Fitting Solar Panels - Reverse Polarity?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

I've fitted a Tracer 4215BN MPPT controller and have 2 x 245W panels to connect to it. I've run the cables between the gap between the steel roof, and wooden ceiling, and they will emerge out of the front mushroom vent.

Unfortunately, I'm not absolutely certain whether I have got the positive and negative connectors on the ends of the right cables where they emerge, (I'm reasonably certain, but not absolutely).

So, if  I connect up to the panels as is, and I've got the polarity wrong, will I damage the panels, or does it not matter, or will the controller with all it's protections, save the day.

I don't want to risk blowing a diode or something in the panels, as it would be easier to withdraw the cables and start again.

42 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It won't damage the panels but it might damage the controller. As said, just put a meter on the wires to determine polarity.

Controller manual says it is protected against reverse polarity. Tested the tails and I've got them the right way round... 

Thanks for the help. Good to go in the morning :)