Newbie...Trojan t105

Leon 12

Featured Posts

Thinking out loud here.

As long as you stop charging by tail current so battery capacity has no input then if you do your discharge to 50% with something like your typical loads then would you not get a more accurate estimation of USABLE capacity for your boat and your use? I know this would in most cases under estimate the actual capacity but that is all to the good because the amp hour counter would also under estimate the % charge and the time before recharge if you take any notice of those figures.

Cheers Tony, sounds more time feasible to me, 12 hour days is a killer, now im beginning to understand charging regimes. Full charge to tail current,with a once fourtnightly good equalization charge I think im gonna be ok. Im looking at the long term picture of understanding the battery conundrum. Also I imagine that when the sun kicks in its going to be sweet.  As im south facing and going to install controllable tilts for the solar panel. 3 days ago I got 0.58 kwh which for winter/spring is good. Last year the highest I got with two panels 1.09 kwh over the day but at a lower voltage. I have now programmed the controller to Trojans settings.

cheers leon

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Too high a rate will give an apparent lower capacity and too high an apparent higher capacity.

Note anything? ;)

33 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Read it again,  can't see anything wrong with it. Enlighten me please :blink:

On 24/02/2017 at 14:07, Tony Brooks said:

Read back through the topics and you will see far more boaters get into trouble with  destroying batteries by consistently undercharging and the Smartgauge will go about 99% of the way to stopping that. Alternative gauges are likely  to make matters worse in the hands of the "average" boater.

Oh I would say Smartgauge goes 90 to 95% of the way to stopping that. :) And an ammeter can go 100% of the way, or SoSG of course - at a price!

With batts it just needs  the realisation that one can ignore the naysayers, and some of the experts(!), to understand that a little applied knowledge can go a long way...

In the long long term, large lithium batts with built in batt management systems may be the most user friendly solution.

Edited by smileypete

Battery update...... Smart gauge on 76. Victron on 12.54 at 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Took gravity readings...(   Four samples from each cell) it was 1.275 minus 12 points for temp. So all seems ok. The readings I took was 2 ah per one point drop right on the smartgauge. Then as soon as it hit C78 it was 4.75 ah per point. Then solar kicked in and placed 0.64 kWh back into the batteries. The smartgauge never got above C87 but virtually all the ah were replaced.

Day off so an early start.