Narrowboat at sea Chris Coburn & "Progress"

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Prompted by the response to my posts in "Going up the Bristol Channel" I have mentioned the responses to Chris Coburn. It was his birthday last week, he turned 70. Despite everything he does, he doesnt do computers! So he has asked me to post the "Progress" voyages summary for him. Both of us are proud to have done these cruises and back then help to raise awareness to issues of the day.

First the boat. Built in 1979/80 by Albert Watson on the Macclesfield, fitted out and ready to go cruising by 1984. Although a conventional narrowboat built in steel she was to CC own special design and has virtually no gunnels allowing maximum dimensions inside. Over the years as situations and events dictated the boat was modified in various ways, mainly in relation to the inner fittings, fuel system and making watertight. The boat is extensivly fitted out and can sleep 8.

As she is today, there is a additional bolt on watertight bow deck and front bulkhead cover available, she has two independant fuel systems, watertight doors and vents, a steerers canopy and is fully equipped with vhf's, flares, Decca navigation, GPS, self inflating liferaft, extra long warps, two anchors folding tender dingy and the list goes on and on.

The first cruises.

In the late 80's after cruising virtally all the accesible inland system CC turned to those navigtions requiring more difficult access. The Wye was cruised a number of times and then the tidal Thames. In the Thames estuary he not only accessed the Medway but circumavigated Sheppey and got into many of the small creeks. It was here that waves caused the front doors to come open and the boat took on some water, afte that incident the additional deck was constructed.

We did some Mersey crossings and went down the Medway in 1987-89, this was to prepare for his attempt to cross the Channel in 1990 to the 50th Dunkirk celebrations. With the deck now available punching waves was no problem, so in 1990 the channel crossing was acheived. The first narrowboat to do it under its own power. Now before anyones says "first"?? there were no narrowboats used in WW2 and only 12 wide narrowboats were taken to France in WW1. (Film of this trip and Wye "Channel Crossing")

In 1995 we planned to go to the Lancaster, the route was home (Goring) to Ellesmere Port, MSC to Eastham, Mersey out to Irish sea and into the Ribble. Stay over Preston then exit out to Glasson, do the Lancaster and then come back. The "come back" was daring, Glasson to Chester non stop in one day! Thats 14 hours at sea and 80 or so miles and up to 12 miles off the coast. We won the Robert Aickman Trophy at Chester that year for that run. (film of this trip "Carry on up the Lune"

In 1996 it was across England. From home via the Thames, Kennet and Avon, Avon to Bristol. Out of Bristol to Avonmouth and head for Bridgewater bay. Do the Parret and return tio Watchet. Watchet to Ilfracombe. Try for Bude (failed). Ilfracombe to Swansea, up the Tawe, setting new head of Navigation! Swansea to Barry. Barry to the Wye. Chepstow to Sharpness then up to Bewdley on the Severn (made outskirts). Then up to The BCN, By tender we did the Bridgewater and Taunton, The Westport canal, By foort we visited the Wilts and Berks, Chard, Pratts wharf on the Staffs Worcs, by car the Bude. (Film of this trip "A Canal Too Far")

In 1997 we planned a Broads based trip. Home Thames, GU to Peterborough, wait here for good weather, then out to Wisbech, Wisbeach to Great Yarmouth (inc drying out in the wash) a 27 hour non stop trip! After this we did every broad and navigation, winding a 70 ft boat where notices say 35ft only!!! Out of Felixstowe to the Orwell, the Gipping in Ipswich, get stuck on the weir!! Out then to Chelmer and Blackwater by way of the sea, after that into HAawich and then return to Thames via tidal creeks whos names I have forgotten.

In 1998 We went to Caernarfon. Home to Braunston,send off at the show, up to the BCN, do the Wyrley and hen to Stoke, Chester, Dee branch (stuck on a sandbank for 12hours) River Dee to Port Penrhyn. From here Menai Strait to Port Dinorwic, from here to Caernarfon. Caernarfon to Menai Strait (Joe Hollinshead steering!) docking at Conway, up the Conway to head of navigation, Conway to Liverpool, then Eastham. Up the Weaver to Anderton, return with IWA convoy following to MSC and up to Salford Quays festival. (Film of this "Cut to Caernarfon"

Had a rest in 1999.

