Morso stove riddle plate removal

Featured Posts

Please help

i need to replace the circular riddle grate in my morso stove, does anyone know how to remove the riddle plate arm that runs through it so I can get the old one out? 

Seems like it should be a simple removal but I can’t work it out

thanks 

You have to rotate the riddle grate towards vertical and the handle, which has a double bend in its end will come out of the hole in the grate (requires a bit  of jiggling) 

If you want your riddle grate to last longer, don't use the handle, use a poker instead. 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

You have to rotate the riddle grate towards vertical and the handle, which has a double bend in its end will come out of the hole in the grate (requires a bit  of jiggling) 

If you want your riddle grate to last longer, don't use the handle, use a poker instead. 

Agreed, I think a little ash left behind forms a protective layer, I only operate the riddle once in the morning. 

If you think it's difficult to disconnect it, refitting will drive you nuts! Perhaps take a picture just before you separate the griddle from it's rod.

16 minutes ago, BWM said:

Agreed, I think a little ash left behind forms a protective layer, I only operate the riddle once in the morning.

Also worthwhile is flattening the mound of ash below the grate every now and then with said poker. I used to get through grates every few years, but now, never wiggle the grriddle, and they last forever.

Edited by rusty69

Thanks for the tips

i actually never used the riddle but a poker as suggested. The riddle actually doesn’t work so I don’t have any way of rotating it. I’m not totally convinced it will even come out of the square grate without much persuasion 

16 minutes ago, Smudge201 said:

Thanks for the tips

i actually never used the riddle but a poker as suggested. The riddle actually doesn’t work so I don’t have any way of rotating it. I’m not totally convinced it will even come out of the square grate without much persuasion 

Try removing the ashpan and pushing up from below, when its cold, being careful not to dislodge the square grate holder.

Edited by rusty69

Changed mine this week, its easy just lift at the left edge near vertical then jiggle the riddler conection out and replace similar method. The last one has lasted four winters. As others say just empty the ash container often as if its full it burns an oil int grate. Oh and I use my riddler four or five times a day plus a poker there is no reason not to use it people who reckon not to use it are on drugs ;)

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Oh and I use my riddler four or five times a day plus a poker there is no reason not to use it people who reckon not to use it are on drugs

Oi, I am not on drugs,and I reckon my last grate was over ten years old, so that's Grrrrrayte.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its lasted ten years cos u r too tight to burn owt on it  :P

Well, I did light it last week when it got down to -10. Grandad told me I could save money if I put a candle in it instead of coal, but I fink it was a wind-up.

Edited by rusty69
  • Happy 1

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I replaced the griddle on mine once. It is definitely possible but takes a great deal of thinking about. 

Its about as challenging as reversing the boat for 100 yards in one go. 

You cant change the griddle if there is a strong crosswind then?

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Well, I did light it last week when it got down to -10. Grandad told me I could save money if I put a candle in it instead of coal, but I fink it was a wind-up.

Should have put an Ecofan on top ...

12 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Are you suggesting that Batman is Duck Footed?

You are without a clue

9 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Hidden in the shrubbery maybe?

Hidden in Palin sight Alfie

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1