Opening Portholes

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I tried a search and although a couple of results came back I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. Basically, we've got a porthole in the back cabin and in the bathroom, and we'd like to try and get a bit more ventilation in there. At the moment they're bog standard fixed brass portholes, but we're thinking of replacing these with the opening variety.

Although I can find half opening hopper type portholes I've not been able to find fully opening ones. Unfortunately I don't know the size of it as I didn't measure it over the weekend, but being pointed in the right direction or if someone could give me any info, I'd be very grateful.

Liam

I believe the opening portholes with wingnuts to clamp it shut are more correctly called "scuttles". Try searching for that.

Oh Er Mister! You wouldn't want to say that too loudly in Portsmouth :unsure:

Oh Er Mister! You wouldn't want to say that too loudly in Portsmouth

Having grown up and lived with the navy, I can tell you that if I mentioned portholes, I would be deafened by the corrective cries of "Scuttles!" Similarly "Brow" instead of gangplank, and astonishingly the navy seem to insist on "Sharp end" and "Blunt end" for bow and stern. Funny bloke Jack, Jenny can be fun mind.

Prop yourself up while being told the price of new a cast bronze one with the wingnut fastening and hinge. They can usually be got on ebay for sensible money. Uxbridge boat centre do lightweight pressed brass ones. Nb cabin tumblehome does make this type leak cos they open inwards. Might be better with hopper types.

nice, but I think that design is always inward opening so it can be operated from inside the cabin of a ship, and may not look quite so cool from the outside.

Chris's point is spot on, to use this type you need the matching brass ring that goes on the outside of the boat and you bolt right through with dome headed brass bolts if you can find any of the right size

Charles

Hi all thanks for the replies.

Chris, Charles, after looking at far too many portholes online, I noticed that although they seem pretty nice etc that they need to be fixed from the inside, and as you say, will need a brass ring covering it from the outside. Probably not the best way to go I don't think.

The opening portholes aren't for my boat anyway, they're for my parents boat, but I'll pass on the info and see what they say.

Thanks again for the replies and the help :unsure:

So in otherwords, something like this?

photooftheportholeshowigx0.jpg

photooftheportholeshowiiy5.jpg

My grandad also took a dislike to the spit 'hopper-top' portholes, and told the guy at worcester marine exactly that.

- And the ask him to make him a set of 'proper' portholes, with hinges at the top, opening outwards, with closers on the inside.

This was 15yo ago mind, and he didnt want to at the time.

- But he did, and so we have them! Even if they have stopped closing now...

Daniel

Davey & co have some proper quality opening port lights. Proper quality price too, ranging from £197.47 to £468.81.

They have a deeper spigot to accommodate thicker planking (in real boats) or a line out in steel ones. And the outer ring.

they don't do internet shopping but the catalogue is a great read on the throne.