12volt or mains fridge 2017 figures

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

When I was looking online to buy a mains fridge I looked for the lowest kwh for the fridge size I wanted and didnt consider cost as  part  of the equasion as consumption was of more importance. What I did find was that the fridge I bought was the lowest kwh for size available, it was 160 quid and had a better consumption rate than miele and others at 400 plus quid.

That’s the best way,  however those 400 quid fridges may have had other features (that you you obviously weren’t interested in) but put them in a different rating class but could still be a A+++ fridge.

37 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Good Reviews,great Price,no mention of  Freezer compartment,will will see if they do another Model with Icebox.

No I dont buy freezer compartment types only ever buy larder fridges as we NEVER use anything frozen to cook. Only thing I would occasionaly use would be ice cubes but I keep the gin, tonic and limes in the fridge anyway. A fridge with a little freezer compartment uses at least 50 percent more leccy. The build quality of the fridge is very good.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No I dont buy freezer compartment types only ever buy larder fridges as we NEVER use anything frozen to cook. Only thing I would occasionaly use would be ice cubes but I keep the gin, tonic and limes in the fridge anyway. A fridge with a little freezer compartment uses at least 50 percent more leccy. The build quality of the fridge is very good.

Was just wondering,Ones Boat does, of course, have an Ice Maker.as one is a Posh git(to quote yourself):D 

Just now, cereal tiller said:

Was just wondering,Ones Boat does, of course, have an Ice Maker.as one is a Posh git(to quote yourself):D 

Well if ya wanna do posh...we have a stand alone freezer on our boat............but I dont switch it on :lol:

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Well if ya wanna do posh...we have a stand alone freezer on our boat............but I dont switch it on :lol:

Have one of those,difference is,it is Running,I find it will simply not Freeze Food when unplugged.(I did a Correspondence course in the obvious)some Years ago.:P

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

When I was looking online to buy a mains fridge I looked for the lowest kwh for the fridge size I wanted and didnt consider cost as  part  of the equasion as consumption was of more importance. What I did find was that the fridge I bought was the lowest kwh for size available, it was 160 quid and had a better consumption rate than miele and others at 400 plus quid.

Ahh but for a Hudson you just must have the right name on the front of your fridge, so for some worth paying extra for the Miele name.  

9 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Ahh but for a Hudson you just must have the right name on the front of your fridge, so for some worth paying extra for the Miele name.  

Speaking as an ex Hudson owner I can quite categoricaly state that is incorrect. One has a 70 foot butty with fitted kitchen and equipment onboard it.

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

And how do they work it out? are the summs done at a constant 2 degrees or a constant 8 degrees? is the fridge supposedly stuffed under a kitchen worktop ot in a house outhouse with a cooler surround and air movement etc etc etc?

IIRC it's done at 25°C with the fridge in free air, ie not under a worktop, and no door openings, but ISTR the EU was planning to change it to make it more representative.

9 hours ago, Robbo said:

About 23ah/day @ 12v including inverter loss, but not inverter standby losses which could be roughly the same number.

According to mr shoreline their larder fridge should use 0.8Ah/hr or 19.2Ah/day, which suggests something may be amiss with mrsmellys comparison. I get the impression the 12V fridges are more sensitive to poor ventilation, maybe that was at least partly the case.

9 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Good Reviews,great Price,no mention of  Freezer compartment,will will see if they do another Model with Icebox.

Came across this the other day, 130kWh/yr, 4* icebox, reviews seem decent:

http://www.ao.com/product/nwref50w-newworld-fridge-white-35502-30.aspx

AO had it for £20 less when I last looked, maybe they'll repeat the offer sometime.

Edited by smileypete

2 minutes ago, smileypete said:

IIRC it's done at 25°C with the fridge in free air, ie not under a worktop.

According to mr shoreline their larder fridge should use 0.8Ah/hr or 19.2Ah/day, which suggests something may be amiss with mrsmellys comparison. I get the impression the 12V fridges are more sensitive to poor ventilation, maybe that's partly the case here.

If it’s over 10 years all that dust n fluff on the rad fins will not be good either.

Just now, Robbo said:

If it’s over 10 years all that dust n fluff on the rad fins will not be good either.

Some (most?) new fridges have the condenser build into the sides, which solves the dust problem but doesn't help if the gap at the sides is too small...

newworld_ref50b_bk_07_l.jpg