Keb

pete.i

Featured Posts

Hi all

We have just been to look at a boat called Keb. When I asked the owner what the origin of the name was he told me that a Keb was scoop shaped fork that old boatmen used to use to scoop up coal, that had fallen from coal barges, from the canal bottom. He said that coal that had fallen from barges was considered to be, UUMM salvage for the want, on my part, for a better word, and was fair game for anyone that could retrieve it.

Now I have googled the word and apart from some fairly dubious things and a blues singer called Keb Mo I can find no reference to the word Keb

Anyone throw any light on this for me please.

Pete

Hi all

We have just been to look at a boat called Keb. When I asked the owner what the origin of the name was he told me that a Keb was scoop shaped fork that old boatmen used to use to scoop up coal, that had fallen from coal barges, from the canal bottom. He said that coal that had fallen from barges was considered to be, UUMM salvage for the want, on my part, for a better word, and was fair game for anyone that could retrieve it.

Now I have googled the word and apart from some fairly dubious things and a blues singer called Keb Mo I can find no reference to the word Keb

Pete

I have always heard the word keb used for the very long handled fork with the tines bent to 90 degs (like a rake but with longer tines) that a lockie uses to hook out debris and vegetation from around lock gates, paddles etc.

Roger

I have always heard the word keb used for the very long handled fork with the tines bent to 90 degs (like a rake but with longer tines) that a lockie uses to hook out debris and vegetation from around lock gates, paddles etc.

Roger

That's right. I'll take a snap of mine, when it's daylight.

........................................................ I can find no reference to the word Keb

From a WRG handbook:-

58. A Manure Drag or Drag Rake or Keb was originally invented to pull manure off an open backed cart

and spread it over a field. It readily adapts to restoration duties pulling vegetation/rubbish out the cut, and

is ideal when retrieving objects dropped into the cut/locks etc.

CLICKY (page 11 - includes drawing)

Thank you chaps.

I wasn't sure whether he pulling the wool or not. You know, me being new to boating and all that. Like the old hand carpenter guy sending his apprentice to get a left handed hammer, that type of thing. BUT I obviously maligned him, not that I said as much I want to buy his boat LOL. I, to be honest, thought it was short for Kevin's boat as in Ke for Kevin and B for Boat. the owner is called Kevin.

Ah well you live and learn.

Cheers all.

Edited by pete.i

Roger

I also think that's what one is. Used to hang on racks outside lock-keepers cottages, particularly on our summit pound where they were used to rake up all the debris that otherwise block gates and paddles.

There is a forum member who's former small boat was I believe called "Keb". Doesn't sound that common as a boat name, so I'm wondering if it's the one.

Is it quite short, say 30 feet or not a lot more ?

I am surprised you are right Alan. :lol:

Ther are only two Keb listed on Jim Shead's site and one of those is a bit short and narrow.

KEB Built by HANCOCK & LANE - Length 9.15 metres (30 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.46 metres (1 feet 6 inches ) Metal hull, power of 33BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 76255 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19-May-09.

KEB Built by Heyland Marine in 1988 - Length 2.5 metres (8 feet 2 inches ) - Beam 1.3 metres (4 feet 3 inches ) a Electricity Outboard engine with a power of 1HP. Registered with EA Thames Region number N0620 as a Non Hire Annual. Last registration recorded on 17-May-09.

Assuming that this is the right Keb, it used to moor alongside us in Cowroast Marina (arrgh!) many years ago - a very nice little boat.

I imagine that its previous owner will be along soon to comment further, as soon as the weekly (hourly?) Gardner polishing has been completed....

Chris G

I have also heard "keb" used to mean that long-handled fork.

Keb Mo is also a Kevin: his real name is Kevin Moore.

But why would someone wish to name their boat after a long-handled agricultural implement? Are there boats called Spade, Dibber or Mole Drainer? I do remember a steam locomotive called Shovell, but it was named after a Royal Navy admiral, not after something used to carry the coal in.

