Wooden boat repair / maintenance

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi all first off all best for tomorrow night smile.png

I am going to look into the dreaded wooden boat ownership, yes folk will say i am barmy and i agree biggrin.png . I see some cracking wooden boats around, now just thinking mind you, but I wonder about owning one A project will likely be the one sought after. There fore it will need work doing, within reason of my capabilities as a joiner though. I have no worries on doing any work needed and it is a good way to learn more by getting stuck in.

I understand there is a lot of upkeep to them and ways around making life easier and longer lasting like GRP sheathing etc.

Can anybody point me to a good read on repairs to wooden boats and maintenance. Internet would be better than books as my eyes are not much cop for books.

Once again all best and bring on 2017, looking forward to new ventures :)

W + T :)

Do you ever finish a boat

lol Rach, from what I have heard i need to research so long time yet if i do get one.

It will make interesting reading if i dont get one ;0

One of my best web sites, i drool over the boats every week lol. One I would be after would be around 45 foot though. Dont do things by half :)

One of my best web sites, i drool over the boats every week lol. One I would be after would be around 45 foot though. Dont do things by half smile.png

This is the one I keep going back to ; But, I already have 2 'Ocean Going' boats - do I really want another ? (4500 litre fuel tank !!!, I though my 2700 litre tank on the cruiser was bad enough)

http://www.findafishingboat.com/steel-ex-usa-naval-craft-built-by-higgins-of-new-orleans/ad-81205

Could be really nice stripped out and 'modernised'

Shut your eyes jump in with open arms a bit of free cash and lots of time and join the club.

Just dont buy most not all but most of the historic boats for sale at the mo.

There is a very nice wooden boat i know for sale think it still is its about 30foot i think built in the 70s if im right in Dunstable and luton boat club i can get hold of details (that is a nice boat if your after that fiberglass style but in wood)

I would sell you mine but im not dead so you cant have her.

This is the one I keep going back to ; But, I already have 2 'Ocean Going' boats - do I really want another ? (4500 litre fuel tank !!!, I though my 2700 litre tank on the cruiser was bad enough)

http://www.findafishingboat.com/steel-ex-usa-naval-craft-built-by-higgins-of-new-orleans/ad-81205

Could be really nice stripped out and 'modernised'

That is a stonker of a boat . make a great live aboard and refit as you go.

Shut your eyes jump in with open arms a bit of free cash and lots of time and join the club.

Just dont buy most not all but most of the historic boats for sale at the mo.

There is a very nice wooden boat i know for sale think it still is its about 30foot i think built in the 70s if im right in Dunstable and luton boat club i can get hold of details (that is a nice boat if your after that fiberglass style but in wood)

I would sell you mine but im not dead so you cant have her.

I would of been tempted but if I do it would need to be a lot bigger as it is/would to be used as a live aboard.

All i need to do at the minute is look into repairing them. I know of a dream boat....most are lol that is on hard standing in Devon, Watermouth Cove harbour. I sat there just drooling over it for hours when i was down there a few year back. Is in a bad state though.

This keeps catching my eye.

http://www.clippermarine.co.uk/boat-for-sale/C-Kip-44-Flush-Deck-FOR-SALE-5988842.html

Not wood but in the style of and certainly plenty of woodwork in the interior to keep on top of.

I do have a 'soft spot' for Trawler Yachts That looks a very good price.

I am currently trying to buy an 'abandoned' 40 foot Grand Banks in our marina. It was left to the guy in his fathers 'will'. It has not been even started in the last 10 years and is going 'green and slimy' its a terrible shame.

He has no interest in it and is not a boater but reckons the will says he cannot sell it. Its getting so run down the marina have moved it 'to the back' as it was becoming an eyesore.

I am currently trying to buy an 'abandoned' 40 foot Grand Banks in our marina. It was left to the guy in his fathers 'will'. It has not been even started in the last 10 years and is going 'green and slimy' its a terrible shame.

He has no interest in it and is not a boater but reckons the will says he cannot sell it. Its getting so run down the marina have moved it 'to the back' as it was becoming an eyesore.

Yes. I like the Corvette 320 but it isn't really suitable for how we boat at the moment.

That is s bloody annoying, must be a way around it.

One thing when i look for my next boat is to look around all boat yards for these abandoned boats, get them at great prices. At the yard i was last at there must of been a dozen i sold for the previous owner, some i bought and sold on.

Yes. I like the Corvette 320 but it isn't really suitable for how we boat at the moment.

The 320 is surprisingly small - the saloon is lounge, dining room and kitchen all in one space, it is badly designed (we looked at one at Newark marina, which ended up moored next to us in Hull marina, it then went off to the Channel islands).

The inside space is much, much more restricted than our 36 footer.

The Corvette has had a very chequered build history with several manufacturers of which some have a terrible name for quality - the ones built in Nottingham were (apparently) some of the best ones.

The 320 is surprisingly small - the saloon is lounge, dining room and kitchen all in one space, it is badly designed (we looked at one at Newark marina, which ended up moored next to us in Hull marina, it then went off to the Channel islands).

The inside space is much, much more restricted than our 36 footer.

The Corvette has had a very chequered build history with several manufacturers of which some have a terrible name for quality - the ones built in Nottingham were (apparently) some of the best ones.

We looked at the same one. Bearing in mind we currently have a 23ft boat it felt quite large for a 32ft boat. We particularly liked the outside space.

These guides produced by West are detailed and informative

link

by eck at last a reply to the question in the OP :) after asking on various forums aswell.

Thanks, after a quick read sounds a good one ;)

A wooden boat is like a cat - it does not have a 'master' it has 'slaves'

A Steel boat is like a 'communist' - every one is equal if you look after it, it will look after you.

A GRP boat is like a 'dog', will do anything to please you, is faithful and accepting of its 'master' love.

Edited by Alan de Enfield