traction battery and boat stability

happyboris

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, happyboris said:

It's a 240 volt 8kw alternator at 1500 rpm it is powered by a bukh dv 24 that produces around 10kw at 1500 rpm it balances 

Out of interest how  will the engine be connected to the alternator and will the same engine be required to deliver prolusion ?

7 minutes ago, happyboris said:

an unclean nuclear type

Ahh my son in law was on one of those modern things. I Did " The tank " in 74 with a view to being on a boat but 3 days on Osiris Diesel sub was enough for me and I stayed skimming for a while. 

As per previous posts, make sure such a large weight is as low down as possible for stability, and preferable midway along the boat length and not at one end for trim purposes.

Another important consideration you should remember is that such batteries must be vented and most importantly well crated and the crate well secured both for & aft and side to side, in case you hit anything. I know this the hard way, from practical experience, I used to look after some battery-electric railway locomotives (270 x 2 volt cells in a crate, total battery weight about 5 1/2 tons!!!) One of these collided with a buffer stop years ago, the monster battery broke free from its mountings in the incident - oh dear, what a mess! Immediate modifications to improve battery security before return to traffic!

The other thing you need, as on the locos, is a good solid generously rated isolator on the battery bank in case of incident - you have a lot of energy stored in a bank as big as that and it's all trying to get out!

Good advice, as an ex submariner i'm quite well versed on battery safety, a battery on nuclear subs weighed 125 tonnes. Trying to imagine a 5 tonne battery on the loose, sounds like the monster from aliens with acid for blood. 

3 minutes ago, happyboris said:

Good advice, as an ex submariner i'm quite well versed on battery safety, a battery on nuclear subs weighed 125 tonnes. Trying to imagine a 5 tonne battery on the loose, sounds like the monster from aliens with acid for blood. 

Why would they need batteries on a Nuclear sub?  Do they just use it as a buffer for peaks?

Edited by Robbo

3 minutes ago, happyboris said:

Just in case, diesel boats of the same era had a battery of 250 tonnes. The battery on nuclear subs can drive an electric motor coupled to the propellor shaft for use in emergency.

Aye just googled answer and it’s for backup if reactor has to shut down for some reason.

On 28/01/2018 at 13:31, happyboris said:

Exactly, steam powered submarines, a modern sub can do in excess of 40 knots day in day out for weeks at a time if so desired. All from 90 kg of uranium.

I hope they have the good manners to slow down a bit when passing moored subs.

submariners don't have good manners submariners eat their dead

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Three days on this one was enough for me. Not the most comfortable nights sleep !! Still way more interesting than University where I nearly ended up!!

th.jpg

one of the old porpoise or oberon class boats never went to sea on one but worked on them as a boy at hms dolphin. They used to stink!

7 minutes ago, happyboris said:

submariners don't have good manners submariners eat their dead

one of the old porpoise or oberon class boats never went to sea on one but worked on them as a boy at hms dolphin. They used to stink!

Yep quite correct. Oberon class. Stunk to high heaven of diesel!! Talk about battery banks!! You I would guess joined after the Tank at Dolphin was decommissioned? I bloomin HATED that and we had to do it bloomin twice!! and then I changed my mind and stayed on a Leander :lol:

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Yep quite correct. Oberon class. Stunk to high heaven of diesel!! Talk about battery banks!! You I would guess joined after the Tank at Dolphin was decommissioned? I bloomin HATED that and we had to do it bloomin twice!! and then I changed my mind and stayed on a Leander :lol:

No I did the tank and went on to be a ships diver I was more dolphin than submariner, i just love the water......

8 minutes ago, happyboris said:

No I did the tank and went on to be a ships diver I was more dolphin than submariner, i just love the water......

:cheers: Ahh a braver man than me. My oppo did all that diving stuff......not for me :o

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I hope they have the good manners to slow down a bit when passing moored subs.

That jogs the memory - going back quite a few years (the IRA were still active) we were cruising up the West coast and decided to detour up one of the Scottish locks (Gare Loch), lovely day, flat calm so opened up the throttles and happily skimming along at 25 knots.

Looked back and there was a small RiB chasing us, its max speed must have been about 26 knots as it took forever to catch up and as it did we drew alongside what looked like the entire UK fleet of submarines, - 5 of them all rafted up together at Faslane

The RiB contained 5 guys in black wet-suits with black balaclava's and sub-machine guns.

I was flagged down and we were boarded - "whose in charge?" - the crew (as one) all pointed towards me and said "him".

Ships papers, Name, address, personal details, 'any thing you say may'.......... - under arrest.

I was arrested for speeding in a restricted area, my argument was :

There was no speed limit or restriction posted in the Almanac or Notice to Sailors

There was no speed limit or restriction posted on the Charts

There was no speed limit or restriction posted on the entry to the Loch

Was told I could proceed (slowly) and that I would hear from the Ministry of Defence Police - never did.

I reckon they were just pleased to see me and to use me a training for a potential attack by the IRA

Y

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That jogs the memory - going back quite a few years (the IRA were still active) we were cruising up the West coast and decided to detour up one of the Scottish locks (Gare Loch), lovely day, flat calm so opened up the throttles and happily skimming along at 25 knots.

Looked back and there was a small RiB chasing us, its max speed must have been about 26 knots as it took forever to catch up and as it did we drew alongside what looked like the entire UK fleet of submarines, - 5 of them all rafted up together at Faslane

The RiB contained 5 guys in black wet-suits with black balaclava's and sub-machine guns.

I was flagged down and we were boarded - "whose in charge?" - the crew (as one) all pointed towards me and said "him".

Ships papers, Name, address, personal details, 'any thing you say may'.......... - under arrest.

I was arrested for speeding in a restricted area, my argument was :

There was no speed limit or restriction posted in the Almanac or Notice to Sailors

There was no speed limit or restriction posted on the Charts

There was no speed limit or restriction posted on the entry to the Loch

Was told I could proceed (slowly) and that I would hear from the Ministry of Defence Police - never did.

I reckon they were just pleased to see me and to use me a training for a potential attack by the IRA

You were lucky they were only marines with machine guns, it could so easily have been submariners with tins of mcewans then you would have had serious trouble.

• Greenie 2