BT batteries

blackrose

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

contrary to what you said above, the fact that a leisure battery might good CCA rating "proves" nothing.

???

i think you’re mixing me up with someone else. I never said that it ‘proved’ anything. I was only querying whether a battery which quoted CCA was a true leisure battery. 

22 hours ago, WotEver said:

???

i think you’re mixing me up with someone else. I never said that it ‘proved’ anything. I was only querying whether a battery which quoted CCA was a true leisure battery. 

I think you're mixing yourself up with someone else! ? See post 19: 

"Thereby proving they are little more than re-badged starter batteries, surely."

22 hours ago, MartynG said:

Lots of 110Ah batteries sold as leisure type have  a good CCA rating.

My starboard engine starts off the domestic bank.

I have a pair of these as my domestics - they seem okay

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/hankook-xv110-x2.html

Does anyone know if those Hancock batteries can be opened to top them up? Battery Megastore just say no, but I know they're not looking at them. They don't actually seem to know much about batteries at all... Its a bit disappointing when the supplier knows less about the subject than you. 

Edited by blackrose

11 minutes ago, blackrose said:

"Thereby proving they are little more than re-badged starter batteries, surely."

Does anyone know if those Hancock batteries can be opened to top them up? Battery Megastore just say no, but I know they're not looking at them. They don't actually seem to know much about batteries at all... Its a bit disappointing when the supplier knows less about the subject than you. 

Battery Megastore told me several times that my Trojan Batteries were with their courier, and promised several times that they would be with me on the day. When I finally got through to the courier after 6pm, they told me "we wont be delivering anything to you tomorrow - because we havent got your batteries". Wasted a whole weekend, got my money back the following week, and bought from Tayna - who delivered at 9.30am the day after I ordered.

Guess who I wont be buying from - ever!

49 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It looks very much as if they can be - see the long oblong section running the full length of the batteries, however how easy it will be to lever the strip up remains to be seen, especially if it has been glued down. Anyway, lead calcium batteries that modern start or leisure batteries almost certainly are likely to have a gassing voltage in excess of 14.7 and a large electrolyte reservoir above the plates so topping up is rarely an issue unless you have  a charging fault or a cell is shorting

53 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think you're mixing yourself up with someone else...

‘Twas intended as a question, not an assertion, hence the ‘surely’ at the end. I missed off the question mark. 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

The idea of the design is they  should not need topping up.

I'm amazed - Over the years I have bought (probably) 20+ batteries from Battery Megastore and they have happily checked if the battery caps can be removed / are refillable.

I ordered the last one just last week & after getting a message to say the delivery was 10 minutes away I went up to the marina gate, it never came, I phoned up to find out what was happening to be told the delivery driver hadn't realised how heavy it was (53kgs) and had dropped it. A replacement was shipped overnight and was with me at 08:30 the following morning, and, I received a £20 refund for the 'inconvenience'.

I have nothing but 'good' to say about them.

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

‘Twas intended as a question, not an assertion, hence the ‘surely’ at the end. I missed off the question mark. 

Ok, well the answer is still "No, it doesn't prove anything." 

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm amazed - Over the years I have bought (probably) 20+ batteries from Battery Megastore and they have happily checked if the battery caps can be removed / are refillable.

I ordered the last one just last week & after getting a message to say the delivery was 10 minutes away I went up to the marina gate, it never came, I phoned up to find out what was happening to be told the delivery driver hadn't realised how heavy it was (53kgs) and had dropped it. A replacement was shipped overnight and was with me at 08:30 the following morning, and, I received a £20 refund for the 'inconvenience'.

I have nothing but 'good' to say about them.

Ok, perhaps I was unlucky and got the idiot on the phone at battery megastore. I'll try again

Edited by blackrose

10 hours ago, MartynG said:

The idea of the design is they  should not need topping up.

Yes I realise that, but sealed batteries should only be charged to a maximum of 14.4v. My charger is set for open lead acid batteries as its charging my domestics and start battery so it puts out 14.8v max. With the voltage drop to the bow it goes down to 14.6v but that's still to high for sealed batteries because it will cause them to gas if my understanding is correct. 

