Sick Squirrel

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

've had these for years and I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't noticed the Squirrels face different ways mind you I've been married over 30 years and I've only just discovered where we keep the tea towels

When we first got our boat, i was foolish enough to let Mrs Rusty paint some boxes on the cabin sides.

It took me two years to notice each side was different. One side had the bigger box at the back, the other had the bigger box at the front 

Reminds me of when I was a brat and my mum had been nagging my dad for ages to wash the car. 

So he went out and washed it. Took mum about a week to realise he'd only washed one side, the side facing the house when parked on the drive :D

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:16, mrsmelly said:

Iamnoty suprised. Midland swindlers are ridiculously expensive and always have been.

Morso 1410

Lime Kiln £690

Midland Freaky Friday £628

Midland display stove, almost always available £599

8 hours ago, Kraken said:

Morso 1410

Lime Kiln £690

Midland Freaky Friday £628

Midland display stove, almost always available £599

There you go then. Thats at least once in the past 30 years that Midland with their extra discount are cheapest, of course put the 20 percent back on and as usual they are yes......the most expensive

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

There you go then. Thats at least once in the past 30 years that Midland with their extra discount are cheapest, of course put the 20 percent back on and as usual they are yes......the most expensive

You need to know to ask for the price match/discount, then there prices are very competitive (well at leat on Morso squirrels)

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You need to know to ask for the price match/discount, then there prices are very competitive (well at leat on Morso squirrels)

I never ask. I simply always go with whoever quotes what I like. My insurance car company upped my policy last week so I went elsewhere and my previous people then tried to match the price.......tough they should have made that their offer in the first place.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I never ask. I simply always go with whoever quotes what I like. My insurance car company upped my policy last week so I went elsewhere and my previous people then tried to match the price.......tough they should have made that their offer in the first place.

I normally do the same as you,particularily with any kind of insurance.

In this case however, MC was much closer than Limekiln, and although initially more expensive, with a few e-mails, became the same price(indeed a bit cheaper )

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I normally do the same as you,particularily with any kind of insurance.

In this case however, MC was much closer than Limekiln, and although initially more expensive, with a few e-mails, became the same price(indeed a bit cheaper )

Yeah don't blame you but just a few seconds ago I have spent another 72 pounds with limekiln on line for stuff that next Friday would have still cost over a hundred squids with Midland and its nearly always the same. They obviously have a business model that works for them I suppose it could be their locations?

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah don't blame you but just a few seconds ago I have spent another 72 pounds with limekiln on line for stuff that next Friday would have still cost over a hundred squids with Midland and its nearly always the same. They obviously have a business model that works for them I suppose it could be their locations?

Yeah, it is annoying that they can't publish their best price up front. 

If anyone doubts that you get what you pay for - I brought the glazed door from my boatman home as there was a crack in the glass and I could tell I wasn't going to be able to replace it in situ.   Attempting to unscrew the glass retaining tabs was a joke, held on with tiny slot headed screws that had well and truly seized to boot. But they did respond to a tap with the hammer.  So now I have to figure out a way of retaining the new door glass.  Just for the heck of it I went to see if I could easily remove the glass in the door of our 30 year old Squirrel and of course the retaining screws came out no bother.  

As MTB pointed out earlier, given the life span of these things buying a cheap stove really is false economy.       

28 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

If anyone doubts that you get what you pay for - I brought the glazed door from my boatman home as there was a crack in the glass and I could tell I wasn't going to be able to replace it in situ.   Attempting to unscrew the glass retaining tabs was a joke, held on with tiny slot headed screws that had well and truly seized to boot. But they did respond to a tap with the hammer.  So now I have to figure out a way of retsining the new door glass.  Just for the heck of it I went to see if I could easily remove the glass in the door of our 30 year old Squirrel and of course the retaining screws came out no bother.  

As MTB pointed out earlier, given the life span of these things buying a cheap stove really is false economy.       

Bed in in with high temperature silicon? 

Why morso don't sell a squirrel with boiler already fitted is beyond me . I spent the last two hours dismantling ,drilling and fitting the new boiler.A job that would be much easier at the factory. Unless of course they do sell with a boiler already fitted, and I got the wrong one.

You even have to put the legs on the fire too.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Bed in in with high temperature silicon? 

You have a touching faith in the limited properties of supposedly "high temperature" silicone! Have you ever tried using it in something adjacent to 700 degree C combustion, like a stove door?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You have a touching faith in the limited properties of supposedly "high temperature" silicone! Have you ever tried using it in something adjacent to 700 degree C combustion, like a stove door?

59 minutes ago, cuthound said:

No, but I have seen high temperature silicon used as a temporary gasket on a turbocharged diesel engine satisfactorily. According to the pyrometer the  turbo was operating at 1100 °C  for over 24 hours.

All the silicone based products I've seen are only good for up to 300 degrees or so, though I notice Screwfix have a high temperature sealer that has good reviews, that might do it.  I'm going to replace the Boatman anyway so it's really only a temporary fix in fact I wouldn't have bothered but I guess a cracked stove glass is a BSS fail and mine is due in a couple on months.

10 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

All the silicone based products I've seen are only good for up to 300 degrees or so, though I notice Screwfix have a high temperature sealer that has good reviews, that might do it.  I'm going to replace the Boatman anyway so it's really only a temporary fix in fact I wouldn't have bothered but I guess a cracked stove glass is a BSS fail and mine is due in a couple on months.

I used the envirograf 1200 degree silicone on my collar/flue joint last week before the stove fell apart. Dug it all back out again,so didn't get much of a chance to see if it was any good

13 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Envirograf is good for 1200°C.

http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/high-temperature-clear-silicone-enviromgraf.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwmefOBRBJEiwAf7DstI6vMdmMj4bNw4UnJSjgOU8mO3kSyPW-9IzotegEGNRZzu5N16-1sBoCdDkQAvD_BwE

Damned,  beaten to it by Rusty69. That'll teach me to stop for Sunday lunch. :mellow:

15 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

You should check the BSS as the cracked glass may only be an advisory not a fail, at least the big crack in the back of my stove didn't fail I just had a warning label attached to the side warning not to use it.