BATTERY STRAPS.

JACK FELL

Featured Posts

Which skool did you go to?!!

Oops. A very good comp actually, but too many years since I studied/skived at skool!!

No, that's the circumference. Area is πr2

Guilty as charged. Is there a pi symbol on an iPhone? Edited by MHS

Everyone is assuming that the 7mm is the diameter of the copper. From the OP it sounded to me that it was the OD of the cable. Assuming 2mm thickness for the insulation gives 3mm diameter for the copper, or 7mm2 cable as was suggested very many posts back.

This seems an unduly pessimistic rating, even in a poorly ventilated engine space, given that 35 Sq mm cable is nominally rated at 240 amps.

Can you show a reference for this, seems remarkably optimistic.

Normal industry ratings are 178amps single core in free air derated to 154amps when 2cables bunched and 131amps 3 cables bunched.

Normal industry ratings are 178amps single core in free air derated to 154amps when 2cables bunched and 131amps 3 cables bunched.

and don't forget to derate if the cable is in a hot engine room, the derate factor at an ambient of 60c is 50% - see post 22

TO ALL RESPONDENTS,

GOOD EVENING.

OOPS!!! I OPENED A CAN OF WORMS HERE AND I CANNOT GET THE LID BACK ON 3131stop.gif3131stop.gif .

MUST GO NOW I'VE GOT A "PI" IN THE OVEN.

BEST TO ALL,

JACK

Best pies are in Wigan if you are ever passing through ;)

Well there's this one for example

http://www.acornengineer.co.uk/tinned-battery-starter-cable-240amp-black-cut-to-length

looks like a cable rating version of peak music power, at 240amps continuous 35mm cable would be very very hot and the insulation would be starting to melt!

This link is to a data sheet for cable ratings from a manufacturer rather than a reseller

http://www.aeicables.co.uk/cgi-bin/getds.pl?docid=C12.pdf

It does seem to me that automotive companies just use fantasy ratings for their cables...........

Edited by Loddon

looks like a cable rating version of peak music power, at 240amps continuous 35mm cable would be very very hot and the insulation would be starting to melt!

This link is to a data sheet for cable ratings

http://www.aeicables.co.uk/cgi-bin/getds.pl?docid=C12.pdf

It does seem to me that automotive companies just use fantasy ratings for their cables...........

I suspect they are working on the assumption that big currents are only transient on a boat - engine cranking, Inverter surges etc and the rest of the time the 'working' current is much lower. Not many battery banks could manage 240A for more than a few minutes. But it is wrong to state 240A as a continuous rating when it isn't. Likewise they don't mention derating in hot engine bays.

They aren't the only retailers who assume this rating of almost 7 amps per sq mm, I admit I only looked at two, them and Marinestore, as I have purchased items from both in the past so had them bookmarked.

Luckily all my cables are 70 mm to avoid voltage drop so I never gave much thought to their current rating.