Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
BrandyMark

How hot is a Webasto Thermo Top C?

Featured Posts

I put this post on yesterday and had one reply but it as disappeared(?) so I will try again! 

I am about to install a Webasto in my engine room room which is lined with tongue and groove. Can someone who has a Webasto tell me if the body of the Webasto gets hot when in use. There is no mention in the installation instructions about locating the heater next to combustibles (unlike stoves for example) so am I correct to assume I can mount it direct onto the t&g?  or do I need some form of heat barrier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is mounted in the engine room but mounted against the skin tank. The metal part of the body defiantly gets hot. Can you not space it out away from the lining. Or put something to protect the lining 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Tonka, that's all I wanted to know. There is not much room where I want to put the Webesto so did not want to mount it out from the side but from your information, I will have to use some kind of heat shield to mount it on. I'm very surprised that there is no information in the Webesto instructions. 

Edited by BrandyMark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is mounted on a piece of hexaboard which is mounted on the inside of the stern. It's in a supidly inaccessible place so I have never felt the need to see how hot it gets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Mine is mounted on a piece of hexaboard which is mounted on the inside of the stern. It's in a supidly inaccessible place so I have never felt the need to see how hot it gets. 

So is mine, I know the exhaust even with lagging gets hot enough to melt a plastic tool box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Webasto 10 was mounted on a piece of Hexaboard in the engine room that was fixed to the  bulk head, it was there of 11yrs with no problems re heat, and yes it did get very hot. The Webasto should come with a mounting bracket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BrandyMark said:

I put this post on yesterday and had one reply but it as disappeared(?) so I will try again! 

I am about to install a Webasto in my engine room room which is lined with tongue and groove. Can someone who has a Webasto tell me if the body of the Webasto gets hot when in use. There is no mention in the installation instructions about locating the heater next to combustibles (unlike stoves for example) so am I correct to assume I can mount it direct onto the t&g?  or do I need some form of heat barrier?

 

A webasto 'what', exactly?

 

Webasto make all sorts of stuff. I can remember when they made sun roofs for cars....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

A webasto 'what', exactly?

 

Webasto make all sorts of stuff. I can remember when they made sun roofs for cars....

Says Thermo Top C in the title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oops!

 

But which Webasto Thermo Top C, exactly??

 

:giggles:

 

The one with the silver aluminium alloy body with black plastic top type...    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

The one with the silver aluminium alloy body with black plastic top type...    

 

Is it a warm air heater? Or a water-filled heater for running radiators?

 

My webasto warm air heater gets warm but not hot...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Is it a warm air heater? Or a water-filled heater for running radiators?

 

My webasto warm air heater gets warm but not hot...

 

It clearly states a ' Webasto Thermo top C' in the title which is a water heater, not a Webasto air top which is a warm air heater..

Its really not that difficult!

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, andyberg said:

It clearly states a ' Webasto Thermo top C' in the title which is a water heater, not a Webasto air top which is a warm air heater..

Its really not that difficult!

 

You missed post 8 obviously...

 

It really isn't that difficult to read the thread before having a pop at someone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

You missed post 8 obviously...

 

It really isn't that difficult to read the thread before having a pop at someone.

 

Again....There is only 1 type of Thermotop C...its a water heating boiler! 

Your post 11 clearly shows you dont know what you're on about...

To quote Tom Jones...'its not unusual!'

 

So again....Its really not that difficult! 🙄

Edited by andyberg
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often have a bit of a chuckle at some of these Webasto threads. The Webasto TTC only runs at a maximum of 72 degrees Centigrade, the ignition point of even pine is 180, we mount them on wood all the time without issues, this low temperature is one of the reasons they don't work well with blower boxes, the new replacement model (Eco 5.0) runs ten degrees hotter to enable them to use hot air blowers too. If you are concerned (which you really needn't be) then use slightly longer screws on the H bracket, another method is to mount the whole setup on an aluminium plate and then mount that to the surface al la Mikuni MX 40. Cut a 75mm dia hole in the cladding where the exhaust skin fitting exits and lag the area well though. Most of this info is in the marine install instructions that come with the kit anyway so have a good read of that.

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks NMEA I knew you would have a definitive answer and posted that fact but appears to have got lost in yesterday's forum blackout. What's the ignition temp for varnish though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tonka said:

What's the ignition temp for varnish though

Way higher than the wood. Circa 230C. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NMEA said:

I often have a bit of a chuckle at some of these Webasto threads. The Webasto TTC only runs at a maximum of 72 degrees Centigrade, the ignition point of even pine is 180, we mount them on wood all the time without issues, this low temperature is one of the reasons they don't work well with blower boxes, the new replacement model (Eco 5.0) runs ten degrees hotter to enable them to use hot air blowers too. If you are concerned (which you really needn't be) then use slightly longer screws on the H bracket, another method is to mount the whole setup on an aluminium plate and then mount that to the surface al la Mikuni MX 40. Cut a 75mm dia hole in the cladding where the exhaust skin fitting exits and lag the area well though. Most of this info is in the marine install instructions that come with the kit anyway so have a good read of that.

 

Thank you NMEA.

I have fabricated a bracket using steel plate which will act has a heat shield and also stepped out the top to make a vertical mounting to bolt the H bracket so, although the heat shield is not needed, I will still use it. I did check the instructions but could find no info on running temp hence my post, the only a warning about the exhaust - interestingly, the instructions refer to vehicle fitting and are not a dedicated marine install instructions - the Webesto was purchased from a marine chandlers at the Crick show so maybe the incorrect instructions were put in the box.

I haven't as yet made a final decision on where to exit the exhaust - my boat is based on a old working boat with the engine room in front of the back cabin, if I go straight out the hull side then I might be at risk of blasting hot exhaust gases on anybody walking the towpath! should I worry about this? another option would be to go through the roof via a new skin fitting but would I end up with a black stain on the roof! maybe connect into the main engine exhaust (3" dia) just before the roof lining - I know this is against the instructions but the Webesto and the main engine would never be run at the same time and with the a large 3" exhaust, there would be no gas flow restriction (I'm assuming the instructions are aimed at owners of modern engines with small exhaust exit).

Your comment on having a chuckle at some of the threads is very understandable, I know people post with good intentions but some of the comments are complete rubbish even on well moderated forum's like this one. I always check and double check if I use any info I read online. The other side of this is of course, is that there are some very knowledgeable people who post, yourself included, who clearly do know their subject and are generous enough to share this information which is very much appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BrandyMark said:

I haven't as yet made a final decision on where to exit the exhaust - my boat is based on a old working boat with the engine room in front of the back cabin, if I go straight out the hull side then I might be at risk of blasting hot exhaust gases on anybody walking the towpath! should I worry about this? another option would be to go through the roof via a new skin fitting but would I end up with a black stain on the roof!

 

Our NB's Webasto goes out of the side through a skin fitting. The exhaust gas is hot if you insist on holding your hand directly in the flow, but very unlikely to do anyone any damage unless they are intent on it. By the time its been diluted in air it's barely warm a few 10s of cm away. No black stains, the exhaust is very clean.

 

Our mainland boat however has a large and ancient Webasto - about 10 kW IIRC. The exhaust gas from that has been known to melt fenders and to char pontoons if we tie up the wrong way round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.