LED headlights.

Detling

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

That's my thinking too.

ETA But there was the time on the BCN Challenge a couple of years ago when it was chucking it down with rain (rain, rain? What's that? But I digress.....) and I forgot to turn it off when we stopped for the night.

Oops.

:unsure:

Like the horn mine is only active when the engine is switched on. Turn the key and boat are dead

18 hours ago, Detling said:

I see more and more of these now. Because they are low current many owners fit 2 or more since they still use less amps than their old light. How many owners have stood 100 feet in front of their boat at night in the dark and asked someone to switch them on? Then off. As LED headlights appear to be ice white they totally destroy night vision, the volt dropped old light was yellowish and did not destroy your vision anything like as much. 

The chances are also that the illumination was also lot less before your new LED lights, but in a tunnel you do not need to be able to read a book 100 yards in front of your boat. The poor steerer coming the other way has no idea where your boat is as they are dazzled and have had their night vision destroyed. The new lights are also more akin to flood lights than spot lights meaning there is no escape from the blinding glare.  I am thinking of making my cratch glass mirrored so you can admire the reflection. If you need bright lights for night cruising, please have another one for use in two way tunnels.

I agree having been blinded by these lights, I am going to find a mirror to mount on the roof, give them their own medicine 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Like the horn mine is only active when the engine is switched on. Turn the key and boat are dead

You have an LED horn? Now that is impressive.  ?

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect

23 hours ago, DaveR said:

If I do need to travel at night, although why is beyond me, 

The 'need' to travel at night is exactly the same as the 'need' to travel in the day.

No-one needs to travel in a narrowboat these days. We all do it for pleasure.

• Greenie 1