e-Robot app

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

I'd say go with GiffGaff as they have cheap PAYG SIM cards: https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans

You could probably get by on the £5/mth as only now and again would you be 'pinging' the phone to say send me GPS coordinates, or a photo, or the like. A cheap cheap Android phone is all you need as you don't want a super high-rez camera (or it'll use it your bandwidth in photo(s)) and maybe small enough to hide it somewhere onboard to be like a CCTV.

I've got a locked voodoophone and I've got the sim already....but ta for the input.

31 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I've got a locked voodoophone and I've got the sim already....but ta for the input.

Dunno if it works on voodoo protected phones, but have you tried the Harry Potter spell Alohomora pronounced:

( al-LOH-ho-MOR-ah) 

Must be shouted at the top of your voice whilst balancing a plastic duck on your head and waving an infra red thermometer in a wand like manner

Try it. You might be surprised. If you're not, your neighbours will be. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Just tried setting this up on my older Galaxy s2 and can't get it to work, though seems to work on my newer android phone. Weird

Might be the version of Android on your old phone isn't supported by the app.

2 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Strange. Usually, Google Play will tell you that the app is/isn't compatible with the device.

What was the app you were installing?

It usually comes up with device not compatible. It is the e-robot app.Downloaded ok, but won't send e-mail alert on power disconnect. I wonder if it needs a sim card in it!

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

It usually comes up with device not compatible. It is the e-robot app.Downloaded ok, but won't send e-mail alert on power disconnect. I wonder if it needs a sim card in it!

It should work as the Play page states Android 4.0 and above.

It'll definitely need a SIM for getting the Internet and sending email. Unless you're connected via WiFi?

Just now, rusty69 said:

No screen lock. I expect i've set something up wrong again

Could be. Failing that it might be just out of date (already) as it's not been updated since the start of December 2017.

Just be wary that if someone nicks that phone and it has no lock/pin on it they might gain access to your emails/passwords depending on how the phone and app is setup. 

1 minute ago, ronnietucker said:

Could be. Failing that it might be just out of date (already) as it's not been updated since the start of December 2017.

Just be wary that if someone nicks that phone and it has no lock/pin on it they might gain access to your emails/passwords depending on how the phone and app is setup. 

Yeah.No problem, my usual phone has a pin lock. This is a spare one I'm messing about with

Maybe try Automate from LlamaLab? It's free. Might be easier to use?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.llamalab.automate&hl=en_GB

Just now, rusty69 said:

Yeah.No problem, my usual phone has a pin lock. This is a spare one I'm messing about with

Right, but if it has your Google (or other) account on it, someone could just pick it up and get access to your stuff.

2 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Maybe try Automate from LlamaLab? It's free. Might be easier to use?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.llamalab.automate&hl=en_GB

Right, but if it has your Google (or other) account on it, someone could just pick it up and get access to your stuff.

Its not signed in (perhaps thats the problem), and it never leaves the boat.

Thanks.will look at automate

1 minute ago, ronnietucker said:

I'm assuming you'll need to sign in to your Google/other account for it to send an email.

Failing that the app might ask for your username/password (probably an insecure method).

You enter e-mail address and password when setting up the command (dummy e-mail address for me)

54 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Just tried setting this up on my older Galaxy s2 and can't get it to work, though seems to work on my newer android phone. Weird

Is that the Enterprise class Galaxy S2? The one with the extra phaser cannons? They were a bit flakey when the power conduits were overloaded and their GPS never worked well once out of orbit.

• Haha 1

Just now, rusty69 said:

Mines just gone out of Orbit. I chucked it out the window in frustration

I had a big problem getting one of my phones to send emails from the power on/off function but it was sorted earlier in this thread on two other phones. I wonder if the original phone had a problem with sending emails from e robot. My other 2 are working fine for emails from that command. The bad one was a cheap £30 one from Tescos.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I had a big problem getting one of my phones to send emails from the power on/off function but it was sorted earlier in this thread on two other phones. I wonder if the original phone had a problem with sending emails from e robot. My other 2 are working fine for emails from that command. The bad one was a cheap £30 one from Tescos.

All phones are not equal. I have limited success with the Automate app ronnietucker suggested, but its not as good as e-robot (when it works).