In 2000 it was all about supporting the Lichfield and Hatherton so as part of this fight the boat went to Bruxelles, Home Thames, Channel, Ronquieres inclined plane, Canal du Roubaix visited, Bruxelles and back.

In 2002 the intention was to complete the "big one" London Tower Bridge to Irish sea, out to Isle of Man, Irish coast to Crinan, caledonian to Inverness, then to return East Coast hopping to Humber. This failed at Ellesmere Port, bad weather and winds made the passages to dangerous to attempt. We then went to Huddersfield via the MSC, Irewell, Ashton, Huddersfield narrow, but stopped at Standedge. We visited The Hollinwood branch and the Stockport arm. (film of this "No Progress to Huddersfield)

On all these cruises the boat was covered for 30 days off shore use in the insurance.

No further cruises have been made - yet.

In all these operations, Chris took extreme caution with weather, on the Wash run we got stuck at Peterborough for 6 weeks before a window came, Watchet held us in check for two weeks due to weather. Chris also took local dvice all the time, often better than outdated charts! In all Chris has topped 2000 miles at sea on Progress, myself 1200, Peter Dufficy around the same. Our crew included John Salter with a Dory on occasions where wethought a safety boat was necesarry. We all knew our jobs and what to do if things went srong. We too no "passengers" and only completed what we could do safely.

I would say to anyone contemplating a similar adventure, do not plan the dates precisly allow massive time allowance and expect to get held up. I am happy to answer any questions that I can about these adventures and associated items.

gallery_5000_522_2318.jpg

Hi,

When I lived in Brockweir , I remember you passing whist I was in a Canadian canoe, just above Bigsweir bridge. On reflection it may not have been Progress. It was more like a 40ft boat. I notice the film 'Crossing' says 3 boats to Tintern, so perhaps it was one of the other boats I saw.

I have fancied doing the Wye but Iit can get hairy on spring tides.

Regards, Patrick.

Edited by bargiepat

I see you mention the Progress has a Decca Navigator on board. Unfortunately this system has now been shut down because it has outlived its usefulness so the set is now just ballast! :lol:

Howard

Yes it has, it was still operational in the late 1990's Chris is retaining it as it is part of the original equipment although now just a relic in the boatmans cabin.

All very interesting and extremely crazy, but I do have to wonder why you didn't just get a proper sea-going boat to do this kind of stuff. I'm not meaning to be rude or belittling your adventurous spirit but surely an adapted narrowboat can't be that great?! Though it looks pretty cool.

All very interesting and extremely crazy, but I do have to wonder why you didn't just get a proper sea-going boat to do this kind of stuff. I'm not meaning to be rude or belittling your adventurous spirit but surely an adapted narrowboat can't be that great?! Though it looks pretty cool.

After 2000 miles at sea, dont you think you have missed the point?? A narrowboat is more capable than you think, thats why the embryo GUCCCo in the first instance designied "Royalty" class boats capable of tidal work in the 1930's.

I'm not meaning to be rude or belittling your adventurous spirit but surely an adapted narrowboat can't be that great?! Though it looks pretty cool.

Any boat is just a floating box, adapted for its purpose.

Why do people sail across the Atlantic, when taking a 747 would be quicker, more comfortable and cheaper.

After 2000 miles at sea, dont you think you have missed the point?? A narrowboat is more capable than you think, thats why the embryo GUCCCo in the first instance designied "Royalty" class boats capable of tidal work in the 1930's.

I believe that Royalty class GEORGE whilst under the ownership of Nigel Carter dec'd (and now owned by his son Tim) crossed the Wash without too much trouble to it or its Bolinder.

Ditchdabbler

Any boat is just a floating box, adapted for its purpose.

Why do people sail across the Atlantic, when taking a 747 would be quicker, more comfortable and cheaper.

Because you don't get screaming kids behind you and fat businessmen beside you when you're sailing?

I believe that Royalty class GEORGE whilst under the ownership of Nigel Carter dec'd (and now owned by his son Tim) crossed the Wash without too much trouble to it or its Bolinder.

Ditchdabbler

Tim also took Victoria to the Medway, and I've taken her across the Humber. Very capable boats, but then most narrowboats are even without modifications. Add with some simple mods and larger waters are safe to do also.

http://www.canalholidays.co.uk/oceanprincess.php

Mike

Tim also took Victoria to the Medway, and I've taken her across the Humber. Very capable boats, but then most narrowboats are even without modifications. Add with some simple mods and larger waters are safe to do also.