Assuming that this is the right Keb, it used to moor alongside us in Cowroast Marina (arrgh!) many years ago - a very nice little boat.

I imagine that its previous owner will be along soon to comment further, as soon as the weekly (hourly?) Gardner polishing has been completed....

Chris G

Will that be to tell us tales of when he still had a boat he could easily go down the more shallow canals with, and where you didn't need to be Tarzan on the tiller!

Gardners and Kelvins are fine, but they do seem to place unnecessary constraints on your ability to boat easily!

Only joking Mike - your current boat is a firm favourite of mine.

Assume this may be the "for sale" boat ?"

With a BMC in a 30 foot boat, I'm guessing it doesn't exactly hang about ? :lol:

I've got a picture of a keb I had out with the magnet, in my gallery of magnet finds:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...si&img=1368

Also known as a 'weed rake' or a 'drag'

A keb is a very useful tool indeed.

I have recovered an unusual flat-tined version, a beautiful hand forged tool which according to a BW friend was more easy to handle and more efficient in use. Its a Grand Junction Canal Co tool. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the flat tined one in my gallery. I'll try to add one sometime.

I like kebs :lol:

/gets anorak/

Hi all

Pete

Hi,

Have only just picked up on this, have been on a grand tour - Buxton to Lands End.

Sounds as if it is the same 'Keb', it was built in 1983 and fitted out to a high standard by the first owner who was a joiner. His wife wanted a three letter canal related word for a name and thus it was called 'Keb' - a long handled weed/coal rake.

Someone later researched the name and came up with various old English related words - mainly to do with barren sheep.

'Keb' was a beautifully proportioned boat which went well, I bought it in 1988 and it had a dreadful reliability record, mainly due to the poor gearbox, this broke down in a 'big' way several times and in 1989 I fitted it with a Hurth box, new propeller and heat exchanger, new hot water tank and calorifier. This Hurth box did about 1600 hours beforte it played up and was renewed.

We used the boat a lot and looked after it carefully - I would still have it had not a 48 foot boat with a Gardner come up for sale in 2005. It sold to the first person who came to see it and moved up to Ripon ( we were pleased with that as we did not want to see it locally).

My wife really loved the boat and has never really taken to it's replacement or forgiven me for selling it.

I will research brokerage sales to see if I can track it down and get back in the wife's good books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

If you want any further info send me a PM.

Leo.

Will that be to tell us tales of when he still had a boat he could easily go down the more shallow canals with, and where you didn't need to be Tarzan on the tiller!

Gardners and Kelvins are fine, but they do seem to place unnecessary constraints on your ability to boat easily!

Only joking Mike - your current boat is a firm favourite of mine.

Assume this may be the "for sale" boat ?"

With a BMC in a 30 foot boat, I'm guessing it doesn't exactly hang about ? :lol:

Hi Alan

Your observations are correct!!, it did go well with the 1.5 correctly set up.

Hope you are recovering well.

Leo

snipped:

My wife really loved the boat and has never really taken to it's replacement or forgiven me for selling it.

Leo.

That sounds like the Albion Mills that was/is a regular attender at the Vintage Marine Engine Club rallies perhaps?

Roger

Hi all

Yep I think most of you have got it right. It is that Keb from Cow Roast marina and providing the survey goes okay I will be buying it the week after next. The present owner's sister actually told us that very story about your wife Leo.

I'm afraid the paintwork is looking a little tired now as is the inside. It's all cosmetic though and whilst initially I'm going to concentrate on the inside I will bring the outside up to scratch in the next few months. I am mooring it at The Selby Boatyard as that is where I am based. I have to say that both my wife and I knew it was the one we wanted as soon as we saw the pictures.

We went out on her yesterday and apart from the rather tired paintwork and the tired looking inside it was fantastic. We were actually looking for a bigger boat, up to 40 foot and in fact the present owners sister has a 40 footer for sale. But the missus and I want Keb and now I know it has a history that's even better.

This is our first boat so initially we will not be taking it far but later on when I retire at the end of the year we intend to take her on much longer trips. I was going to change the name especially the bit about Cow Roast Lock (who on earth thought that up LOL) but now I know it has history I wont change a thing but I will make it look good.

Here's hoping the survey goes well on Tuesday week.

Cheers

Pete

I have some pictures if you are interested Leo although in it's present state I dont think your wife will be too pleased. Dont worry I will bring it back up to scratch but I have to aquire it first.

Edited by pete.i

Hi all

Yep I think most of you have got it right. It is that Keb from Cow Roast marina and providing the survey goes okay I will be buying it the week after next. The present owner's sister actually told us that very story about your wife Leo.

I'm afraid the paintwork is looking a little tired now as is the inside. It's all cosmetic though and whilst initially I'm going to concentrate on the inside I will bring the outside up to scratch in the next few months. I am mooring it at The Selby Boatyard as that is where I am based. I have to say that both my wife and I knew it was the one we wanted as soon as we saw the pictures.

We went out on her yesterday and apart from the rather tired paintwork and the tired looking inside it was fantastic. We were actually looking for a bigger boat, up to 40 foot and in fact the present owners sister has a 40 footer for sale. But the missus and I want Keb and now I know it has a history that's even better.

This is our first boat so initially we will not be taking it far but later on when I retire at the end of the year we intend to take her on much longer trips. I was going to change the name especially the bit about Cow Roast Lock (who on earth thought that up LOL) but now I know it has history I wont change a thing but I will make it look good.

Here's hoping the survey goes well on Tuesday week.

Cheers

Pete

I have some pictures if you are interested Leo although in it's present state I dont think your wife will be too pleased. Dont worry I will bring it back up to scratch but I have to aquire it first.

Hi

Thanks for the info, the name 'Keb' is unique - I saw it on only one other boat, a canoe on the Thames.

Sorry to hear it is looking a bit tired, it may polish up OK and the interior woodwork was mainly solid pine/Oak.

I would be interested to see your pictures, I gave the vendors comprehensive paperwork on the boat including some pictures of the hull under construction.

It should pass a survey Ok.

I am in touch with the original owner/builder who will be interested with the information and pictures, it was originally based near Sawley ( Derby & District Boat Club), it was sold in 1987/88 to an elderly couple who bought it down to Cowroast but his wife became nervous about it's reliability. It had a Thamesway gearbox which had very small splines on the input shaft, these used to wear badly at tickover until they reached the state where 'drive' was lost. So they put it up for sale. It did this to me twice, hence the re-design of the engine/gearbox.

Cow Roast Lock - when it was re painted circa 2000, we wanted to indicate where it was moored, plain 'Cowroast' suggests the marina, so to be more specific and avoid being taken for 'plebs' we decided upon Cow Roast Lock. Cowroast should be one word, but the signwriter ( a strange chap, aged about 70, who wore shorts and no underpants - it was hot weather - my wife suggested we get a younger painter next time!) saw the road signs on the way to the mooring and took his spacing/spelling of Cow Roast from that.

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Leo.

That sounds like the Albion Mills that was/is a regular attender at the Vintage Marine Engine Club rallies perhaps?

Roger

I think Sid did go to those rallies, he originally had a 'Dorman' in the boat which did not cope well with the Trent where it was used, his wife wanted a Gardner and hence the 2LW was fitted. It is a very happy 'marriage' of boat and engine.

Leo

Here is Keb, about 18 years ago - on the right of old Daedalus.

CowroastBoats.jpg

Chris G

Happy Days Chris, I remember that snowstorm well, I skidded in the car and clonked the marina gates so that they could not shut them that night, months after during idle conversation Peter Topping complained that the frost had damaged his gates one night and they would not shut!!.

No doubt out mooring fees increased to cover repairs.

Mike.