Lh 150 gearbox.Stuck

Featured Posts

This is a cry of help for a stranded fellow boater. His reverse no longer operates. He is trying to take off the gearbox,8 nuts have been taken off and the gearbox it moves about a quarter of an inch then refuses to move any more !!! Is anyone wiser than he is andoing could help him please 

Before he removes the gearbox, tell him to check the gearbox dipstick, I'll bet it shows empty.

He should fill it with the required oil EP 90?

This gearbox is a hydraulic affair, and when it's empty it fails in the forward position to get you home, no neutral nor reverse.

29 minutes ago, Smigger said:

He dropped the oil and refilled with with correct ep 90. But still no reverse lol

So has he checked the adjustment for the ahead clutch and the reverse brake band? Has he checked the gearbox oil pressure (not easy unless you have a  gauge and adaptor).

Tell him not to on any account waggle the gearbox about. If he takes it out it must be taken out cleanly,level, straight back, no waggling, on a hoist sling is best. If its waggled about the boxes oil pump drive gear will almost certainly be busted.

Edited by bizzard

3 hours ago, Smigger said:

This is a cry of help for a stranded fellow boater. His reverse no longer operates. He is trying to take off the gearbox,8 nuts have been taken off and the gearbox it moves about a quarter of an inch then refuses to move any more !!! Is anyone wiser than he is andoing could help him please 

The eight nuts on the adapter (outside of where the air goes in) or the eight nuts on the gearbox (inside of where the air goes in)?

If they are the ones on the adapter, you need to give a good pull, you are disengaging the oil pump drive gear from the input shaft

Two inches is barely enough to pull the gearbox back

Richard

MORE: Is he trying to take the gearbox off like this?:

complete-box.jpg?i=950687243

Or like this:

IMG_0721.JPG

Edited by RLWP

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The first photo of Richards is the safer way of removing the gearbox without breaking the oil pump drive gear, especially when refitting.

It does have the disadvantage of having to get the oil pump drive gear properly engaged when you put it back together

2 minutes ago, Smigger said:

The first photo is the one !!!

Use more violence - the oil pump drive gear is held on by a big, fat O ring that tends to grab after 30-40 years. It will come off, you won't break anything

Richard

10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It does have the disadvantage of having to get the oil pump drive gear properly engaged when you put it back together

Use more violence - the oil pump drive gear is held on by a big, fat O ring that tends to grab after 30-40 years. It will come off, you won't break anything

Richard

Yes. When refitting he needs someone to turn the engine bit by bit to gently engage the wee pump gear with the big one, best on a hoist, straight and level, no waggling. Thats really if he puts the adapter plate on the engine first and then offers the gearbox on.

Edited by bizzard

2 minutes ago, Smigger said:

So I'm helping this morning,lol. So if I draw it off square using small ratchet straps it should come off to be supported by a sling 

Its also makes it easier on a sling. You could lever it off with two levers, one on either side and lever both equally at the same time.

Incidentally, you have got the rear of the engine supported, on a hoist or jack underneath ?

2 hours ago, Smigger said:

So I'm helping this morning,lol. So if I draw it off square using small ratchet straps it should come off to be supported by a sling 

Yes, only I'd use levers