Engine Vibrations.

Crow

Featured Posts

Further to last weeks post on my Mitsubshi m3 engine fitted in a springer water bug,

After much swapping of engine rubber mounts and only altering the vibrations to another rpm band

I've now got it sorted,I wasn't very happy about getting my pants pulled down for proper vetus mounts at

About £400 a set, and Toro mowers ,as this is what the engine came from ( a large golf course gang mower). £128 each + vat, what planet do these people live on, any way these nice folk at AV industrial products .co.uk Tel 01162 461261. Sorted me out with 4 nice mounts at £ 36.00 for the set !

I've fitted them and every things all good now, your never going to stand a 50 p on its edge on the rocker top but it's not that far away,

I think the proper mounts for a Vetus 3 cylinder are oil damped which is why they are expensive. ordinary rubber mounts might not last too long until you get excessive vibration.

I think you're correct. I know that when I fitted new ones to my m3.10 it made a huge difference. I was really surprised how much better it was.

I've fitted them and every things all good now, your never going to stand a 50 p on its edge on the rocker top but it's not that far away,

I bet I can stand a 50 piece on it's edge on your rocker box.

Bound to fall over if you started the engine though...

I bet I can stand a 50 piece on it's edge on your rocker box.

Bound to fall over if you started the engine though...

I'll give you ten pence for every fifty pence piece you can stand on edge on my rocker box, engine running or not...

Well it's not as I'm doing 1200 miles a year, if it does 500 miles a year max I recon them mounts will last 4 or 5 years,we will see

It's not as if it's a leaky old engine with oil running on the mounts to perish them

Well it's not as I'm doing 1200 miles a year, if it does 500 miles a year max I recon them mounts will last 4 or 5 years,we will see
It's not as if it's a leaky old engine with oil running on the mounts to perish them

Just to make sure you understood Dor's post about oil damped mounts.

He is not saying the mounts are oil resistant but that they are a complex bit of engineering with oil inside them contained in such a way that it damps the vibrations, much like some of the car mounts used on five cylinder engines. Audi comes to mind.

Just to make sure you understood Dor's post about oil damped mounts.

He is not saying the mounts are oil resistant but that they are a complex bit of engineering with oil inside them contained in such a way that it damps the vibrations, much like some of the car mounts used on five cylinder engines. Audi comes to mind.

Much like car shock absorbers with a built-in spring.

Tony I can understand that,but every thing on most people's boats are a compromise ,and what ever I spend on it it'll only be ever worth

10 grand tops.and if it's safe and pleasurable to handle that's good enough for me ,it'll be a lot quieter than the outboard that was on it,

Charge my batteries , be better on fuel, no weed pick up problems thanks to good advice on a keel cooler, and I can wind leg up to clean prop . Just one thing ,are them vetus manifold pressure cap housings prone to leak as mine is , I'm going to weld a new alloy billet one in .it's nearly a proper boat now,thanks all ,Nick

Never a truer word spoken , and it's only 1/2 hr job to change them ,anyway it didn't have fluid filled mounts on a mower or digger engine application and they ran smooth enough,That engine doesn't know it's driving a chiller unit or a space shuttle and it's not going to try to shake its self to bits just because it's in a boat

now ,you've been about long enough to know vetus never made engines, it's a good and easy choice though , as most bits on it are easy to get to ,from my little experience of them the heat exchanger fit ment and rubbers are crap,and the water filler on manifold is as bad

Can't comment on the fitting and workings of secondary water pump ,and thats all they did to them, not real promising for

The amount of money they are,I bet there are better conversions for less cash