Fire extinguisher

kremmen

Featured Posts

Well. After a series of mishaps I was faced with a broken glass on my Squirrel and a firelighter and wood burning away on my wool mat ( covering my nylon carpet tiles ) with flames licking up the wall.

When I couldn't put out the flames with the coal shovel I reached over and used my 1kg powder extinguisher to put those flames out as well as the fire so I could replace the glass with a spare and restart the fire.

The front of the boat is covered with blueish powder but apart from that and a singed mat all is ok.

I can report that 1kg is enough to extinguish a Squirrel ( enough to dispose of contents of the fire in the ash bin)

Can I suggest you check that your extinguisher is near to hand by the fire?

Paul

Well. After a series of mishaps I was faced with a broken glass on my Squirrel and a firelighter and wood burning away on my wool mat ( covering my nylon carpet tiles ) with flames licking up the wall.

When I couldn't put out the flames with the coal shovel I reached over and used my 1kg powder extinguisher to put those flames out as well as the fire so I could replace the glass with a spare and restart the fire.

The front of the boat is covered with blueish powder but apart from that and a singed mat all is ok.

I can report that 1kg is enough to extinguish a Squirrel ( enough to dispose of contents of the fire in the ash bin)

Paul

But don't have it too near. The stove is a highly likely source of a fire on a narrowboat, and you want to be able to grab the extinguisher, not be held back by the flames.

Wow. 1st replies are assuming things that I do know and practice.

I just thought I would send out a saftey reminder.

Maybe I need to adjust the way I read the replies and see them as helpful additional information.

There. Adjustment made.

Thanks.

Paul

• Greenie 1

Maybe I need to adjust the way I read the replies and see them as helpful additional information.

There. Adjustment made.

Thanks.

Paul

Don't take a fence where none was intended!

wink.png

There. Adjustment made.

Thanks.

Paul

The reason I made my comment is that I've just bought new extinguishers, in time for the BSC and one was mounted quite close to the stove. It occurred to me that it would be better mounted a couple of metres back away from the stove. It wasn't meant as a criticism!

Now, most people carry enough extinguisher capacity to meet the BSS. Not many carry more.

Now, what happens if you use one, satisfactorily like with the OP. You are now on a boat that no longer satisfies the BSS ! so if there was a repeat a week later say, heaven forbid, would the insurance pay out if your remaining extinguisher was unable to put the next fire out?

Maybe if you have time expired extinguishers, is it best to try to use them first, and risk precious time should they fail?

I read this when people were disposing of distress flares, keep the old ones, use first, again time is of the essence.

My extinguishers show no expiry date, they just have the pressure gauge, the BSS examiner was happy to pass them as satisfactory.

Should we be giving the powder extinguishers a shake now and again, to make sure the contents haven't settled into solid lump?

I think I have just talked myself into getting another extinguisher lol

Now, most people carry enough extinguisher capacity to meet the BSS. Not many carry more.

Now, what happens if you use one, satisfactorily like with the OP. You are now on a boat that no longer satisfies the BSS ! so if there was a repeat a week later say, heaven forbid, would the insurance pay out if your remaining extinguisher was unable to put the next fire out?

Maybe if you have time expired extinguishers, is it best to try to use them first, and risk precious time should they fail?

I read this when people were disposing of distress flares, keep the old ones, use first, again time is of the essence.

My extinguishers show no expiry date, they just have the pressure gauge, the BSS examiner was happy to pass them as satisfactory.

Should we be giving the powder extinguishers a shake now and again, to make sure the contents haven't settled into solid lump?

I think I have just talked myself into getting another extinguisher lol

Yes you should shake them, the vibration makes the powder settle hard in the bottom, If you use one in that state the CO2 will go down the dip tube and lift a small amount of powder but no where near all of it, if you open it afterwards you would find the powder round the edge of the container and a hole where the gas lifted it down the middle. I would suggest that someone who runs their engine every day should shake them at least twice a year.

Since owning my boat I have made it a routine to shake all three extinguisher monthly, on the firate day of the month. I also run the Webasto for all while at the same time, to ensure it always has fresh fuel in it.

I am considering buying a hanheld water mist extinguisher to supplement the powder ones required by the BSS, because they can extinguish a fire (including electrical ones) without making a huge mess.

Paul

Thanks for the timely reminder and glad all is now well. My BSS requires that I have 3 extinguishers, 1 by the squirrel, 1 by the cooker and 1 in the engine room. I also have a fire blanket in the kitchen in case of a pan fire.

Thanks for the timely reminder and glad all is now well. My BSS requires that I have 3 extinguishers, 1 by the squirrel, 1 by the cooker and 1 in the engine room. I also have a fire blanket in the kitchen in case of a pan fire.

I don't think it specifies where you have to have them

Three on mine, one near stern doors in the bedroom, one near stove in the saloon, one near back door in the kitchen.

The thing I worry about is remembering where they are should a fire break out early hours and fumbling in the dark to grab it, although I guess first priority would be to exit the boat as a 1kg might be no good if the fire is too big!

Edited by Dave Payne

Three on mine, one near stern doors in the bedroom, one near stove in the saloon, one near back door in the kitchen.

The thing I worry about is remembering where they are should a fire break out early hours and fumbling in the dark to grab it, although I guess first priority would be to exit the boat as a 1kg might be no good if the fire is too big!

Ask a professional firefighter what he would do with a 1 Kg extinguisher.

Ask a professional firefighter what he would do with a 1 Kg extinguisher.

When I worked with the armed forces we had annual firefighting training and it is quite surprising how large a fire you can tackle with a 1kg extinguisher. The best advice I was given was to aim at the base of the fire. People understandably panic and spray it at the leaping flames.

As a retired airport fireman. A 1kg firex is OK for what it's made for -small fires. Keep a few so that with one used, you are still within BSS.

If you have expired extinguishers that cannot be retested then PLAY! Get a small fire and try to put it out. Most people are more scared by the rush from a firex than the fire, so they misuse the extinguisher first, then there may not be much left for the fire.

Real wool is good because it's really hard to keep burning.

I do like modern fire blankets, they are totally reuseable. The sand filled fire bucket is the cheapest extinguisher,ideal for small site fires. But I doubt it's BSS certification!

Edited by Arthur Brown

I always understood that the fire extinguishers on a boat were there to help you escape, not put the fire out. Though I am sure we would try to if the fire wasn't too big.