Knot used to moor

grunders

Featured Posts

I took this photo recently as the knot used to secure the boat intrigued me:

ropework748x802ie0.jpg

I am interested as to whether people think this is just a decorative way of using up spare rope or whether there is any advantage or other reason (apart from decoration) for using this method of tying up, which seems to me to be excessively time-consuming, rather than just use a more conventional knot.

By the way, the same method was used at the stern but rather than just leaving the end of the rope tucked in a gap as in the photo above, it was properly secured with a more conventional knot.

The first thing that I noticed was that it appears to be tied around the exhaust stack, which is far from ideal. The second thing I noticed is that although he's put about 20 or more half hitches in the rope, the mooring pin that it's tied to doesn't look like it'd stay in the ground for too long. The rope could easily slip off the pin.

At least they've gone to the effort of putting a carrier bag around the pin to save peoples shins.

All very pretty but look at the rope where it goes round the pin, could be removed without untying any of the knots and also should be at the base of the pin.

Almost useless B)

Indeed - Looking at my other photo, I think the stern and bow ropes went through rings so were more useful.

Life is too short for that sort of display work - unless of course this is taken out of context and it is a competitor at the all England pointless mooring line tying competition - in which case time well spent !

Good point but then again there is definately something odd about what people think they can do with boaters

I'm sure we've all been peered at closely as we eat our breakfast - would someone stop and peer into your front room at home?

Thanks for that, it is legal, but is it ok?! I dont mind being photograped by tourists as they have an excuse, coming out of blisworth tunel a few months back we got our cameras out and photographed the tourists waiting to photograph us, they got very self concious and confused! hope anyone would ask me before photographing any of my stuff and putting it on here. Silly point probly but makes me feel odd

edited for the one spelling mistake i actually spotted

Edited by tired old pirate

Good point but then again there is definately something odd about what people think they can do with boaters

I'm sure we've all been peered at closely as we eat our breakfast - would someone stop and peer into your front room at home?

We have even had strangers ask if they can come aboard and have a look round - you wouldn't get that in a private house either.

Actually, we don't mind it and in some ways it is quite nice - certainly a boat makes it a lot easier to meet and talk to people.

Some people living in suburban house would not recognise their neighbours if they saw them not lone speak to them or know who they are . . .

I took this photo recently as the knot used to secure the boat intrigued me:

ropework748x802ie0.jpg

I am interested as to whether people think this is just a decorative way of using up spare rope or whether there is any advantage or other reason (apart from decoration) for using this method of tying up, which seems to me to be excessively time-consuming, rather than just use a more conventional knot.

By the way, the same method was used at the stern but rather than just leaving the end of the rope tucked in a gap as in the photo above, it was properly secured with a more conventional knot.

Annoyingly I can't see the photo. I'm guessing it's just me, as you lot are discussing it happily.

Edited by carlt

We have even had strangers ask if they can come aboard and have a look round - you wouldn't get that in a private house either.

Actually, we don't mind it and in some ways it is quite nice - certainly a boat makes it a lot easier to meet and talk to people.

Some people living in suburban house would not recognise their neighbours if they saw them not lone speak to them or know who they are . . .

I dont mind either, I do like to be asked tho! I've seen a few photos taken by other boaters of stuff they think is wrong on other peoples boats etc.. just saying I wouldnt do it myself.

Annoyingly I can't see the photo. I'm guessing it's just me, as you lot are discussing it happily.

You just reposted the photo Carl! Anyone know the LP the boats called after? Ogdens nut gone flake, a classic small faces record, Stanly Unwin is amazing!

I dont mind either, I do like to be asked tho! I've seen a few photos taken by other boaters of stuff they think is wrong on other peoples boats etc.. just saying I wouldnt do it myself.

p1000560.jpg

The above photograph was taken of us last year and subsequently published - if they had asked first we might have had time to put some sensible trousers on!

Asking for a look around is a sure fire way not to get one!

If people are chatty and interested in boats, they may well be invited to come aboard for a look around, but them that are pushy don't get a look in.

Asking for a look around is a sure fire way not to get one!

If people are chatty and interested in boats, they may well be invited to come aboard for a look around, but them that are pushy don't get a look in.

I'm just grateful that anyone will talk to me, if I can get them to come in I can play with them forever and collect their hair.....

I love towpath encounters, theres a kind of synchronicity to the converstaions sometimes which blows me away. Hard to explain but its actually one of the reasons I live on the cut as opposed to marina, I have heard the opposite so orses for corses again innit....

The above photograph was taken of us last year and subsequently published - if they had asked first we might have had time to put some sensible trousers on!

Alnwick

Lovely knees both of you, I have enlarged them and added them to my collection B)

Edited by tired old pirate

As those of us who have had the pleasure of steering traditional boats around will know the problem of people taking photographs is not new. We are usually not fussed by one or two shots but it becomes annoying when excessive and intrusive behaviour ensues. There have been times when I have told people that enough is enough and that the towing path is not a public place and therefore they have no right to take photographs without permission. This has led to some interesting conversations. The worst example we encountered was when bringing Avon down Aston when a very well dressed young lady was taking every opportunity to pose alongside the boat and even leaning on the back cabin. After a couple of locks we realised that her companion was a professional photographer and far from asking permission he became abusive when told to go away. Regards. H.C,

Edited by hughc

As those of us who have had the pleasure of steering traditional boats around will know the problem of people taking photographs is not new. We are usually not fussed by one or two shots but it becomes annoying when excessive and intrusive behaviour ensues. There have been times when I have told people that enough is enough and that the towing path is not a public place and therefore they have no right to take photographs without permission. This has led to some interesting conversations. The worst example we encountered was when bringing Avon down Aston when a very well dressed young lady was taking every opportunity to pose alongside the boat and even leaning on the back cabin. After a couple of locks we realised that her companion was a professional photographer and far from asking permission he became abusive when told to go away. Regards. H.C,

There is a line to be drawn.

I have no problem with being photographed as part of a scene. I have no problem with my boat forming the major part of the scene.

Closer than that, and it is out of order, and words will be had.

Leaning on the back cabin wouldn't be tolerated for an instant.

I usually try to look hacked off in photos, like the boatmen and women used to when confronted with a camera. Or do hand gestures. Or just grin inanely.

I did once drop the trousers and moon someone photographing my boats as we passed each other, but I did recognise him as a particularly obnoxious waterways 'journalist' (using the term in the loosest possible way). He doesn't seem to get much work these days.