e-Robot app

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Now, I really need a clever person for this one!

I have the e-Robot app installed on my android phones but need some help in programming. For those of you who dont know what e-robot is, it is an app that can monitor the state of the phone, and when it sees an event it can then do a response. An example of this: You can set it up so the phone is looking at the power connection and if the mains charger goes off, e-robot then sends an SMS message to another phone. I use this with a phone left on the boat when we are off for a week, so i can see if the shore power trips. I get a text message to my mobile telling me when the power goes off or when the power goes on.

I am really struggling to get it to send emails. Anyone out there with experience of programming e-robot? I used to do a lot of visual basic  and Microsoft Access programming ten years ago but this language is confusing me an there is little if any info on the web on it. I want to set it up so it sends me an email if it senses the boat has been moved (ie a change in the GPS position).

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Had a play. Works with sms . No joy with emails yet. 

I will wait for a clever person with you

Hi Rusty, that is my experience and I am sure I am doing the email thing right. I wonder if there is something 'else'  you need to enable in the app to get it to email..hence the need for a clever person. It does seem like a good app so it would be nice to work out the programming.

I reckon this one needs a very clever person.

19 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Hi Rusty, that is my experience and I am sure I am doing the email thing right. I wonder if there is something 'else'  you need to enable in the app to get it to email..hence the need for a clever person. It does seem like a good app so it would be nice to work out the programming.

I reckon this one needs a very clever person.

Perhaps the phone needs to be rooted. I used to use Tasker,and that wouldn't allow certain functions unless the phone was.

Wheres Bizzard, he's clever.

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Working at the moment but from the docs it states it can be done so I'll have a look when I get home later if a clever person hasn't come along.

Oh yes please Rob. Please have a look, unless Bizz sorts it first. Let us know what you think.

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Perhaps the phone needs to be rooted. I used to use Tasker,and that wouldn't allow certain functions unless the phone was.

Wheres Bizzard, he's clever.

What's 'rooted'? That's a bit above my pay grade. Stick around, it sounds like Rob will sort us out later. Have you tried e-robot before or was it just the thread that sparked your interest?

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh yes please Rob. Please have a look, unless Bizz sorts it first. Let us know what you think.

What's 'rooted'? That's a bit above my pay grade. Stick around, it sounds like Rob will sort us out later. Have you tried e-robot before or was it just the thread that sparked your interest?

Rooted is when you are fed up the thing don't work, so dig a hole in the garden and bury it amongst the roots.

Typically it allows access to the phones operating system that the manufacturers don't want you to access.Not recommended as it can brick the phone.

Not tried e-robot before, but have used the less intuitive Tasker app.

ETA.Are you trying to send the e-mail through wifi or phones credit?

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

Just now, WotEver said:

A really quick browse through the online documentation suggests that you may need to have Elixir 2 - personal add-on installed. But I may have got that wrong, as I said it was just a really quick scan. 

I have the Elixir-2 installed. (wotever that is )

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

A really quick browse through the online documentation suggests that you may need to have Elixir 2 - personal add-on installed. But I may have got that wrong, as I said it was just a really quick scan. 

Yes, I installed Elixir 2 as well - I think it is needed to do some of the stuff. It really looks like quite a useful app for boaters and should be able to work as a cheap tracker system for if the boat gets nicked.

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

ETA.Are you trying to send the e-mail through wifi or phones credit?

I have been doing via wifi and via the phones 4G but it doesnt make a difference. I've tried it on 2 different phones, one a very cheap £40 from Tescos job and an expensive HTC 1 wotsit.

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

(wotever that is )

wotever is wotever

I have it working. The steps I took were:

Installed just E-Robot

Configured a new event to send an email when phone unlocks

Set Send Email settings to Gmail, entered Gmail email address and password. Ticked use email as username, added email address I wanted to send the email to, the subject and the message. To test I just used the text value for each.

I ended up creating a new Gmail account as I couldn't get it working with my ISP SMTP email settings.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Installed just E-Robot

Set Send Email settings to Gmail, entered Gmail email address and password. Ticked use email as username, added email address I wanted to send the email to, the subject and the message. To test I just used the text value for each.

I ended up creating a new Gmail account as I couldn't get it working with my ISP SMTP email settings.

I got it to work under test, but not when the power is disconnected.

ETA. Now working.I too set up a different account,so not to give my password to an APP

Edited by rusty69

55 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Installed just E-Robot

Rob,

I am struggling.

I have configured the new event. Set it to Gmail. Entered gmail address and password. Ticked use email as user name.....but how do you add the email address to send to?  I press the 'crayon' and it asks me to choose an expression. How are you typing in the email. Its also the same for the subject and message.

What am I doing wrong?

51 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I got it to work under test, but not when the power is disconnected.

ETA. Now working.I too set up a different account,so not to give my password to an APP

Cor, you are cleverer than me!

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Rob,

I am struggling.

I have configured the new event. Set it to Gmail. Entered gmail address and password. Ticked use email as user name.....but how do you add the email address to send to?  I press the 'crayon' and it asks me to choose an expression. How are you typing in the email. Its also the same for the subject and message.

What am I doing wrong?

Enter the e-mail as "text value" under constants tab et voila

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I have added your e-mail address to mine,so you will know whenever I charge my phone:)

All you need now is to mirror your screen using Airdroid and you can read your bluetooth from home too:giggles:

Edited by rusty69

23 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Rob,

I am struggling.

What am I doing wrong?

As Rusty (he must be clever) said, choose text value then you just type what you want.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

As Rusty (he must be clever) said, choose text value then you just type what you want.

Rob, you are officially very clever, not just clever. I knew someone out there would find the way. Yes, it is now working and sending an email. I just couldnt work out how to put the email in. It did take me 5 mins to convince google to allow me to breath ...but got there in the end. I will now have a play with it responding to a gps position. Thanks again for taking the time to help me here. Worth a few greenies.

46 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I have added your e-mail address to mine,so you will know whenever I charge my phone:)

All you need now is to mirror your screen using Airdroid and you can read your bluetooth from home too:giggles:

.....and Rusty, you were having me on all the time. We were waiting for someone clever to come along and you almost knew how to do it all the time.....making you almost clever. It is a pretty nifty app but I only have it on an 'isolated' phone as an app with that power could do almost anything.

If I look into a mirror i can see that I havent got any blue teeth, they are all white (well sort of white). I have now changed my email address so no one can get me any more.

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Now, I really need a clever person for this one!

I have the e-Robot app installed on my android phones but need some help in programming. For those of you who dont know what e-robot is, it is an app that can monitor the state of the phone, and when it sees an event it can then do a response. An example of this: You can set it up so the phone is looking at the power connection and if the mains charger goes off, e-robot then sends an SMS message to another phone. I use this with a phone left on the boat when we are off for a week, so i can see if the shore power trips. I get a text message to my mobile telling me when the power goes off or when the power goes on.

I am really struggling to get it to send emails. Anyone out there with experience of programming e-robot? I used to do a lot of visual basic  and Microsoft Access programming ten years ago but this language is confusing me an there is little if any info on the web on it. I want to set it up so it sends me an email if it senses the boat has been moved (ie a change in the GPS position).

In my understanding you have to first ensure it is tethered to a reciprocating waffle sprocket to enable full functionality.

I just tried it out and with gmail and had a bit of strangeness.

The first email from a lesser used gmail account to my normal one got a warning about 'less secure apps' in the lesser used account with a link where I could turn access on.

Having done that the next email ended up in the spam bin of my usual account so I had to mark it as 'not spam'

The email after that came through fine though it took a few seconds (5-10)

So all in all it may be worth creating a 'throwaway' gmail account for e-robot to log into and send the emails, then be watchful they don't initially end up in a spam bin of any accounts the emails are sent to.

All in all e-Robot is a nice little app though the format of commands can take some getting used to! Also newer versions of Android are making things more restricted (unless rooted, of course)