Mystery device

Featured Posts

I found this (part) device tied to the exhaust pipe of my Barrus 2000. It's connected to the batteries and looks as if it was headed off towards the engine. Has anyone any ideas, please?

Gizmo coilside.JPG

Gizmo otherside.JPG

Gizmo side.JPG

Starter Solenoid or split charge relay?  

Actually looks too too small for those, probably a relay for something (maybe ignition, etc), can you trace the cables back?  Does it click when you turn the ignition on or hit the stop button?

Edited by Robbo

23 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I fink its a relay. Without its cover.

Definitely but it should not be strapped to a hot exhaust - even if it is lagged. If it was not a Barrus I would have suggested a glow plug relay but as I do not think teh Shires have glow plugs it can't be that.

Possibilities:

To energise the starter solenoid.

To energise the excitation for a second alternator.

Something a bit unusual.

Unlikely to be a split charge relay for reason given.

Time to trace the wires?

The early Barrus engines had this “slave” relay in the wiring about a foot or more from the multiway plug/socket on the engine. It drives the shutdown solenoid. Make sure that the new one is the same type as there are two physically indentical types with the terminal numbers in different positions.

Edited by Eeyore

Thanks everyone. I'll work on those ideas. (And I won't cut the red or the blue wire, Alan De Enfield!) Why it's strapped to the exhaust is another mystery, but the previous owner did have some very strange practices!

Edited by RogerDis