

At our marina they have free WiFi ( wireless ) the signal unless your outside the boat is useless, so whats the best way to bring the signal to the boat/boost it ?.

Thanks,

Glynn.

Have a look at this Ebay item 360374128672 I got mine for £26

I'm about 300 metres from the wifi antenna and get a rock solid full strength signal ( 5/5 ) at 150Mbps. I mounted it about 50cms. above the boat roof.

Edited by Flyboy

HiI have had success connecting to surrounding houses - BT Fon wifi using this EBay item 380405290627 connected to one of these 120521362232

But since buying the above kit I must agree that tethering with my iPhones 3G is sometimes easier. !T mobile pay as you go £20 for 6 months web - bargain for general surfing.

Mark

Edited by wirren