Mike

Thats ok then. Anybody with a narrowboat is safe to go to sea :lol:

Thats ok then. Anybody with a narrowboat is safe to go to sea :lol:

Basically yes, so long as precautions are taken - usually boat design and choosing suitable weather/conditions - and research into the journey - preferably with a suitable RYA course under the belt. That lot probably covers more planning than most people with a similar boat to yours manage before setting off to open sea.

Mike

Basically yes, so long as precautions are taken - usually boat design and choosing suitable weather/conditions - and research into the journey - preferably with a suitable RYA course under the belt. That lot probably covers more planning than most people with a similar boat to yours manage before setting off to open sea.

Mike

Yes, but most of them set sail on a boat designed for open water and the sea.

Will we be seeing you at Wells this year? :lol:

Tim also took Victoria to the Medway, and I've taken her across the Humber. Very capable boats, . Add with some simple mods and larger waters are safe to do also.

Mike

"but then most narrowboats are even without modifications"

I think not. This is exactly where people can come adrift. Most narrowboats are lightly ballasted and this together with a spot of lumpy water can be nasty. When the Darlingtons crossed the channel they had their flower boxes on the roof, had a wave from a ship or the seacat which they passed had hit them wrong, come down the roof, that lot would have been with the steerer. There are many things to consider, ie well deck, how big are the scuppers? vents in front doors will flood a boat if the well deck fills. Fuel tanks will get stirred up etc etc. Also you need some very long lines aboard for entering harbours and sea locks. Off piste boating is very rewarding and exciting, but you need to prepare and plan with care.

Will I be seeing you in Birmingham with your boat this year? :lol:

Mike

Sadly because of time Wells had to be missed in 1997.

"but then most narrowboats are even without modifications"

I think not. This is exactly where people can come adrift. Most narrowboats are lightly ballasted and this together with a spot of lumpy water can be nasty.

Actually most "normal" narrowboats are actually quite heavily ballasted especially when compared to cruisers which rarely have any ballast at all. There is normally a good couple of ton of paving slabs/bricks/similar in narrowboats just to keep them level and the prop in the water.

It all depends on what you call sea, or open water. The Humber is fairly benign compared to the sea, but at times the Humber can be far worse than a smooth day in the ocean. It's all about conditions, and lets face it Terry Darlington when he crossed the Channel had smaller waves than I've seen on the Trent!

I don't normally count waves from passing vessels as they are usually one offs, but when the waves are the size that Terry found as he went into the French harbour may have caused some serious damage (or even sinking) to a non prepared boat.

I didn't say the boat didn't have to be in a good condition, obviously the common gotcha's for most people is over heating engines, fuel muck from the tank, and not knowing where to go once there is all that choice!

Also, prepering for a big water voyage includes getting suitable ropes amonst a long list of other things. The St Pancras Cruising Club has some great information on such boating for the interested.

Actually most "normal" narrowboats are actually quite heavily ballasted especially when compared to cruisers which rarely have any ballast at all. There is normally a good couple of ton of paving slabs/bricks/similar in narrowboats just to keep them level and the prop in the water.

Cruisers are designed on the whole to ride over the waves, narrowboats will attempt to cut through the waves. If a narrowboat hits a wave wrong it will swamp the front well and if the drainage holes are not adequatley sized and doors not properly sealed will swamp the interior. However much you like to think your narrowboat is a sea farer, lets be realistic it was never designed for the sea nor open water, it was designed to cruise on a canal with little or no flow and no real waves.

You may think your narrowboat rides waves better than a cruiser purely because a cruiser will roll on the waves but this is how sea going cruisers are designed to behave (on the whole). They ride over the waves. They also have properly sealed windows, hatches and cabin doors as well as fully self draining cockpits for any stray waves or splash.

The design category of the craft is usually a give away as to its sea keeping ability.

I think it was an advertising thing :lol:

The design category of the craft is usually a give away as to its sea keeping ability.

Indeed, but it doesn't mean you can't take a narrowboat to sea safely with approapriate preperations - as I've been saying all along.

Mike