Naviagtion q

Mac10

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You must be kidding, Shirley!! 

The whole reason TB was set up was because a handful of members here felt themselves too important to comply with the posting guidelines here.

No it was set up because some out of control mods with power complexes decided they didn’t like their views and so permanently banned them with, in most cases, no warning or explanation. One of those people decided to set up TB and the rest is history.

oh and I checked the “MtB is a prick” thread, it was in 2016 so surely you’re not still sulking about it? Started by EmmaB who was an obnoxious loudmouth on here too (not banned though). There were a few who supported the theme of the thread and a few who disagreed with it. Sounds like a fairly normal situation, you can’t expect everyone to like you! Especially when you rarely miss an opportunity to slag of TB whilst (as you freely admit) not actually going there.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol, a friendly thread so you feel it worth commenting on!

Is there or is there not a thread titled "Mike the boilerman is a prick", as a poster here pointed out? 

You're right though, I don't go there. But knowing who are members there, I don't want to.

Oy! I’m a member there and I don’t think I warrant the label you’re giving me! 

Granted, I joined post the thread you refer to Boiley, I don’t think I conduct myself any differently there than I do here. 

There are some taunts and arses there but there are some here too. 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol, a friendly thread so you feel it worth commenting on!

Is there or is there not a thread titled "Mike the boilerman is a prick", as a poster here pointed out? 

You're right though, I don't go there. But knowing who are members there, I don't want to.

On balance when I was a member there newcomers to boating seemed to be made welcome.

The thread about you was not aimed at a newcomer to boating but at somebody who's forum persona apparently had annoyed and irritated several people over the years.

TB gave people the opportunity to speak honestly without fear of being banned, I like you got a lot of stick over there but equally I got the chance to tell a number of people exactly what I thought of their internet personas which i hadn't had the opportunity to do on here because to do so would have resulted in a ban. Plus of course a number of them had been banned from here anyway.

People did the same to me. Which doesnt bother me, i just gave it back. I think there were a number of threads started in my name. You actually got off lightly.

Edited by MJG

Just now, nicknorman said:

... although to be fair, TB isn’t for snowflakes. I just wasn’t expecting MtB to turn out to be a snowflake!

Actually I hold the proprietor of TB in particularly low regard. This is the root reason I won't be going here. 

• Happy 1

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually I hold the proprietor of TB in particularly low regard. This is the root reason I won't be going here. 

Shame as he doesn’t post that much and certainly the style and feel of the forum isn’t down to his personality. But surely you have to give him some kudos for getting of his arse and setting up the forum?

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

But surely you have to give him some kudos for getting of his arse and setting up the forum?

Not really. He posted some thoroughly unpleasant views on a subject I feel strongly about - Rembrance Day. You may well remember.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Spelling!
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not really. He posted some thoroughly unpleasant views on a subject I feel strongly about - Rembrance Day. You may well remember.

Ok, but I don’t entirely agree with the views of Apple, Facebook and others but I make use of their products. 

That either makes me morally corrupt or just pragmatic. 

There are lots of people you would agree with there and a few you wouldn’t. 

There are a few (no names, no pack drill) I wouldn’t cross the road to urinate on if they were burning. But some of them are still on here too so I’m stuffed! 

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So he has some views that you don’t share. Get over it! And don’t try to live in a world where everyone agrees with you, it’s unhealthy.

Just now, nicknorman said:

So he has some views that you don’t share. Get over it! And don’t try to live in a world where everyone agrees with you, it’s unhealthy.

Ah bless!

I don't need to live in a world where everyone agrees with me. Equally I don't need to spend time in a place run by someone whose views I find morally repugnant.

If a need arose however, I'm sure I'd find a way to cope! I just don't see a need.

On 31 May 2018 at 18:13, Tony Brooks said:

Not an excuse but some newcomers seem complete plonks and ignore/reject advice so now and again someone who may be having a bad day bites back, much as I did in the deleted thread under fishing.

It happens, none of use are saints, so even newcomers need to make some allowances, especially when the question has been asked in other words times and times before..

My comments at the beginning of this thread may have been a little severe and if the OP took umbrage I am sorry for upsetting her. However, I was reacting to her initial question, and if she had told us of her plans in more detail, I would have been more than happy to offer what little advice I could have given. I consider that I am a helpful person and  happy to give advice when I can. Reading her post I was under the mistaken impression that she already owned a boat, which we now know is not the case.

Howard

Edited by howardang

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Equally I don't need to spend time in a place run by someone whose views I find morally repugnant.

ISIS jihadis feel similar!

Anyway, it runs itself, he doesn’t really “run” it.

Ok, here goes:

I’m a serial hirer as many on this forum will know.

My ambition (and that of ‘Im Indoors) is that in a year or six once daughter is through Uni and settled we will retire and get a narrow boat for a year or so, covering as much of the system as his arthritis and my brain tumour will allow. 

Will this forum answer my stupid questions and guide us to the best experience or take the piss?

OP.. Looks as though your gone, which is a shame. I can't really see where you were being anything other than hungry for a little advice. Problem is, you came here and found grey men with small dicks, its a problem they try to live with, but can't. They are always the same ones, take note if you come back, or just read through the forum, becomes apparent very quickly, who they are.. ;)

If you need any advice, pm me, if I can help, I will..

11 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Ok, here goes:

My ambition (and that of ‘Im Indoors) is that in a year or six once daughter is through Uni and settled we will retire and get a narrow boat for a year or so, covering as much of the system as his arthritis and my brain tumour will allow. 

Will this forum answer my stupid questions and guide us to the best experience or take the piss?

Most questions are answered in good faith in my experience, as with all things internet there is often silly noises in the background providing percussion. 

3 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

OP.. Looks as though your gone, which is a shame. I can't really see where you were being anything other than hungry for a little advice. Problem is, you came here and found grey men with small dicks, its a problem they try to live with, but can't. They are always the same ones, take note if you come back, or just read through the forum, becomes apparent very quickly, who they are.. ;)

If you need any advice, pm me, if I can help, I will..

Another unnecessarily rude post bringing nothing to the conversation. The OP resorted to insults immediately, not really the best way to obtain knowledge and experience in any form of communication. 

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Ok, here goes:

If you want to cover much of the system then I suggest that you don't get a 60 foot by 12 foot widebeam  ?

We actually sold the house and moved onto the boat whilst daughter was still at uni. With hindsight maybe a bit cruel but whenever she came "home" she just dropped her washing off and went to visit friends, don't think she had a single night in her own bed.

If you have failing health and a desire to go boating then do it now, your daughter will understand.

...............Dave

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

28 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Ok, here goes:

Definitely take the piss. But in amongst the urine will be some good advice and a band of folk willing to help in person should a crisis occur. Oh! perhaps that was Thunderboat!!!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Happy 1