Hungry washing machine

larryjc

Featured Posts

Also do don't need the engine and genny/Victron running.  Your batteries can't handle much more than 100amp so your engine by the sounds of it is doing nothing when using the genny.  Your Victron (I presume is a Combi) blew the fuse on the genny (10amp fuse is rught) because it tried to take more amps.  Set the input level on the Victron remote panel and it won't.

Surely all of this 'electrical / hot water in the soap dish' hassle is avoidable.

A 185 watt twin tub (drawing about 18 amps from the batteries) makes life a lot simpler.

Yes there is a bit more 'operator involvement' but the clothes are just as clean, come out dryer, use less electricity and probably less water, the machine is a fraction of the price and 'mobile'.

• Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, larryjc said:

Set to 13 but it wasn't the Victron that tripped it was the fuse in the 3 pin plug on the genny.

A 10A fuse is correct for a 2kW genny. The Victron should have been set to current limit @ 10A.  

3 hours ago, larryjc said:

I just put dirties into a magic bag and expect to see them clean a few days later.

put a soap tab in there tie to stern and thow in canal. Go for a cruise in this beautiful weather and hang then out to dry when you get home. Job Done

6 hours ago, larryjc said:

Well that went well!  Engine and genny going and as soon as the high load came on it blew the fuse in the plug connected to the genny - mind you for some reason it was only a 10Amp one.  I'll have to try again with a new fuse on the next wash day.  But I do like the idea of using hot water and will give that a go next - any idea how much? Or is it just experimentation?

We add 16 litres to our Zanussi compact. If the engine's been running for half an hour or so the water in the calorifier should be up around the 80ºC mark. The heater comes in briefly at around 10 minutes in so your system still needs to be able to supply that current for a minute, say.

3 hours ago, Detling said:

put a soap tab in there tie to stern and thow in canal. Go for a cruise in this beautiful weather and hang then out to dry when you get home. Job Done

Just don't reverse, or your laundry will be shredded through the prop.

Jenny

28 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

We add 16 litres to our Zanussi compact. If the engine's been running for half an hour or so the water in the calorifier should be up around the 80ºC mark. The heater comes in briefly at around 10 minutes in so your system still needs to be able to supply that current for a minute, say.

A minute is no issue but this isn't a compact its fullsize.  I guess we fill it until we can see it through the door.

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

A 10A fuse is correct for a 2kW genny. The Victron should have been set to current limit @ 10A.  

The Victron may need to be set lower,  on paper it's 9amp, but in practise it may be around 8-10amp.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Install Travelpower job sorted. No damage to the batteries and always charging.

My sentiments entirely. Without doubt the best bit of kit on my boat and one I look for when changing boats. Problem is of course retro fitting is quite expensive but less so on such as Beta and Isuzu as kits are available for them. In the long term though I bet they work out cheaper than wrecked batteries etc etc and all done with one dose of fuel.

On 09/04/2017 at 17:12, larryjc said:

A minute is no issue but this isn't a compact its fullsize.  I guess we fill it until we can see it through the door.

Yes, just experiment until you find the level that reduces the machine fill to a minimum. In our case it's about halfway up the door, just below the bottom edge of the handle.

Just a thanks to everyone.  We tried a cold wash which worked Ok but today we did the hot water trick through the soap dispenser and it worked a treat.  At one point the heater cut in only to realise it wasn't needed so Bobs your Auntie.