Why not to buy a boat

WotEver

Featured Posts

A couple of lumpy sailors here, offering some of the harsh realities of living on a boat. Most of their points are equally as valid for the inland waterways. They also seem to be a really lovely couple  

Watch it, take it on board, and THEN, without the rose-tinted specs on, go buy your boat. :)

Edited by WotEver
Carnt spel

26 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

I don't know why he is complaining about maintenance with a grp boat.   We spent 2 years looking after this one about 50 years ago and loved every minute.

I don't think he was complaining James. He was pointing out to potential liveaboards that there's a lot of maintenance to do and if they can't do it, don't enjoy it, or can't afford it, they'd quickly find the reality of their boating dream is a nightmare.

I, like you clearly did, find it rewarding! Proper boat that, by the way. :)

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I don't think he was complaining James. He was pointing out to potential liveaboards that there's a lot of maintenance to do and if they can't do it, don't enjoy it, or can't afford it, they'd quickly find the reality of their boating dream is a nightmare

Exactly so :)

14 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I don't think he was complaining James. He was pointing out to potential liveaboards that there's a lot of maintenance to do and if they can't do it, don't enjoy it, or can't afford it, they'd quickly find the reality of their boating dream is a nightmare.

I, like you clearly did, find it rewarding! Proper boat that, by the way. :)

Yes rather an unusual boat, the hull was from a 1920 fishing boat, she was at Dunkirk then anchored in the Thames with a barrage balloon above her, then after the war she was bought by David Hillyard who converted her into a yacht for himself.   We bought her in Malta in 1969 and sold her in Mylor, Cornwall 2 years later where the picture was taken.

19 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Good find! There were moments when it looked as though some of the points might not really apply to narrowboats,  but they all did in reality!

Mods: perhaps this ought to be a "sticky"?

I'm not sure they all did.  I have as much clothes storage as I did before.  I find my boat slightly easier to keep clean than a house.  I still shower daily.  The main similarities were around things breaking and costs.

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

And  still people dont believe us when we tell them its cheaper to live in a house............boring yes but cheaper.

Possibly, but the boat is a lot cheaper to buy. 

18 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I'm not sure they all did.  I have as much clothes storage as I did before.  I find my boat slightly easier to keep clean than a house.  I still shower daily.  The main similarities were around things breaking and costs.

Possibly, but the boat is a lot cheaper to buy. 

Yes I agree today boats are cheaper than houses mostly but the lovely stone terraced cottage I sold in Cornwall for 125K in 2007 sold in 2016 for 120k and is now worth what I sold it for in 2007. Thats about the price of a new narrowboat. I owned it so my main outgoing was council tax at say a grand fifteen hundred squids a year  and all leccy and heating was at mains prices. Maintainance was little and not often. The boat during all that time and now costs considerably more in so many ways ( in dock having blacking and  packing done as I type ) Paint job and batteries last year licence, moorings etc etc etc. This is definately a lifestyle choice for us. Suns out today soon be escaping the dock in a few days :D ready for the snow!! :mellow:

Edited by mrsmelly

31 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I'll grant you I could have added "to some extent" Dave, but that undermines the overall message somewhat, which is undesirable. 

Slightly easier to clean perhaps, depending on the boat and house, but the general point is still valid as most folk don't wake up to find themselves right by a muddy towpath, and some folk do seem to have inordinate wildlife challenges, particularly spiders. I'm surprised to hear that you have as much clothes storage on your boat as you had in an entire house - that's not the norm though, is it. We may have more of it and it may be not so many miles between filling opportunities but, unlike most households in the UK who have never given it a thought,  we do still have to practice water management, particularly hot water.  No, I think there's at least some read across in most of what the couple came up with and it's just a matter of degree.

Clearly there are many differences between yachts and narrowboats (I don't have much bother with my rigging!) but the challenges are really quite similar, and it's helpful when a couple who are obviously still loving the life afloat offer such an insight to others who dream of such a life, because it simply won't work for the majority of them and it can be an costly mistake - in all kinds of ways.

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm surprised to hear that you have as much clothes storage on your boat as you had in an entire house - that's not the norm though, is it.

I think it also depends hugely on how many clothes you have. I have a wardrobe and chest of drawers for myself, plus a large shoe rack. Mrs WotEver has four wardrobes, two chests of drawers and a much larger shoe rack. Do we NEED all those clothes? Possibly not. Do we WANT and WEAR all those clothes? Yes. Would they fit even in a wide beam? No. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I think it also depends hugely on how many clothes you have. I have a wardrobe and chest of drawers for myself, plus a large shoe rack. Mrs WotEver has four wardrobes, two chests of drawers and a much larger shoe rack. Do we NEED all those clothes? Possibly not. Do we WANT and WEAR all those clothes? Yes. Would they fit even in a wide beam? No. 

Absolutely. The couples point is still valid then isn't it - you need to pare down your clothing on a boat...

well, the bloke does anyway! :D

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Absolutely. The couples point is still valid then isn't it - you need to pare down your clothing on a boat...

well, the bloke does anyway! :D

Its all down to personal choice. Personaly I binned the first wife, she was too needy and heaven forbid couldnt have lived on a boat!! The present crew/cleaner is totaly different and although likes to look tidy she doesnt give too hoots about clothes and shoes and loves the boaty life.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

The present crew/cleaner is totaly different and although likes to look tidy she doesnt give too hoots about clothes and shoes and loves the boaty life.

Wow you've got a crew cleaner. I always have to wash myself. 

Back in 2012 Starcoaster wrote out a list of "The Things That Nobody Thinks To Tell You..." about life as a liveaboard and while it's certainly not a don't buy a boat list I think it would be interesting to people thinking about buying a boat but haven't yet. 

Plus it's a wee bit hilarious.