Charging & Electric

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No way, it would be trotted  out on every inappropriate occasion and always out of context.

Nooooo of course not - do tell, you know you want to. :D

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes but that's the whole point of asking!!

Shhhh don't say that. :glare:

Just now, rusty69 said:

I wish i knew what was going on! 

Me too...

Just now, rusty69 said:

The answer to life, the universe and everything is....

One AMP. 

(Is this the right thread??)

Just now, rusty69 said:

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Me too...

Don't you two start that cr*p again or you might both get your heads in your hands to play with. 

Toast Rusty Toast. :glare:

To the OP, regardless of how little power you use you will probably end up having to charge every day for a couple of hours unless its really low then you may get away with every other day. How many domestic batteries will you have? The main problem is at the moment you don't have a clue how much you will used every day. How long will the water pump run for and the shower pump. what wattage of lights will you have and how long will they be on for. Charging the laptop each day, 2 or 3 hrs at what current. Will you have a TV of radio?. If you have one domestic battery then your maximum use between charges is about 50Ah

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you have one domestic battery then your maximum use between charges is about 50Ah

In Post #1 he states he has 2x domestic and 1x starter but no 'sizes' mentioned.

One might assume the battery 'norm' of 110Ah, but as an empty 'sailaway' it could just be a couple of Halfords 'small car' batteries.

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In Post #1 he states he has 2x domestic and 1x starter but no 'sizes' mentioned.

One might assume the battery 'norm' of 110Ah, but as an empty 'sailaway' it could just be a couple of Halfords 'small car' batteries.

I thought it was a second hand boat, I will have to go back and read through again.

Edit 

This is his other post, or have we changed boats 

Edited by ditchcrawler

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The longest dark nights of the year - you need lights on 18 hours per day.

You are sat in the 'dark and cold', you need your PC on for a 'few' hours to pass the time.

You put the TV on for a few hours.

eh? Personally I like to sleep for a bit more than 6 hours, and some of the time I'm awake it's also light. I'm currently on shore power and have a TV (though it's not yet installed properly and I haven't yet set up the antenna cabling properly) but I haven't used it at all for several days. It's not compulsory to use as much power as some people seem to think - personally I still use very little despite having cheap electricity on shoreline.

Our last ‘modern’  (ad 2000 ) though on a 1928 boat had,

6 110 amp hr batteries ( domestic)

a 120 amp alternator geared up to a decent speed off a lister triple through an advec.

a tiny solar panel to run the bolim heating pump

it was pre led lights

fridge in summer only

tv maybe an hour a night.

we worked long hours our evening and morning lights usage was circa 4 hrs a day.

laptop and phone charged at work.

in the winter a 8 hr run would give us sufficient power to get from sunday pm to sat am.

starting after 6 days lead to howling and screaming of belts. We had to run 8 hrs to get the amp hour counter back to zero.

our first set of batteries did 4 years.

im convinced cold and the batteries being constantly slowly discharged as well as self discharge is what killed them.

on a sunny day the solar would only raise the volts a bit.

We had no choice in our regime as we were rarely at home before 8pm

i had capacity for at least 2 more batteries but concluded id just kill them too.

8 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought it was a second hand boat, I will have to go back and read through again.

Edit 

This is his other post, or have we changed boats 

In post #9 of this thread he says it is virtually a sailaway hence my inverted commas around 'sailaway' in post #67

In his other post (which you have linked to) he mentions 'work needed doing before he can move it' and some suggestion it may not even have windows or a stove and he is going 'up to help the guy insta'l some interior' 

It does sound like he has bought it - not just thinking about "taking the plunge"

"ive kind of jumped into this head first, but feel it's the right choice for me.

The guy I'm buying off is still fitting windows and I may well go up to Logborrough to help fit interior. But I'll prob just have a basic shell to sail away in".

(Post #12 of the 'Transport thread)

I must admit I assumed his two posts were regarding the same boat, but you may be correct and its an assumption 'too far'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield