Skip to content

new laptop or notebook

Featured Replies

I am getting near PC World and need recomendations of which computer to buy. I need something that will work with the 12v maplins gizmo. Used mainly for internet with a bit of 'word' thrown in. Any suggestions Sue

I am getting near PC World and need recomendations of which computer to buy. I need something that will work with the 12v maplins gizmo. Used mainly for internet with a bit of 'word' thrown in. Any suggestions Sue

 

Get an IBM X61s or X62s or X61/X2. Small, lightweight, massive battery power and the s models come with inbuilt mobile broadband :lol: Its what I will be getting!

Or head for Aldi and pick the cheapest which will work fine for your needs. These come with a 3 year warranty included which you won't get from PC-world. Internal broadband is OK in strong signal areas, but out in the sticks you'll be wanting to get the dongle on the roof or up near a window.

Or head for Aldi and pick the cheapest which will work fine for your needs. These come with a 3 year warranty included which you won't get from PC-world. Internal broadband is OK in strong signal areas, but out in the sticks you'll be wanting to get the dongle on the roof or up near a window.

Can`t beat a dongle on the roof :lol:

Think alot of it depends on if you can deal with the smaller screen on a netbook, they generally have a VGA out but that option would double your power usage when used.

I bought a Notebook a few months ago mainly because it is lighter when traveling, but I do find the small screen a pain and my eyes certainly feel more tired after using it. I have reverted back to my old laptop and will just use my notebook when traveling.

I am getting near PC World and need recomendations of which computer to buy. I need something that will work with the 12v maplins gizmo. Used mainly for internet with a bit of 'word' thrown in. Any suggestions Sue

 

IMHO they're all much of a muchness these days.

 

Take the Maplin gizmo in with you to check one of the plugs fits in the laptop.

 

Also type on the laptop, move the screen back and forth, look at the display catches, lid to get at least some idea of build quality.

 

Make a shortlist then do some googling to get an idea of user experiences for the brand, model, and after sales support.

 

cheers,

Pete.

Whilst I don't lean towards the idea of buying a laptop or computer from Aldi or Lidl, the 3 year warranty is definitely very attractive, as my son's laptop's warranty has cost £7 a month for the last 3 years and been used about 6 times, including a replacement - Much more than the original cost hasbeen claimed for so I would certainly want a 3 year warranty with any laptop. The nature of their portability makes them much more likely to require maintenance work.

 

Nick

  • Author
IMHO they're all much of a muchness these days.

 

Take the Maplin gizmo in with you to check one of the plugs fits in the laptop.

 

Also type on the laptop, move the screen back and forth, look at the display catches, lid to get at least some idea of build quality.

 

Make a shortlist then do some googling to get an idea of user experiences for the brand, model, and after sales support.

 

cheers,

Pete.

Many thanks If I could google I wouldn't need a new laptop :-))

Sue

  • Author
Get an IBM X61s or X62s or X61/X2. Small, lightweight, massive battery power and the s models come with inbuilt mobile broadband :lol: Its what I will be getting!

 

I am sorry I don't understand mobile broadband. I have an Orange contract using my phone as a modem so how does mobile broadband connect to a sim card?

 

Many thanks for the replys I now know I don't want a notebook.

Sue

I am sorry I don't understand mobile broadband. I have an Orange contract using my phone as a modem so how does mobile broadband connect to a sim card?

 

Many thanks for the replys I now know I don't want a notebook.

Sue

 

You may want to know that Orange have a £5 per month offer for existing customers, for which I've just received my dongle. Limited usage, but enough for e-mails and CWDF. Can't report yet on how it works, as I'm at home with no reception. Back to the boat tomorrow, though.

 

What I don't understand is the laptop/notebook/netbook terminology. I thought the first two were synonymous, with 'normal' size screens, and netbooks smaller with 10in screens. Am I right? I've just aquired an Asus Eee, which is the last, but which sounds like a north country exclamation.

 

Mac

If you want to keep using the Maplin power supply, avoid any Dell laptops, they're very picky as to what PSUs they have plugged into them, and non-dell ones are often rejected and the laptop refuses to charge the battery. Of course you could buy a 12vDC PSU from Dell, at a silly cost, but it's less hassle to go for any other brand... :lol:

 

As for terminology, Laptops generally have 14.1" or larger screens, Notebooks are between 12 and 14", sub-notebooks are 10-12", and netbooks are less than 10"... :lol:

 

Big laptops (or desktop replacement portables) are far from being "lap-top", cos they so big and heavy, not to mention the heat they generate has been known to burn people's legs, so, yeah, be careful with those!!! :lol:

Take the Maplin gizmo in with you to check one of the plugs fits in the laptop.

And that it's the same voltage as the lappy (or can be if it's switchable) - they vary a lot.

 

Tony

 

If you want to keep using the Maplin power supply, avoid any Dell laptops...

Unlikely to get one of those at PC World :lol:

  • Author
You may want to know that Orange have a £5 per month offer for existing customers, for which I've just received my dongle. Limited usage, but enough for e-mails and CWDF. Can't report yet on how it works, as I'm at home with no reception. Back to the boat tomorrow, though.

 

What I don't understand is the laptop/notebook/netbook terminology. I thought the first two were synonymous, with 'normal' size screens, and netbooks smaller with 10in screens. Am I right? I've just aquired an Asus Eee, which is the last, but which sounds like a north country exclamation.

 

Mac

That is what I am using but on my phone. Although the orange shops tell you you mustn't use a phone as a modem mine came with lead, software & instructions. Orange tech support are happy to assist with any problems.

Sue

And that it's the same voltage as the lappy (or can be if it's switchable) - they vary a lot.

 

Tony

 

 

Unlikely to get one of those at PC World :lol:

 

PC World do (or did) sell Dell laptops, I got my last one from there (Had to as it was an insurance job & the insurer issued PC World vouchers rather than cash)

 

Tim

PC World do (or did) sell Dell laptops

Sorry, you're absolutely correct. My bad.

 

Tony

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.