Anyone mind if I paint my boat like this?

DeanS

Featured Posts

Funky! Do what you want - it's your boat

At the very least it'll be a conversation piece - those who wish to abuse you for it will probably do it behind your back so you'll never know

Totally your call Dean - your boat you paint it as you like IMHO.

I do think though the boat in the picture you posted is painted that particular way because it (Cleverly IMHO) reflects the owners interest or occupation which looks to me like it was related to watches or clocks...

this is a bit too much :)

2009+06+19+Europodyssee+leaving+Laval+2rise.jpg

this one is Peter Pans..

Narrow-Boat.jpg

this is very pink

5244844052_69d635d532.jpg

This one belongs to someone...something....:)

4361280685_17b81a3556.jpg

I like that peter pan one but as for the one after it, I have already told the wife we are not having a pink boat

I like to be different, and thought I would paint my boat something like this? Would it go against the grain :)

It's your boat so you can do what you want. It'll be fine as long as you continue to own the boat. If you come to try and sell it though it might make it difficult to sell as, for most people, it means an instant repaint which is extra expense on top of the expense of buying the boat. If you can find someone who wants the boat and happens to have your taste in colour scheme then you'll be OK.

Roger

I like to be different, and thought I would paint my boat something like this? Would it go against the grain :)

Sustrans%20NB.jpg

:D

Hi

I have seen that boat I beleive it belongs to Sustrans ? They are people who actualy beieve a push bike is a useable piece of transport :lol: perhaps thats why the boat is weird............. ;)

Hi

I have seen that boat I beleive it belongs to Sustrans ? They are people who actualy beieve a push bike is a useable piece of transport :lol: perhaps thats why the boat is weird............. ;)

Knocks my watch/clock-maker theory on the head on the head then - I can see the connection with bikes now though...

Hi

I see you didn't bother with your Oxford English dictionary for this post then :lol:

Not exactly, anyway.

The boat belongs to one of the founder members of Sustrans.

If Sustrans were themselves to buy a narrow boat, I suspect they would attract some criticism for how they were using their funds, but presumably a private individual can paint their boat how they choose.

Mind you it is apparently acceptable for BW to spend money developing a radio controlled shark, so maybe Sustrans buying a boat would be no worse!

Edited by alan_fincher

You would more likely be going against the grain with 2 ropes on the tiller pin and an excessive use of side fenders. Most people wouldn't blink an eye at the paint job, as it doesn't appear to be too shiny :lol:

However, in your case I reckon wooden spoons painted down the cabin sides would be most appropriate ;)

Edited by PhilR

This time last year there was a similar thread, and I had a play around with some ideas based on works of art. I don't think it's so much what you do as how well it's done and whether 'it works'. And that is often down to taste. It's also whether you choose to stay within the general style/tradition - perhaps with a nice twist...or go for the completely radical approach. In that case the general rule is the wackier the concept, the better it has to be executed.

gallery_9719_526_26389.jpg

ENGINE! Traditional boats are horse drawn :)

I was going to have a full size image of SWMBO's backside painted on the rear doors, but it wouldn't fit.

(before I get told off, this is a joke that we like to share)

Edited by Guest

If Sustrans were themselves to buy a narrow boat, I suspect they would attract some criticism for how they were using their funds,

Oh I don't know. It might signal a realisation that while canals make excellent boating routes, they are far less suitable as cycle routes. Instead of having them racing along freshly, and inappropriately, tarmaced towpaths Sustrans could transport bicycles by boat between the points where the cycle routes meet the canals.

Dean, if you like to be different why do you want to paint your boat like another one? ;)

Oh I don't know. It might signal a realisation that while canals make excellent boating routes, they are far less suitable as cycle routes. Instead of having them racing along freshly, and inappropriately, tarmaced towpaths Sustrans could transport bicycles by boat between the points where the cycle routes meet the canals.

Dean, if you like to be different why do you want to paint your boat like another one? ;)

:cheers:

Hear hear, cycling is for ROADS.............

Each to their own init.

As long as you don't mind incurring the disdain of the so-called "traditionalists" (i.e. those who think that a narrow boat with a full length superstructure is traditional just because it has a vintage engine. :wacko: )

I would never paint any Narrowboat owned by myself in anything other than Traditional decoration, with Barlows Lettering, Roses and Castles. But being what you refer to as a "traditionalist" does not mean that I view unconventional paint jobs with disdain.

I actually like the blue decoration with cogs etc. I wouldn't want my boat to be decorated in that way, but I am quite happy for someone else to choose that style.

Edited by David Schweizer

I like to see boats that have been painted in an original way, and as others have said, it is the owners call. My only concern however would be the effect on the resale value of the boat? Of course it could be repainted, but at quite a cost.

Guest wanted

Just be carefull. I had the South African flag painted on the side of "Gemma Joy" and this seemed an excuse for every South African walking down the towpath to knock and say hello. I have now had a repaint and am completely anonymous.

Do you still have the name painted down the side (saw you in Brentford a while back) we can still find you! :P

I like the idea of having £20 notes painted all over a boat, all that money could then been seen slowly disappearing down the cut!