Handcuff key

MtB

Featured Posts

Just idly reading the info recieved with an old BW licence application form and I see they say "a handcuff key is also required to open some of the locks on British Waterways navigations." No further clues given!

So, does anybody know what a handcuff key is, and which locks I'll be needing one for..?

Cheers, Mike

here's a BW list of where required. and where to get em from. (i believe the list is not complete.)

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/images/H..._tcm6-72927.pdf

and the 2nd picture down on the next link is a "handcuff key"

https://www.waterscape.com/shop

Edited by fuzzyduck

So, does anybody know what a handcuff key is, and which locks I'll be needing one for..?
They're also called anti-vandal keys by some. They look a bit like radiator keys, just with a longer barrel, and are used to turn a square peg in a round hole to allow the lock top be operated normally.

They've been out for years.

My suggestion is 'When you get one, attach a lanyard to it and attach the other end to you, cos you use it at locks and if you drop it, well it maybe a long walk to get another' .

Corkball.

- That what you need, and securely attached.

- Also some locks use the bwb yale key as well.

Daniel

Have you tried a corkball, attached to a handcuff key and a BW key, in a bowl bucket of water? You may well find it sinks! Better on a lanyard round your neck!

Ian

Edited because a bowl isn't deep enough

Edited by Machpoint005

Have you tried a corkball, attached to a handcuff key and a BW key, in a bucket of water? You may well find it sinks!
Depends on the size of the corkball. :) - However i do take you point, although ours does float. As do our full set of boat keys. Just.
The 'Watermate' key AKA sanitary station key...
Its a key, with bwb stamp on it. That makes it a 'bwb key' in my book. :) Daniel

Depends on the size of the corkball, Daniel? Yours must be a 'really pleased to see you' size!
Haha, shes not small...

- I have in the past actaully thought about the possabitly of sticking the thing in a lathe and making a more sensable weight.

- But then i come to one thats a bit rusting that someones done up really hopping mad tight. And leave it on the boat as it is!

Do the latest BWB keys have 'watermate' stamped on them? I bet they don't!

Bought an extra one last year, £3.50, and it s'got "bwb" stamped on it, just like all the others.

Daniel

They're also called anti-vandal keys by some. They look a bit like radiator keys, just with a longer barrel, and are used to turn a square peg in a round hole to allow the lock top be operated normally.

They've been out for years.

Also known as "Leeds and Liverpool Keys", as that was the first waterway to use them AFAIK.

The "handcuff" bit is beacuse the first apparatus that they were used to unlock looked like an onld fashioned handcuff on a length of chain.

Nowadays, they are often used to secure a locking bar across the post of a hydraulic paddle, or a snap bolt into the mechanism of a manual paddle

Have you tried a corkball, attached to a handcuff key and a BW key, in a bowl bucket of water? You may well find it sinks! Better on a lanyard round your neck!

The first suggestion is fine in theory. However I always found the string got in the way of unlocking with the key.

The second suggestion could result in one hanging oneself, or getting a bad back.

I'm happy with the handcuff key in one of Tony's belt holsters, see:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...l=belt+windlass

Also known as "Leeds and Liverpool Keys", as that was the first waterway to use them AFAIK.

The "handcuff" bit is beacuse the first apparatus that they were used to unlock looked like an onld fashioned handcuff on a length of chain.

Nowadays, they are often used to secure a locking bar across the post of a hydraulic paddle, or a snap bolt into the mechanism of a manual paddle

They still have the old fashioned handcuff locks to the west of Wigan, despite the Wigan flight itself having upgraded to the snap release and lock design, as I know to my cost when coming in and out of our mooring in Rufford.

• 1 year later...

Hi, Newbie and ancient thread reviver here.

I've just Googled Anti Vandal Handcuff Key and found myelf here hoping you can be of some help.

I want to make one of these keys for a Christmas present. Yes I know you can buy them, but not of the quality and design I want to make. The thing is I can't find a picture of one that I can scale for measurements, what I need to know is the across the flats measurement and the diameter of the buisness end and the length it's inserted into the lock.

Ta for looking and for any help recieved.

Hi, Newbie and ancient thread reviver here.

I've just Googled Anti Vandal Handcuff Key and found myelf here hoping you can be of some help.

I want to make one of these keys for a Christmas present. Yes I know you can buy them, but not of the quality and design I want to make. The thing is I can't find a picture of one that I can scale for measurements, what I need to know is the across the flats measurement and the diameter of the buisness end and the length it's inserted into the lock.

Ta for looking and for any help recieved.

Are you a Vandal trying to get insider info on said key dimensions so that you can continue your reign of terror on the sleepy canal folk?

Why not buy one yourself and then make your present from its dimensions, probably much easier than trying to work from a photo or writtn down details

They are similar in size to the old carriage keys that used to be used on the railways. Sorry. no pic...you naughty vandal you

They are similar in size to the old carriage keys that used to be used on the railways.

All the ra\ilway carriage ones I have seen are a male square at the end.

An anti-vandal key of course has a female socket....

It has taken me half a lifetime to work this out - clearly Fleetwood Mac (in their Buckingham/Nicks incarnation) were living on a narrowboat during the recording of their seminal album 'Rumours' - the clue is not in the music, work it out!

Ive still got one lying around somewhere, Do they still fit modern carriage doors?

Only if you can find trains still with slam doors, I believe.

They would gain you access on a preserved railway, but if it's a modern electric train with power operated sliding doors, then don't count on it!

I used to have one, (carriage door key), as a replacement door handle for the rear doors of my ex Post Office Telephones Morris Minor van. I thought it a considerable step up on the old dining fork dropped through a hasp and staple that the previous owner had relied on :lol: