Real narrowboat living battle with CRT

narrowboatham

Featured Posts

Whilst conveniently choosing to ignore the context. I think you're just posting to stir things up.

That's what you say every time someone disagrees with you. And you calling me 'hard of thinking' isn't trying to stir things up?

Edited by lulu fish

That's what you say every time someone disagrees with you.

No I don't. Another baseless assertion from you!

Unless you can cite say, half a dozen examples. But even if you can, I'll easily cite one example where I didn't say it which will prove you wrong. Yet again. :)

Can you give an example then of where 'Guilty' isn't either a decision made by a tribunal of some sort, or the incorrect usage of the word guilt?

I have never heard "guilty" used where "guilt" should have been, as the former is the adjective from the latter, which is a noun. That is the difference between the two words.

*Hands lulu fish a mirror*

I have provided a coherent argument and the dictionary definition of the word.

You have just repeated the phrase "no it isn't" , accused me of stirring things up for disagreeing with you, and called me hard of thinking.

Who is the troll here?

Edited by lulu fish
  • Greenie 1

I have never heard "guilty" used where "guilt" should have been, as the former is the adjective from the latter, which is a noun. That is the difference between the two words.

So how do you feel an adjective? You can feel hate (noun), love (noun),anger (noun)and guilt (noun) with guilty being an adjective how do you 'feel' that? Surely you feel guilt. So for an example where guilty was used when guilt should have been, post #66 would be a good place to lookrolleyes.gif

I have provided a coherent argument and the dictionary definition of the word.

You have just repeated the phrase "no it isn't" , accused me of stirring things up for disagreeing with you, and called me hard of thinking.

Who is the troll here?

You are.

Failing to follow the logic of the discussion, ignoring the context and posting silly inflammatory comments = trolling.

So how do you feel an adjective? You can feel hate (noun), love (noun),anger (noun)and guilt (noun) with guilty being an adjective how do you 'feel' that?

It was much too long ago that I learned grammar to remember the detail of it, but surely it is quite legitimate to say "I feel sad/happy/stupid" - are they adjectival nouns or something?

All of the 'above', (interesting as it is) does not remove the fact that the onus is on the boater, if challenged, to prove they are in compliance with the regulations.

If anyone wishes to view that as contravening the assumption that they are 'innocent until PROVEN guilty' they are at liberty to do so.

Yup, I'll accept that I was wrong, they are all indeed adjectivesunsure.png

You beat me to it! (I had been concentrating on the England v. India cricket match on the radio). England are doing well, so I feel cheerful (adjective).biggrin.png

Can you give an example then of where 'Guilty' isn't either a decision made by a tribunal of some sort, or the incorrect usage of the word guilt?

How about "He was guilty of not reading threads properly"? Not aimed at anyone in this thread.

Or, "She was guilty of going to the cinema when she said she would pick the children up from school"

England are doing well, so I feel cheerful (adjective).biggrin.png

And I feel much cheered (verb).

How about "He was guilty of not reading threads properly"? Not aimed at anyone in this thread.

Or, "She was guilty of going to the cinema when she said she would pick the children up from school"

And I feel much cheered (verb).

Nope: a participle adjective.

tongue.png

It's the past participle of a verb, but used as an adjective, so in a way we are both correctish.

I gutted the fish - verb.

When England lost, I felt gutted - participle adjective.

(Come to think of it, I bet the fish felt that way too).

It's the past participle of a verb, but used as an adjective, so in a way we are both correctish.

I gutted the fish - verb.

When England lost, I felt gutted - participle adjective.

(Come to think of it, I bet the fish felt that way too).

Well the fish was certainly gutted, however he felt.

Not particularly good examples if I may say so since in both instances a third party is making a judgement upon them (could have been a tribunalrolleyes.gif ). ' She said she was guilty ' might have been a better example depending upon whether what she said she was guilty of was an offence (Criminal, civil or moral).

Not particularly good examples if I may say so since in both instances a third party is making a judgement upon them (could have been a tribunalrolleyes.gif ). ' She said she was guilty ' might have been a better example depending upon whether what she said she was guilty of was an offence (Criminal, civil or moral).

The latter example is a simple statement of fact. She should have been picking the kids up from school. She didn't. She was guilty of going to the cinema instead. There's no judgment by anyone, simply an observation.

The latter example is a simple statement of fact. She should have been picking the kids up from school. She didn't. She was guilty of going to the cinema instead. There's no judgment by anyone, simply an observation.

And who makes this observation then if it isn't a third party? And I would suggest that to say that someone is guilty might be construed as judgemental.....perhaps,no?rolleyes.gif

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

What if going to the cinema was an innocent mistake? Say, her watch had stopped or she had amnesia?

There's the judgement.....