Re-Packing Stern gland

Featured Posts

Barb has a layabout hubby called Jim.

Well, i dont know much about this Jim charachter you mention but rumor has it that barb has a forward facing point and a second point on the side facing backwards.

Must be a real pain when getting on a packed bus.

?confused? - me

"don't put lots of greese on and titghtned th nut"

The diagram above and copied text confuses me somewhat - the most important bit missing is that there should be a greaser tube and a short bit of pipe running into the gland about where the end of the arrow by 'pusher' is.

Just greasing the shaft by the adjuster or within it won't be a lot of use.

The greaser is usually a brass tube threaded at either end - like this -

16056_450_450.jpg

You remove the tube fill it with (preferably) water repellent grease such as Morriss' K99 and wind the handle down to grease the stern tube.

Nobody has mentioned this and it may be the missing link.

OR

I'm misinterpreting the Op's statement above.

(Often the tube assembly is mounted remotely from the stern tube and no immediately obvious what it does.....

I think the grease gun is taken for granted, to make the diagram simpler. No propeller either.

:)

:)

Laurie.Booth, on 10 Nov 2016 - 3:20 PM, said:

I think the grease gun is taken for granted, to make the diagram simpler. No propeller either.

smile.png

smile.png

WotEver, on 10 Nov 2016 - 3:27 PM, said:

... or gearbox...

Tut, tut gentlemen -

Cutlass 24 says he's new to boating - so may/ may not know how the dratted thins is supposed to work. The only guide he has is the excellent drawing showing the adjuster system.

He replies stating that he had 'put grease on it' which could mean he'd filled the tube with grease - or more likely, put some grease around the shaft. Given the amount of information on this thread - that's what I would have done in his position.

For me - I enjoy the jokes - but don't want to confuse the poor lad.........

Tut, tut gentlemen -

Cutlass 24 says he's new to boating - so may/ may not know how the dratted thins is supposed to work. The only guide he has is the excellent drawing showing the adjuster system.

He replies stating that he had 'put grease on it' which could mean he'd filled the tube with grease - or more likely, put some grease around the shaft. Given the amount of information on this thread - that's what I would have done in his position.

Agree

Tut, tut gentlemen -

I think you are right, hope the OP is OK with the information given.