Warning over River Trent cyanide

Boatless

Featured Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/8293898.stm

The deadly chemical cyanide and a quantity of raw sewage have leaked into a 30-mile stretch of the River Trent in Staffordshire.

Thousands of fish have died and people are being warned to stay away from the river while the incident is controlled.

The Environment Agency said pollution in the stretch between Stoke-on-Trent and Yoxall made it a health risk.

Farmers, anglers and boaters have been warned that water should not be taken out of the river "for any reason".

Sounds nasty and is moving gradually downstream. It seems that the cyanide leak was else where but forced the sewage works offline (I'm guessing for H&S reasons). There's a dollop of legal coyness in the reports, so the origin of the cyanide is probably known to the EA.

Shall have to keep an eye on this one and how they contain it. A group of us are supposed to be going to Cromwell & Newark next weekend. Dont really fancy trawling through Cyanide to get there. :lol:

If you have a problem at Newark, it will have killed off half of Nottingham en route. :lol: I've done some work on downstream diffusion of point pollution events at uni. Upshot is that unless there's an awful lot of it, it should be pretty dilute (but probably still detectable) by the time it gets that far downstream - other water inputs (like the Derwent, though that's a long way downstream) will also help to dilute it.

Having said that, there have been some nasty incidents in the Rhine and the Songhua river slick in China that reached Russia, but they are a whole different scale of magnitude.

Shall have to keep an eye on this one and how they contain it. A group of us are supposed to be going to Cromwell & Newark next weekend. Dont really fancy trawling through Cyanide to get there. :lol:

Yes, not really recommended if a member of your party chooses a swim as the way of getting away from a "domestic", is it ?

Yes, not really recommended if a member of your party chooses a swim as the way of getting away from a "domestic", is it ?

Actually, where is the best place to head to for a proper dose of the stuff.

(Goes away schemeing and making plans for the life insurance payout)

I know this is a serious issue but, I just had radio Stoke news on at 1pm. "Someone has released Cyanide and it has not therefore been fully treated by the sewage works"-- A spokesperson said. Bet he's got belly ache :lol::lol:

Contamination has now reached Alrewas. It will be in the canalised river section now then.

<h1 class="toc0">Stoppages Results</h1> River Trent » 07 Oct 2009 until further notice Advice: Pollution incident at Yoxall

Associated Regional Office: Non BW Region

We have been made aware of a serious pollution incident on the River Trent, currently moving downstream of Yoxall.

The Environment Agency are advising boaters, anglers and dog walkers to stay away from the area.

The pollution (a mix of cyanide and raw sewage) is expected to reach Burton on Trent this afternoon (Wednesday 7 October).

Once the pollution reaches British Waterways' waters we will issue a further update.

(Enquiries: 08708 506 506)

He could be doing the same, of course!.......

AH, I can see it now!

A tussle of mammoth proportions as Phylis and her other half each attempt to off the other, leading to the climatic scene where Phylis triumphantly heaves him into the water, seconds before a rail gives way, and she too falls.

I am already writing the acceptance speech.

AH, I can see it now!

A tussle of mammoth proportions as Phylis and her other half each attempt to off the other, leading to the climatic scene where Phylis triumphantly heaves him into the water, seconds before a rail gives way, and she too falls.

I am already writing the acceptance speech.

Dont think it would work that one Dave. I would struggle to heave the OH into the water. He is very much stonger and heavier than i am.

Dont think it would work that one Dave. I would struggle to heave the OH into the water. He is very much stonger and heavier than i am.

Well, naturally, you would have devised some devious and underhand plan to dispatch him, to be executed immediately you utter the line "No, Mr Broughton, I expect you to DIE"

Well, naturally, you would have devised some devious and underhand plan to dispatch him, to be executed immediately you utter the line "No, Mr Broughton, I expect you to DIE"

Was thinking more along the lines of accidentally dropping something in the water at say Cromwell (any river with a large weir would suffice though), sending the OH out in the dinghy to retrieve it, leaving the oars on the shore and the outboard having an electrical failure. Terrible accident.

(I should of course mention that the OH and i do get on quite well and would never attempt to injure/kill each other.)

Was thinking more along the lines of accidentally dropping something in the water at say Cromwell (any river with a large weir would suffice though), sending the OH out in the dinghy to retrieve it, leaving the oars on the shore and the outboard having an electrical failure. Terrible accident.

(I should of course mention that the OH and i do get on quite well and would never attempt to injure/kill each other.)

I think the week before the "accident" might be a little late to start building the pretence.

It's similar to what happened at Autherley junction, where the sewage works pumps into the canal. It killed loads of fish, they collected them in 1 ton sacks. Didn't smell too nice either.

Was that about 4 years ago during the heavy rain in September? I ask because we cruised through that just as the tanks overflowed and, more importantly to us, the outflow under the warreline suddenly became a raging cataract that threw us into the offside. I've never travelled broadside so quickly.

OTH The look on the fishermens' faces as they suddenly found themselves knee deep in half digested sewerage was to die for :lol: