Chimney

dr00020

Featured Posts

Hi,

So I had a chimney sweeper come today. He told me that it was sealed badly at the top by the roof but didn't provide me with much expertise as what to do except he put some heat resistant tape around it and told me to paint over it with stove paint. Is this a big problem? Should I not be sealing it with silicone rather than tape? And what is the point of sealing? Sorry excuse my ignorance.

Thanks

David

Hi,

So I had a chimney sweeper come today. He told me that it was sealed badly at the top by the roof but didn't provide me with much expertise as what to do except he put some heat resistant tape around it and told me to paint over it with stove paint. Is this a big problem? Should I not be sealing it with silicone rather than tape? And what is the point of sealing? Sorry excuse my ignorance.

Thanks

David

Hi

There are some very high temperature silicons now that do a good job. There is some 1200 degree stuff on fleabay for about 12 quid a tube I have used to good effect.

Just checked 9 quid plus postage.

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

That's clever. I'd seen silicon recommended but thought it was a daft idea. Will be buying some of this, thanks!

It is good at both ends of the flue and will not melt. Of course being silicone if used outside for instance round the collar on the roof it cannot be painted but this should be of no consequence. I put it inside and outside so under and over the roof collar as a good seal and it will allow small movement of the chimney/flue as is necessary. Also where the flue enters the stove.

Tim

I'm struggling to visualise what sort of an arrangement you have that makes it possible to seal with tape. Where exactly did the tape go? The usual arrangement is for the flue to pass through a thick collar fixed externally to the roof and over which the external chimney fits. The small gap if any between flue and collar is sealed with fireproof material (rockwool or glassfibre) plus sealant. It's not necessary to use the very high temperature sealant at this point - ordinary plumbaflue will be fine. Try to get all traces of soot and tar off before sealing, or it won't stay sealed.

I'm struggling to visualise what sort of an arrangement you have that makes it possible to seal with tape. Where exactly did the tape go? The usual arrangement is for the flue to pass through a thick collar fixed externally to the roof and over which the external chimney fits. The small gap if any between flue and collar is sealed with fireproof material (rockwool or glassfibre) plus sealant. It's not necessary to use the very high temperature sealant at this point - ordinary plumbaflue will be fine. Try to get all traces of soot and tar off before sealing, or it won't stay sealed.

Completely true. I use the high melting stuff cos its great on the stove itself and so I can have one tube that does any job stove wise. Tight arse Yorkie biggrin.png

Tim

OK, some pictures that may help the OP if indeed the problem is sealing a conventional multi-fuel stove flue from the elements.

IMG_0604_zpssgahiumn.jpg

Is yours a standard roof collar and chimney like this? You will note that the edges of the collar are sealed where it meets the roof. The sealant I have used claims to be paintable although it was unreassuringly cheap. I shall know for sure next spring. If you don't keep this sealed water can get under the collar and will cause corrosion where the hole is cut in the roof and could get inside the boat and cause dampness in the ceiling construction.

IMG_0607_zpshcdph1vb.jpg

With the chimney removed from the collar this view is looking down at the top of the flue pipe inside the collar. The red stuff is high temperature silicon sealant used to seal the gap between the collar and the flue pipe. Beneath this sealant is a ring of fire rope which secures the flue pipe inside the collar allowing it to expand and contract and preventing conduction of heat into the collar. The rope isn't waterproof hence the need for sealant. Failure to keep this sealed will result in tarry/sooty/rusty water running down the outside of the flue pipe into the boat. The seal also has to be flexible so I don't think tape and stove paint is good for anything.

IMG_0602_zps0cmrduzt.jpg

The lack of seal in the collar is what has created the staining in the heat wrap I have around the flue. Note there is no sealant on the internal fitting where the flue exits the boat. The seal needs to be on the outside.

If the sweep was worried about sealing to prevent smoke and gas escaping into the boat then fire cement is the stuff you need (and a structurally sound stove and flue). But I think the sweep would know that.

And if you have a 100mm diameter straight flue you should be able to clean it yourself with a wire brush attached to a long piece of dowel or similar.

JP

Off topic but i need to ask, do many people have a sweep come to clean there boat chimneys?

Ian.

We did have till recently. Bob more commonly known as " Chiefy " round these parts did them along here for years. He finished last winter and no longer does it blush.png

Tim

I do ours myself with a brush, it seems a very simple task. Am i missing something here?

Ian.

No you are not missing something but do you do everything for yourself? many tasks are simple such as oil change etc but you would be suprised how many people pay to have it done. Doing a proper job of cleaning the stove is a very very mucky job, one which Bob did and cleaned up well after himself for 15 quid. Now we all spend our money as we feel fit and I was not getting minging dirty for 15 quid!! I do my own oil though biggrin.png

Tim

I do ours myself with a brush, it seems a very simple task. Am i missing something here?

Ian.

Me too. Top baffle plate out, doors shut, vents closed. Boogie out from above with a plastic bag pushed over the non bristle end of the brush so that when the mucky spikey bit comes back out its straight into a bag. No mess upwards, all the soot that drops into the stove is riddled into the ash pan and ditched.

We did have till recently. Bob more commonly known as " Chiefy " round these parts did them along here for years. He finished last winter and no longer does it :blush:

Tim

I'll happily do yours for 15 quid Tim, and you can even call me 'Chiefy' if you like, although it's 30 years since I was one of those!

Completely true. I use the high melting stuff cos its great on the stove itself and so I can have one tube that does any job stove wise. Tight arse Yorkie biggrin.png

Tim

Yes, same here, but I was just saying that the red plumbaflue which is more readily available is OK for the top.

Did you find when you lit the stove the high temperature stuff gave off noxious fumes for a while? I had to vacate the boat for an hour. In Wigan. In the rain.

Yes, same here, but I was just saying that the red plumbaflue which is more readily available is OK for the top.

Did you find when you lit the stove the high temperature stuff gave off noxious fumes for a while? I had to vacate the boat for an hour. In Wigan. In the rain.

Blimey mate you were brave getting off the boat in Wigan laugh.png . Yes if I recall it whiffs a fair bit just like the paint does unless you paint the stove a month or so before winter use..The stuff on fleabay is good.

Tim