10 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

It looks very much as if they can be - see the long oblong section running the full length of the batteries, however how easy it will be to lever the strip up remains to be seen, especially if it has been glued down. Anyway, lead calcium batteries that modern start or leisure batteries almost certainly are likely to have a gassing voltage in excess of 14.7 and a large electrolyte reservoir above the plates so topping up is rarely an issue unless you have  a charging fault or a cell is shorting

I thought sealed batteries shouldn't be charged above 14.4v? I'll ask battery megastore but judging by my previous call yesterday I'll be surprised if they actually know. 

40 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes I realise that, but sealed batteries should only be charged to a maximum of 14.4v. My charger is set for open lead acid batteries as its charging my domestics and start battery so it puts out 14.8v max. With the voltage drop to the bow it goes down to 14.6v but that's still to high for sealed batteries because it will cause them to gas if my understanding is correct. 

I thought sealed batteries shouldn't be charged above 14.4v? I'll ask battery megastore but judging by my previous call yesterday I'll be surprised if they actually know. 

But they probably are NOT sealed in the sense that gels and AGM batteries are. As far as I know ordinary "sealed" leisures do not use recombination if they gas. They relay on the higher gassing voltage and larger  electrolyte volume ensuring the fail for old age before they need topping up (on a properly working system). They do tend to have a vent each end of the cover and many supply a little plastic adapter and tube to allow venting outside if you need to. I doubt 14.8 will cause  you any problems, especially as a charger will drop to float for much of the time.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

after getting a message to say the delivery was 10 minutes away I went up to the marina gate, it never came, I phoned up to find out what was happening to be told the delivery driver hadn't realised how heavy it was (53kgs) and had dropped it.

If delivery was 10 minutes away, and you were at the gate, where did the driver stop his truck to try lifting the battery and why? I'd say it was never on the truck and never 10 minutes away.

7 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

If delivery was 10 minutes away, and you were at the gate, where did the driver stop his truck to try lifting the battery and why? I'd say it was never on the truck and never 10 minutes away.

No eye deer.

But in the greater scheme of things I wouldn't have done much with it if it had arrived in the evening, and, it turned out £20 cheaper by waiting 12 hours.

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

I think you're mixing yourself up with someone else! ? See

I understand that each battery holds nearly an armful of acid ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But they probably are NOT sealed in the sense that gels and AGM batteries are. As far as I know ordinary "sealed" leisures do not use recombination if they gas. They relay on the higher gassing voltage and larger  electrolyte volume ensuring the fail for old age before they need topping up (on a properly working system). They do tend to have a vent each end of the cover and many supply a little plastic adapter and tube to allow venting outside if you need to. I doubt 14.8 will cause  you any problems, especially as a charger will drop to float for much of the time.

Ok thanks, well that's news to me. I always thought it was max 14.4v for any sealed battery that wasn't designed to be topped up, but you might be right. I didn't have time to call battery megastore but I'll try tomorrow. I need to find the max charge voltage of those particular batteries. 

8 hours ago, cuthound said:

Looks like we are the only Hancock fans on CWDF.

I doubt it

I didn't have time to call battery megastore but I'll try tomorrow.

I doubt they’ll know but we can live in hope. 

As the Hankooks are lead/calcium I suspect they’ll be just fine at 14.8V

44 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Battery Megastore say the maximum recommend charge voltage for those Hankook batteries is 14.4v which is what I thought in the first place. 

So I either need to know I can open them up and top them up or locate some proper open lead/acids. 

I think I would ask for a copy of the technical data that supports that statement. Many modern alternators charge at 14.5 and Beta supplied some that charged at 14.8 but I doubt they were Beta specials. I have a printout form the dealer of the technical data for my Exides and one thing it does not mention is the gassing or maximum charging voltage.I would lay odds Hankook data is similar so Battery Megastore just quote a typical charging voltage rather than the maximum. Looks like you will be going for Trojans then , golf cart batteries should easily cope with bowthruster loads. They will certainly gas at 14.8 volts.

I doubt they'll supply me with a Hankook technical data sheet. I really don't know who you chaps have been talking to but every time I call Battery Megastore it seems like they think they're doing me a big favour just to give me the most basic information. You might be right Tony that they're just giving me generic information because they can't be bothered. First of all today they said 12v ? and then they were saying 13.6 - 13.8v. It was only when pressed they put me on hold again and came back with 14.4v. I certainly wouldn't buy from Battery Megastore and wouldn't recommend them either. Just my (repeated) negative experience of them. 

Edited by blackrose