Honda battery charger

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

I've been offered one of these , they are 12 /24 volt output only, at 20 amps , they are super reliable, cheap secondhand, and quiet, the voltage is set by the rpm, and there is no control of the charging at all, my question is , is there a charge controller that I could use with this ?

I want to use it to top up my batteries in the winter when my solar panels are dormant.

_86_zpslwc73u7p.jpg

I have one of these (very similar anyway) as a standby. Excellent piece of kit. Great for desulphating batteries as you can squeeze 16 volts out of it.
I have often wondered if a reg off a car alternator would do the job of stabilising the voltage?

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

I made one using a spare honda engine I had and a 100 amp car alternator, works great with its built in regulator.

neil

Interesting. I have considered similar and running off propane. May I ask what HP of engine you used, and does it have stalling problems when under load? Many thanks.

12 hours ago, catweasel said:

Interesting. I have considered similar and running off propane. May I ask what HP of engine you used, and does it have stalling problems when under load? Many thanks.

You will probably do better with a generator and mains charger so you can set some charging voltages. With a simple alternator the current will start to drop not so long after starting where as a charger may be settable to a higher absorption voltage and thus increase the charging current over a simple voltage regulator (unless you also fit an advanced alternator controller as well.)

20 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

_86_zpslwc73u7p.jpg

Is it a coincidence that suitcase generators and "boogie boxes" look similar?  Perhaps it's an international standard for things which are going annoy the neighbours and therefore should only be used miles away from anyone else? :ninja:

32 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

My old battery charging genny/alternator had just a switch I fitted to cut the regulator out completely. Just had to watch the voltage on the batteries and knock it of before they cooked.

Lawnmower engine and AC30 alternator.

That's good, you could get an equalisation charge as well.