direct supply from battery charger

14skipper

Featured Posts

Was talking to a sparky the other day about fitting a new battery charger.And he said that l could buy a charger that chargers battery bank and will also supply 12v power direct to my 12v system is this right ?

if so what charger is this or how is it done ?

14skipper

Was talking to a sparky the other day about fitting a new battery charger.And he said that l could buy a charger that chargers battery bank and will also supply 12v power direct to my 12v system is this right ?

14skipper

Yes you could. Caravans have them. They supply a fixed 13.6V.

They're rubbish for marine use and you'll end up with sulphate batteries.

14skipper

All marine multi stage chargers do this, you just wire the charger up and bobs ya uncle it done.

Some chargers don't even need a battery and can provide power alone (I have a Victron one that can do this)

All marine multi stage chargers do this, you just wire the charger up and bobs ya uncle it done.

Some chargers don't even need a battery and can provide power alone (I have a Victron one that can do this)

True of course, but probably not what the sparky was thinking of.

on a previous boat I had one of these

https://www.portablepowertech.com/product/premium-30a-12v-battery-charger/

I was wired post master switch so when on my moorings I could switch off the batteries and run from the charger.

Ran everything even the Mikuni......

Also its a good charger, there is a 60A version as well but 30a was all I needed.

Thanks for answers.So what charger will allow me too wire direct to 12v system and only charge battery bank when l want ?

14skipper

Most of the Marine chargers are likely to. Best to check with the manufacturer that the one you have in mind won't shut down in the absence of a battery.

Thanks for answers.So what charger will allow me too wire direct to 12v system and only charge battery bank when l want ?

14skipper

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would want to do that? If you keep the batteries on charge while on shore power they will stay properly charged and last longer than if you don't. So what would be the point of switching the charger off?

Exactly.

Edited by blackrose

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would want to do that? If you keep the batteries on charge while on shore power they will stay properly charged and last longer than if you don't. So what would be the point of switching the charger off?

I think (could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time) that OP has yet to fit any batteries, so he's looking to get a charger that will give him a 12V supply in the mean time.

Don.nt understand why batteries have to be on charge 24/7 even a trickle ? after all a car battery is on charged when car is being used and then left until next use which could be days/weeks.

So can l not charge them only when they need it,and then run my 12v system direct from the charger and not from batteries ?

Don.nt understand why batteries have to be on charge 24/7 even a trickle ? after all a car battery is on charged when car is being used and then left until next use which could be days/weeks.

So can l not charge them only when they need it,and then run my 12v system direct from the charger and not from batteries ?

For maximum life a lead acid battery should be kept in a fully charged state. If unused then it should be periodically charged (say every month or two) to counter self-discharge. Keeping it on a float charge 24/7 will maximise its life, never allowing it to drop from 100% SoC.

There is a huge difference between vehicle usage and leisure usage that a lot of folk don't appreciate. In a vehicle the only work the battery has to do is to start the engine. The alternator then runs all the services and electronics and simultaneously puts the few Ah used for engine starting back into the battery. The car battery is not expected to power anything except the starter (and radio presets etc).

Edited to add the bit about Float.

Edited by WotEver

The advantage of a battery system is that they will support high currents for short periods (if properly charged!) probably in the order of 200a for minutes, but a power supply may well close down (nicely or badly according to price) on a 10% overload.

Yes you can buy a switch mode PSU from RS (or ebay) that turns mains into 12(ish) volts steadily. With a charger like this probably a system voltage if about 13.2 to 13.5 would be good so that the battery approaches fully charged then goes to float, but doesn't gas, and the appliances are never stressed by 15.7 periods of fast charge or equalising.

But why?