Peppermint pig update on out board to inboard

Crow

Featured Posts

At last progress on my transplant of a l3 Mitsubshi and Enfield leg to a springer fitted with a outboard .well I've cut out all the offending metalwork there's room for a rover v8 now, on good advice from a forum member I'll be adding 200 MM to the counter and radiusing the vertical outer corners 200 MM,

Enabling a rearward engine/ drive arrangement further away from cabin area,the extra 200 MM area/ displacement will carry a extra 80 ( kg ish) well that's the leg and part engine weight,the rest of the Additional added weight is removal of outboard,I didn't know how heavy they are until I took it off,

15 hp mercury Bigfoot ,I could just lift it and move it a foot at a time,

post-19989-0-17943200-1477854341_thumb.jpg

post-19989-0-67500900-1477854380_thumb.jpg

post-19989-0-94208300-1477854566_thumb.jpg

Thanks for having a look at post ,I've made up the new transom today with 200 MM radius on the corners, a new section of counter 200 wide and a plate to weld in the bottom of the old weed hatch,I'll not get chance to fit and weld till weekend now the dark nights are here,

But busy removing grubscrews ,welding the Enfield steering yoke and re tapping for stainless grubscrews on all pivot points,cal you should have had a word,I was busy I took the pig out and a friends westerly ,that was fun with them 2 keels,I struggled to get the trailer

Deep enough, I'll add photos as I progress this next weekend ,regards

• 2 weeks later...

will you be fitting a plate to fair off that triangular vertical plate to ensure better flow to the prop and reduce turbulence?

That was my first reaction when saw the bottom of that pig, and have a elegant solution to it, problem is he have to pull out the insulation and lining + more to weld it in. meaning it take more work on the inside then outside. as it is now those plates create 2 big vortexes that reduce speed, but hopefully they lay down the weed outward on each side.

post-9340-0-64741600-1480595542_thumb.jpg

post-9340-0-13950400-1480595634_thumb.jpg

post-9340-0-77346900-1480595732_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dalslandia

I know your both right,and I can't understand springer making it like it is, it wouldn't have cost any more to flair the swims off,when made new,

It's niggling me that I can do it easy but it means removing floor,kingspan ,cupboards etc,I'll try it like it is,after all it's been like it for 40 years, and a 9 hp outboard moved it, I've had a 15 hp outboard on for 2 years, this inboard is 25 hp so it should drive it ok,I hope.

I've got all deck drainage channels welded in and 3 lids made and fitted,one for gas locker,engine cover and one that I don't know

What to use for,if the boat sits fairly level when i launch it I might use it as a derv tank, if not I'll have to shoehorn one in next to water tank under front deck

I have several things I would like to change on my boat too, but there is always a but. one thing is the inflow to the prop, the transom and other things.

Is all Springers made like this? I don't get it, the sharp end of the hull is very boat like and nice, but the swim and transom looks like someone els made that. without thoughts.