Barras Shire fuel Filter

Featured Posts

Hello and Help 

ive been a naughty boy.

I have neglected the fuel filter on the about engine. Over the last couple of days at higher than normal revs, we are on the Thames, the engine has been giving symptoms of fuel starvation. So, as I haven't changed the filter for yonks, I thought I would see what is going on. Took the bottom plate off by undoing the long bolt from the top. The bottom plate came away with quite abit of sediment. Cleaned it out,put it back together as I don't carry aeplacement filter. I know, I need chastising. I am in Wallingford and no idea if there's a chandlery here or even a motor factors, I will look. He seems I didn't change the element, if indeed I need to.

Anyway, put it all back together and now the engine won't flash up. Can't find a primer lever or similar. Just turns over. The book I have of the engine is more non-marine looking.

Any ideas please?

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Hello and Help 

ive been a naughty boy.

I have neglected the fuel filter on the about engine. Over the last couple of days at higher than normal revs, we are on the Thames, the engine has been giving symptoms of fuel starvation. So, as I haven't changed the filter for yonks, I thought I would see what is going on. Took the bottom plate off by undoing the long bolt from the top. The bottom plate came away with quite abit of sediment. Cleaned it out,put it back together as I don't carry aeplacement filter. I know, I need chastising. I am in Wallingford and no idea if there's a chandlery here or even a motor factors, I will look. He seems I didn't change the element, if indeed I need to.

Anyway, put it all back together and now the engine won't flash up. Can't find a primer lever or similar. Just turns over. The book I have of the engine is more non-marine looking.

Any ideas please?

Normally would be happy to visit & try to sort you out but as I am in the North until Tuesday am unable to.

The base engine manual should be all you need for a fuel problem because the system will be much the same for any application. Hopefully you will have a primary filter or water trap between tank & lift pump plus the engien fuel filter that I think you cleaned.

Thank you Tony. I have found a typed manual that the engine installer supplied when fitting the engine for the previous owner. In that I found that you loosen a 'bleed type' nut and there is a plunger on the filter housing. I did this and bloomin' eck it started. Ran for a little while, I reved it a little and it died. Boo hoo! Definitely fuel starvation. I think. 

Perhaps i didnt prime it enough, there was what seemed pure fuel coming our and it dripped until I tightened the little nut, maybe little fuel but not enough, or that i really need to replace the filter element.

i may be wrong, but if it started the pump will ensure ample diesel in line from there on, unless of course the element is blocked. Scratchyhead time again folks.

Depends where that bleed type nut is. If on the filter you need to find one on the injector pump or find a fuel return pipe on it. Having bled the filter and the injector pump loosed the main injector pipes at the injector end and spin the engine on the starter (30 second bursts). When fuel drips out of the lose unions tighten them and it should start.

If it won't start then lot of white smoke from the exhaust while cranking = plenty of fuel. No or only a few wisps of smoke = no fuel, try bleeding it again.

If you found sediment in the main filter then see if there is another in the fuel line between tank and engine.

A far as I know no motor factors or marine outlets in Wallingford so its probably bus to Reading or if there is a bus to Abingdon then Abingdon Boat services on the Bridge. I don't think that you can get to Sheridan marine at Moulsford by public transport.

What Barrus Shire engine is it? as there could be a second filter after the one you mention which also could be blocked, As the one you mention sounds like the 1st one attached to the actual engine which is the fuel/water separator filter with a removable bowl normally a Delphi 296 type, this would need to be bled, the other filter is near the injectors which has no bleed screw and when replaced needs to be topped up with fuel prior to fitting.

Some engines also use another pre fuel/water separator filter prior to the 1st engine mounted filter normally near the fuel tank, once again a Delphi 296 type with removable bowl.

Edited by PD1964

8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you found sediment in the main filter then see if there is another in the fuel line between tank and engine.

The Barrus 40 has 3 fuel filters. Engineer from RCR who did our service in December changed the first, found it was clean and didn't even look at the others.

38 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

The Barrus 40 has 3 fuel filters. Engineer from RCR who did our service in December changed the first, found it was clean and didn't even look at the others.

We have a barrus shire 45 and there are only 2 that  come as standard, but we fitted a fuel gaurd as well , are you sure you have 3 ?

The Barrus Shire 40/45/50 are basically the same engine with two fuel filters fitted to the engine, a primary and secondary, the first being a fuel/water separator type and the second just a fuel filter.  Most people do fit another one before the first, normally this is Separ/Fuel Guard type or just the Delphi 296 type, when the engine comes from Barrus it only has the two fitted to the engine.

58 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

So he never changed any of the two fuel filters on the engine only the fuel/water separator filter off the fuel tank. That's why I do my own service and wouldn't let RCR near my boat. 

Same here I have the two filters on my barrus shire 50 and fitted a fuel guard straight out of the tank and before the electric fuel pump ask me why? Since then I have cleaned the fuel guard every six months, changed the 296 yearly, and barrus shire one every other year, filters are cheap pumps and injectors arnt

7 hours ago, PD1964 said:

The Barrus Shire 40/45/50 are basically the same engine with two fuel filters fitted to the engine, a primary and secondary, the first being a fuel/water separator type and the second just a fuel filter.  Most people do fit another one before the first, normally this is Separ/Fuel Guard type or just the Delphi 296 type, when the engine comes from Barrus it only has the two fitted to the engine.

That'll be it then.

I should amend my post to say our boat has three fuel filters :)

7 hours ago, PD1964 said:

So he never changed any of the two fuel filters on the engine only the fuel/water separator filter off the fuel tank. That's why I do my own service and wouldn't let RCR near my boat. 

And you just knew how to do your first service? Or maybe you had prior experience. 

I had no idea where anything was so it was very useful to watch. I will feel able to do my own servicing in future.

3 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

That'll be it then.

I should amend my post to say our boat has three fuel filters :)

And you just knew how to do your first service? Or maybe you had prior experience.

I had no idea where anything was so it was very useful to watch. I will feel able to do my own servicing in future.

But you won't, as if you say he only did the first filter and non on the engine, this is the easy one as it's just a case of replacing, opening up the bleed nut and it's gravity filled from the fuel tank. The other ones on the engine are not gravity fed, the first needs to be primed using the fuel lift pump and the other filled with fuel prior to fitting. You may be ok replacing one filter but as you say you have three.