Spiders - Getting rid ...

Chris J W

Featured Posts

We sprayed it around the outside, they're not supposed to want to cross over it. I suppose you might have to re-spray if we get lots of rain.

.... and it's made from ........ Conkers.

Maybe I could make my own conker spray....

Anyone got a recipe ?? :)

why would you want to spray your conkers, surely soaking in vinegar and an hour in the oven is enough to give you at least a 3'er maybe even a 5'er if the string holds out

why would you want to spray your conkers, surely soaking in vinegar and an hour in the oven is enough to give you at least a 3'er maybe even a 5'er if the string holds out

I just thought spraying the stuff around the windows

would be less time consuming than getting a 3'er or even a 5'er

and knocking each and every spider for 6??! :)

apart from a spider suspending itself from the ceiling and lowering itself down my top while i was watching a film late at night with the lights out, all our spiders have stayed close to the windows.

there was a couple of spiders last night "getting it on" near to the bathroom window and i couldnt bring myself to spoil their little party.

then there was around 30 more spiders occupying our other window spaces. as soon as i move one, 2 more come along.

then a cricket jumped through the window at me, first i thought it was a spider and I jumped around a bit slapping myself, like you do, then i saw him jumping around on the bed and thought, ya cheeky sod, and he got ferried back outside courtesy of a cup and piece of paper. lively things those crickets.

then we had a shrew, yes a shrew poked his pointy little nose onto our back deck area. the clue was the dog sitting for ages sniffing some overhanging plants wagging his tail and looking excited. i think he ( mr or mrs shrew) shimmied along some plants and thought, i smell food... sniff sniff...

now if only i could train the shrew to run around the window areas eating the spiders. shrews are very cute and i quite like them.

Edited by honey ryder

apart from a spider suspending itself from the ceiling and lowering itself down my top while i was watching a film late at night with the lights out, all our spiders have stayed close to the windows.

<<<<<<<<<<<<SNIP

Any volunteers to remove spider from said top :rolleyes: .

Please form an orderly queue.

I used to have have trouble with spiders untill I found found myself explaining to my children (many moons ago) that they are God's creatures and have the right to live just like us - so I switched to accepting them and trying not to scream when I see hairy legs (with knuckles) trying to get out of the plughole

edited to add a p

Edited by Bazza2

Anyone got any good ideas about how I can get spiders from inside the boat? Don't mind them outside, but would much rather they stay there and not spin webs inside!

Don't know about getting rid of spiders, but I know a good joke...

An Englishman, Scotsman and an Irishman applied for the position of a laboratory assistant.

They all attend an interview. The laboratory manager comes out of his office with three jar and he gives one to each candidate. He informs them that in each jar is a live spider. He asks them to take the jar home informing them that whoever has the most comprehensive observation results will be given the job and a starting salary of £40,000.

The exhausted and weary looking candidates returned the following morning. Suddenly the managers door swings open and he shouts in the English man. "Well, what have you found out about your spider," asked the manager.

"Well it has eight legs, a hairy body and its runs in all different directions." Replied the Englishman.

"Is that all you have to report?" asks the manager.

"Err ... err ... yes" replied the English man. "

"OK, said the manager, "please take a seat outside and send in the Scottish man."

The Scottish was also asked what he had found out about his spider. "Well it has eight legs, a brown body with lots of small hairs, it is only able to crawl three inches up the jar before falling back and the longest it stays still is five minutes."

"Very good," said the manager, "so far you have the job but I do have one more candidate to see, so could you please take a seat outside and send in the Irishman."

The Irishman was also asked what he had found out about his spider. "Watch this said the Irishman, who took the lid on off the jar and placed the spider on the managers desk. he said to the spider COME HERE!, the spider began walking towards him and he said STOP! and the spider stopped. Again the Irishman placed the spider back and said COME HERE! at which point the spider again began walking towards him, he again said STOP! and again the spider stopped."

"That's fantastic," said the manager fantastic, "this is worth a fortune, we will be rich !!!!."

The Irishman then said "eh if you think that's good wait for this." He picked up the spider placed it back and pulled all its legs off and then said to the spider "COME HERE!" the spider didn't move ........ "COME HERE!" Yelled the Irishman, but still the spider didn't move. The Irishman then screamed "COME HERE!!!" but still the spider didn't move.

The Irishman then proudly stood back and said to the manager "What do you think of that then!"

"Think what about what?" said the manager confused as to what he had proved.

"Well" said the Irishman, "it proves that when you pull a spiders legs off ..... they go deaf."

:rolleyes:

Allan

I can recommend Raid 'Cockroach and Crawling Insect Killer' - does a good job on Earwigs too. My enthusiasm for green issues disappears when i comes to multi-legged horrors who want to share my bed...

By multi legged, I take it you mean more than two :rolleyes:

I spent all last summer batting them out of the bow when I used to sit out in the evenings as they came down SAS style on their little web ropes annoying me. Plenty got a swim then!

There were a few inside, but they mainly stuck outside, especailly round the bow front cratch and the navigation light, and along the ropes where it's tied up, so I don't mind them as those annoying little flies that start attacking you around 9pm just before the sun goes down really deserve nothing less than being caught.

We haven't had that many this year inside. One of two tiny ones if that (or they are very well hidden !). The outside is covered in them, but I don't actually mind those as long as they don't want to join me in the bow for drinks.