Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Tom766

Insurance without survey

Featured Posts

Hi all,

 

It's insurance renewal time and my insurer now wants a survey.  Due to the age and value of the boat i'm hoping to avoid the cost of a lift out and survey.  Can anyone please recommend an insurer that doesent require a survey.  The boat is a 1980 springer 30'.  A survey wasnt required last year but the underwriter has changed.

 

Thanks all........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong but don't recall my current insurer asking to see a survey. GJW Direct

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh thanks.  Not sure but I may have tried them, amongst others.  Some will not touch older boats.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom766 said:

Ahh thanks.  Not sure but I may have tried them, amongst others.  Some will not touch older boats.....

At 38 years old not many will offer you fully comp insurance. - many want a survey at 25 years and most by 30 years.

1980's Springers do seem to be viewed as 'problem boats' by many insurers.

 

Do you really need fully comp insurance ?

3rd Party is sufficient for getting a licence and you don't need a survey - and - if your boat is not of a particularly high value you can make a good cost saving going 3rd party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately its third party which is proving difficult.  Shame about Springers reputation, my friend and now myself have entered narrowboating with Springers. They have real character,  and you just dont see that many 'under water'.  Shame...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Unfortunately its third party which is proving difficult.  Shame about Springers reputation, my friend and now myself have entered narrowboating with Springers. They have real character,  and you just dont see that many 'under water'.  Shame...

Try these (guaranteed lowest price)

 

https://www.insure4boats.co.uk/?ref=PPCGI4B38&gclid=Cj0KCQjwx43ZBRCeARIsANzpzb8QHqlubpiIfM1gy1wI7581RrkBc2VarnuIjhW7Ef2-ilPwsGeguwUaAsYTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

 

I put some 'spoof information' in on your behalf and they quoted me £8.72/month - £104.60 per annum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers,

I'm with insure4boats. Went from £104 last year to £140 this year, but insist on a survey (wasnt necessary last year) .  I'll call em and confirm whether they are quoting comp or third party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Unfortunately its third party which is proving difficult.  Shame about Springers reputation, my friend and now myself have entered narrowboating with Springers. They have real character,  and you just dont see that many 'under water'.  Shame...

 

Really??

 

Basic Boat will insure anything third party in my experience. Used them often. They want to know little more than the CRT number and how you will be paying.

 

https://www.basic-boat.com/

 

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much. Just got a quote for £73.  Never used basic-boat before. sorted..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Thanks so much. Just got a quote for £73.  Never used basic-boat before. sorted..........

Just remember if your boat sinks in a lock you MAY get a bill for lifting it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I know,  annoying I cant go down the lines of fully comp.  Fairly safe cruising between March and Ramsey on the Middle level.  Will hopefully sell on to another lucky beginner in future then get us a really nice 'proper' narrowboat.  Love my old Springer though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom766 said:

Yeah I know,  annoying I cant go down the lines of fully comp.  Fairly safe cruising between March and Ramsey on the Middle level.  Will hopefully sell on to another lucky beginner in future then get us a really nice 'proper' narrowboat.  Love my old Springer though...

 

Springers are fine boats not to be ashamed of. OK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree,  they seem like bulletproof old barges, the old Bukh 10hp single will run forever.  I do read a lot of negativity on his site as regards to all boats in general...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom766 said:

I agree,  they seem like bulletproof old barges, the old Bukh 10hp single will run forever.  I do read a lot of negativity on his site as regards to all boats in general...

 

The interesting thing most snobbists overlook, is the fact that the cut and the countryside looks EXACTLY the same from a £100k Norton Canes as from a £5k Springer. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haaaaaa.  Forgot to mention the domestic water heater isnt connected as the flue kit doesent fit together,  i'll take £45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Haaaaaa.  Forgot to mention the domestic water heater isnt connected as the flue kit doesent fit together,  i'll take £45

 

DEAL. 

 

When can I pick her up??

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tom766 said:

Haaaaaa.  Forgot to mention the domestic water heater isnt connected as the flue kit doesent fit together,  i'll take £45

 

No problem to Mike.  He's a BOILERMAN, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Springers are fine boats not to be ashamed of. OK?

In 93 we were on the K and A one cold wet windy night and slowly caught up with a boat crabbing up the canal in front of us. We were the only two boats moving that day, it was in the days we would travel in wind and rain. Joined em and did a couple of locks together before tying up. We were invited round for a beer so got dried etc and went round. It was a springer called " Bedwyn " tiny thing with a squirrel in the middle of the cabin ( not the furry kind ) lovely, comfy, warm characterful boat. We remained friends for years the owners sold it and fitted a new shell but left the waterways over ten years ago now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

No, this is the whole point of TPI.

Are you 100% on that point, removal of wrecks not the same as third party damage. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.