Need advice about sink skin fitting

DeanS

Featured Posts

Morning all.

Which skin fitting should I use for a sink. It's a smeg sink I went and fetched from a guy on Liverpool after buying it on ebay.....the sink has 3.5" drain holes......3 sinks......which I'm guessing I'll have to buy a kit for...and then reduce down to meet the skin fitting....

from this list..which skin fitting should I order?

I'm ordering 3/4" ones for the shower,basin, washer outlet...but the sink has my brain in a twist.

Which skin fitting should I use for a sink. It's a smeg sink I went and fetched from a guy on Liverpool after buying it on ebay.....the sink has 3.5" drain holes......3 sinks......which I'm guessing I'll have to buy a kit for...and then reduce down to meet the skin fitting....

I'm ordering 3/4" ones for the shower,basin, washer outlet...but the sink has my brain in a twist.

These are probably designed for waste macerators!

You'll have to be careful that they don't get blocked, but look at waste fittings to see what you can get for them.

It is unusual to have a skin fitting larger than 3/4" on a boat.

I agree that it can be a real challenge matching boat fittings to sinks and basins that are designed for home use.

In the end I gave up trying to find a reducing fitting to connect a wash hand basin to the outlet so I improvised one by means of epoxy putty. Simple and works well.

ETA I agree with Innisfree (next posting) about doing away with bottle traps. Much better to connect direct from sink to skin fitting just with a hose.

P1020784.jpg

Edited by koukouvagia

Morning all.

When our sink bottle trap kept blocking up and also water kept backing up from the washing machine I dedicated the w/m to the 3/4" (IIRCC) skin fitting and following a boater friend's setup fitted a new 1.5" SF for the sink, did away with the bottle trap which left the sink to empty straight through a 1.5" pipe. Works a treat, never blocks and always drains quickly with a nice flow of water out of the skin fitting. So my advice is dedicate a SF to the sink only and the same diameter as the sink outlet.

I'm going to come over all Tom Jones here and point out that my kak tank breather is 1+1/2", and I suspect that's fairly normal. I've got a 3/4" exit for the kitchen sink because that's was was fitted by the shell builder. Whereas that's fine and dandy for the bathroom basin, the kitchen sink doesn't drain nearly as fast as I'd like. So, I'm going to join in with the recommendations to use a 1+1/2" escape for that, too.

The most important thing to remember is to have a smooth bore waste from the sink to the outlet. No tubes overlapping pipe stubs facing in the sink direction. If overlapping make sure they're facing the other way. If you don't muck will continually build up on facing obstructions like overlaps and you'll be forever plunging away with the sink plunger or rodding through blockages.

Morning all.

Sounds like you could do with a 'basket waste', have a look on Ebay for some ideas. If you would prefer to combine skin fittings it's best to have one big one feeding into a section of pipe that serves as a manifold for the others. Also if you miss out the u bends you might get a cold draught through in winter.

A 1.5 or 1.25 BSP skin fitting should be compatible with certain plumbing waste fittings, have a look at the McAlpine plumbing site for ideas. Waste water should travel fine for some distance if the pipes have the correct 'fall' - bearing in mind the slope of the hull could change depending on water tanks etc! :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Really? My chandler sells some bigger skin fittings than that.

I used to have a 3/4" kitcken sink waste pipe and skin fitting but it kept getting blocked with food scraps so I changed it for a inch and a half diameter pipe and fitting. As with any outlet which doesn't have a seacock, as long as it's the standard 10" above the waterline that's fine.

Edited by blackrose

And what's wrong with that? There's much satisfaction to be had from rodding through a blockage. Or is that just me?

Yes, I do mine about once a year with a little brush on the end of a long springy thing like a curtain tod for net curtains