Phenolic or Marine ply for floor ?

mboat01

Featured Posts

On 30/10/2018 at 07:30, system 4-50 said:

In 7 years my cabin floor has not been subjected to any significant amount of water from any source, am I doing something wrong? :D

Mine's the same after 14 years. Unless you're going to use chipboard I think you're unlikely to have a problem.

How are you going to fix the flooring down? I would fit longitudinal timbers to the steel frames. Theses can be bolted down. Then you can use woodscrews to fix the floor down. Longitudinal timbers allows for ventilation under the floor. Cut your floor panels down to 8 x 2 and then those not under built in furniture will be liftable. 

He''s already got wooden bearers attached to the steel frames. You can see them if you look carefully. Good advice about having liftable floor panels. I'd also consider using stainless screws on the ones you want to be able to lift. Old rusty crosshead screws are a pain to remove. 

There is good timber on the bearers - Ive just painted it with bilge paint !, because, just because. Yes, was going to lay cut 1/2 panels across boat (each will need to be individually measured but generally 600mm wide, around 1890mm long) with cut edges on centre of bearers. That way all edges of ply supported... 

(Still got devil on left shoulder whispering in my ear ... 'What about PAR douglas fir beams ...?' or mebbe 'green oak?')

Yes ... was really good advice w.r.t. stainless screws ... will definitely do ..(and yes it was a P.I.T.A. to remove the rusty cross-head old ones !!!)

55 minutes ago, Sassy Lass said:

Yes ... was really good advice w.r.t. stainless screws ... will definitely do ..(and yes it was a P.I.T.A. to remove the rusty cross-head old ones !!!)

Probably not the cheapest source but I’m aware that Axminster Tools sell SS woodscrews (because that’s where I buy them as they’re local to me). 

13 hours ago, Sassy Lass said:

There is good timber on the bearers - Ive just painted it with bilge paint !, because, just because. Yes, was going to lay cut 1/2 panels across boat (each will need to be individually measured but generally 600mm wide, around 1890mm long) with cut edges on centre of bearers. That way all edges of ply supported... 

(Still got devil on left shoulder whispering in my ear ... 'What about PAR douglas fir beams ...?' or mebbe 'green oak?')

I'm not interested in the floorboards, as I already said, you won't have a problem there unless you use chipboard. But I am interested in how you're calculating how much ballast you're going to put down there and what you're going to put the ballast on? 

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Screwfix sell countersunk stainless screws but they are pozi headed but having used them for years in the garden I have had no problems unscrewing them.

Just took a quick look...

Comparing 4x40 csk:

Axminster, Torx head, £11.70 for 200

Screwfix, Pozi head, £10.90 for 200

Screwfix, Torx head, £19.99 for 200